60's & 70's Classics
1 week auto build Nova SS
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 03:43 PM UTC

A couple pics of my 1969 Nova SS this is the first time i painted the engine to match the body i think i like it this way, i decided not to prime the body because of the limited time we have to build and this gave me some trouble because not all of the seams and edges covered fully with the spray can so i got out my airbrush and repainted them and it looks like it covered. The intake manifold and headers were painted with Alcad, next up i will spray the chassis and interior that should go quickly as they will both be flat black, so far i have stuck to my build time of 3 hours a day i think i will need to speed things up a bit to stay with in that time frame.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 06:58 PM UTC
Looking good Robert. Cool choice of color. The Alclad loks great. Gotta try it, on my next build.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
Nice work Rob! I love Novas, even though I saw one that got tweaked because the engine had so much torque that it actually bent the car!
I like the "same color" idea concerning the body and engine. I'm betting that will look nice.

Very cool so far.
Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:56 AM UTC
Thanks guys, i will have to buff the paint out because it's a little dull so i will wait a few more days for it to cure, to day i work on the interior and maybe some of the suspenion components.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 01:24 PM UTC
Robert,

Is that the new Revell kit, or the old AMT one?

Looking good so far. I like the color!

-YL
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 01:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is that the new Revell kit, or the old AMT one?
-YL

Looking at the engine, I'll have to say Revell. I have yet to see a water pump on an AMT model that actually looks like a water pump. And those headers and intake manifold are way too crisp to be AMT.

Now, Rob....

...more pix!

Cuhail
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking at the engine, I'll have to say Revell. I have yet to see a water pump on an AMT model that actually looks like a water pump. And those headers and intake manifold are way too crisp to be AMT.

Now, now...that's assuming it's the engine from the kit!

With Robert, you never know. He could have easily pilfered that mill from a donor kit.

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 04:17 PM UTC
Murph is wright on this one it's the new Revell kit and it's a really great kit with only a few minor flaws, well just so i don't disappoint any body i will be adding plug wires, fuel lines and a few other details to the engine. i have already sprayed the chassis and started work on the suspension, pictures to come thurdsay.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC

High time for an update the interior is finished as is most of the chassis i forgot to install the shock absorbers i will try to fit them in but it won't be easy with the rear tires glued on the engine, interior and body paint all match, the engine pic is a little blurry but you get the idea, today i buff the body out install the engine and work on all those loose ends i will try for another update tonight.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 04:40 AM UTC
Very Nice! Your interior is beautiful
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 05:58 AM UTC

I am SO giving up AMT models. It's an old love affair, but, I just can't get over the crispness of Revell/Monogram molds.
Rob, it looks awesome. The engine, the interior, the chassis. Everything. Awesome, inspiring build.

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:29 AM UTC
Thanks guys, just so everybody understands that i to ran into my first major paint problem after laying down the last few coats of paint i had alot of texture i figured i could live with that and it's simple enough to sand it out but i also didn't get good coverage on some of the seems and edges so i broke out the airbrush and fixed it problem solved wright not! as i just started on my second stage of buffing i cut through the paint on a few of the edges i missed with the airbrush no big deal that to needs to be fixed and the really bad part i just cut through one of the front round edges on the hood this is a big problem and not easy to fix. I will need to figure out a quick way to fix the hood so i can finish this model because i am pleased with the rest of the build.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 07:22 AM UTC
Flat Black's always a good fix
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:38 AM UTC
Yes, flat black or primer. A primered hood would definitely signal "car under construction".

Or you could go hoodless. Just a thought.

BTW, the engine and interior look fantastic. I think I'll be picking up one of those kits when I get the chance.

-YL

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 01:23 PM UTC
Thanks guys i may yet give the flat balack a try but wright after my last post i decanted some of the orange paint i used on the body and resparyed the bad spots with my airbrush it looks decent but i will have to wait till Sunday to lightly buff it out i hope it's dry enough.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:22 AM UTC
Great piece of work Robert. Even with a speed build like this, you've made high quality work. Very impressive.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:16 AM UTC

Here we go guys i fixed most of the problems with the paint but there are still several flaws i will have to live with as there is no time left to correct them, the body and bumpers are not glued as well as the chassis just wanted to give you an idea how it will look, i think i will make the deadline but i will have to work on it most of the night and there goes my plan on 3 hours a night. I will take several good pics when i am finished.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 08:41 PM UTC

Looks mighty fine, and more complete than mine is at the moment!

-YL
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:54 AM UTC
Thanks Yoni as you can see i didn't make the deadline either for several reasons one reasons is expalined in the original post.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:14 AM UTC

A few pics of the Nova a day late but i am happy with the way it turned out, i was going for that the high performance street machine look nothing to crazy just a nice clean hot rod/muscle car. I only made a few mods to the kit i replaced the steering wheel with one from a 1966 GTO the wheels are from Cragar and the tires are Firestone and Mickey Thomson every thing else is from the kit except for my wiring.
redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:17 AM UTC
I think it looks great. Had one of those when i was younger. Mine was primer black. Was a big block car that had been changed to a small block. still had big block springs on it it, which made the front end a little bit higher. If you had a smaller tire in front to give it a slight rake it would have been even better. The front wheel fills up yhe whole wheelwell. Love seeing those old cars, good work. Maybe another build like this will come along again. Then i might build my old 69 GTO Judge.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:35 PM UTC
Thanks Any glad you like and it's a really good kit. Keep on the look out for another build very soon.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:07 PM UTC

Wow. The Nova turned out really well, Robert. And you even had time for a little engine wiring, too.

Very clean, very neat, very sharp and very badass!

-YL
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
Looks GREAT
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 02:11 PM UTC
Thanks Mike thanks Yoni i am very surprised it came out this good you really should get this kit it has lots of nice parts like separte door handles and wiper arms a very nice decal sheet with all the Nova emblems if you prefer that, some of the best headers i have seen in a while and great detail all around.
 _GOTOTOP