2ND TRY
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC

Looks like this one worked.

Just finished this one. Revell 1949 Merc custom with Caddy engine with minor engine detailing. Interior is painted a combination of SEM upholstery paint and Testors red metalflake with gold thread piping. I customized a 1940 Ford steering wheel and made a lathe turned steering column and horn button. Wheels and tires are Revell 1940 Ford with Parts by Parks spun aluminum moon caps. I added tunneled taillights, a tunneled license plate and a sunken antenna to the rear. The tailights are 59 Caddy from an old Revell parts pack from the 60's and the rear bumpers are from an AMT parts pack from the 60"s. Hope these pics come through since I havent posted anything for some time and forget how to do this.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
Oh now that's cool! Old school black suede paint job, eight ball shift knob...I can picture flames shootin out of the tail pipes when the gas is hit.....Cooooool!
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC

Sweet, sweet, SWEET ride man! Awesome lines. Good recesses (seriously!) and damn, if that doesn't look drivable.

Awesome!
Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 06:43 PM UTC
Awesome build Gary. Smooth paintjob, Sharp chrome work and excellent engine details.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 11:56 PM UTC
That is one gorgeous car! I'm a big fan of the matte black paint. It's a color lots of people don't like, but I think if it's done right it looks better than anything else!

Just out of curiosity, how did you apply your paint. Yours looks so smooth and I don't know how you could do it without sanding and polishing, which would obviously produce a shine.
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I did forget to mention that the paint is spray canTamiya TS-63 Nato black which looks real close to to the old Pactra hot rod primer color to me. I really think that the paint coming out so smooth was dumb luck. Here are the steps that I used.
1) Sand and prime the body with Tamiya gray primer, prime with automotive primer and one final coat of Tamiya primer sanding with 400 wet or dry between each coat.
2) Airbrush 3 coats of Tamiya XF-69 Nato black acrylic paint--I like to use an acrylic paint as a sealer coat. Wet sanded the final coat of XF-69 with 1200 grit wet or dry sandpaper.
3) Warm the Tamiya TS-63 spray can paint slightly in warm water and spray on two mist coats.
4) Spray on one last heavy coat of the Tamiya TS-63 spray.

It did come out nice and smooth. The hard part was to be real carefull with final assembly so not to cause any shiny spots or leave finger prints. If I do another primer car, I may try a final coat of Testors dullcote--I have read that this prevents any shiny spots from handling. And actually a primer paint job is just as hard to do as a gloss paint job which was a surprise for me.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
Love the hub caps.
Clean lines are great.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 - 10:42 PM UTC

That is one sweet looking rod...errrr, custom. I mean, kustom. I especially like the rear end treatment, with the classic '59 Caddy lights. There are also a bunch of cool details, like the frenched antenna, the black Cali plate (and PE frame), the aluminum steering column and the pinstriping on the cowl. I was half expecting a pair of Appletons, but the car looks great without them. Good call on the interior colors, too. The gold thread is a nice touch.

The paint is really well done. Laying down a good, in scale, flat black primer finish is no easy task, as you know. It came out looking fantastic. And yes, Dullcote will help with the reduction of fingerprints.

BTW, your mention of Pactra hot rod primer sure brings back memories. Man, some of us have been doing this a long time, eh?

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 01:51 AM UTC
Awsome work Gary that is one cool ride and i don't think the paint was luck just hard work, super clean build i hope we will see more from you in the future.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2008 - 08:23 AM UTC
That is a seriously nice lead sled you have there

Well done.
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Thanks everybody. I want to mention that the Revell and AMT parts pack parts that I used in this build were bought by me back in the 60's so I have been playing with plastic for a long time--seems like just yesterday that I bought them though. I remember that I was with my girlfriend at the time in a downtown department store and they had a bunch of parts packs on sale. She said "we dont want to look at those" and I said "yes we do want to look at those". I bought a pile of them for 10 cents each that day. The girl is long gone but the parts packs are still here so I got the better end of the deal in this case--LOL.

I will post more (I have a bunch of half finished projects) cars as I finish them, but that may take a bit since I build other types of models too. I may post some pics of some of my older builds since it seems pretty slow here. Wish there were more car builders.
 _GOTOTOP