For customized car kits and projects.
1949 Ford Coupe
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC

Here are a few pics of my new build something i started a few days ago since the rat rod is almost done, the first 2 pics are of the stock body side and front view and the third and fourth pics are for comparison. The third and fourth pics show the chopped top and the body which i sectioned along the body belt line and over the front wheel well, i also installed front and rear roll pans. I still have a few body mods to do yet like frenching the headlights and maybe a pair of rear fender skirts which came with the kit. This will be a full custom nothing will remain stock, now what do i do for the engine flathead, cady engine or maybe a Hemi if i have one. Al comments welcome.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 03:34 PM UTC
I hope to have my rat rod finished soon Robert. Work has been crazy this week and I haven't had much free time.

Your 49 looks great. I LOVE the mods you've done to the body.
It's your build but since you said it would be full custom I'd like to see you go with a slick metallic color. Something dark......wine or blue or something. This car has ZZtop written all over it. As for the engine, what about keeping it in the ford family? A tricked out 302 BOSS or a big fat 428 Cobra jet? Just some ideas, but with the sweet body mods you've already done I think this one could be really slick and classy.
Just my 2 cents.

Hermon
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
Thanks Hermon, yes it will be a full custom no weathering on this one super clean street/show rod with lots of custom scratch built parts. I am going to have to search my stash to see what i have for my engine choices, for some reason i enjoy the search for parts and when i find what i am looking for it always sets off in the right direction. Color that is something else i will have to think about.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:02 PM UTC
Hi Robert.
I have to agree with dad about this 49 Ford. With the lowered top and the moldings shaved off it kind of reminds me of the ZZ top car "Cadzilla" which is one of the coolest cars ever to hit the road IMO. I think this one would be super bad painted with that chameleon paint that changes colors. I want to do something like that someday but the paint is really expensive.

Hunter
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 02:00 PM UTC
Thanks Hunter, yes Cadzilla is a very cool car, still not shore what i will do about the paint but i am in no rush as i still have lots of body work to do, as for the engine i found another Boss 429 in my stash just like the one i used on my 32 Hot Rod now i have to make the mods to make it fit.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The third and fourth pics show the chopped top and the body which i sectioned along the body belt line and over the front wheel well,

Robert, I have a really DUMB question. I know about chopped tops but what does it mean when you section a car? Is it the same as removing the moldings?

Hermon
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 03:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, I have a really DUMB question. I know about chopped tops but what does it mean when you section a car? Is it the same as removing the moldings?

Hermon

Sectioning is the same as chopping, except you remove a part of the body and shorten the height...or length...or width. One can also add to the body as well....Channeling is dropping the body down into the frame...interior too. Without dropping the interior on a car that's had a 6" top chop and a 6" channel...you'd almost have to lay down to drive!
Oh, for a visual, look his pic 1 above and then pic 3...you'll note the overall height of his rear fender{rest of the car too} is thinner, top to bottom, since he removed material.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 05:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert, I have a really DUMB question....
Hermon

That was hardly a dumb question. I didn't know the differences until about a year ago....because I never asked that very question. Keep asking questions. Never let your ego suppress your need to cure ignorance. We're all ignorant until we listen and learn. So, never hesitate to ask any question you want an answer to.

Cuhail

[EDIT] Rob, totally clean! I love the new lines ya gave it. Sweet. I know I normally dig the uglies, I like the classy chassis' too.

C
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 06:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sectioning is the same as chopping, except you remove a part of the body and shorten the height...or length...or width.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but...when talking about kustoms, sectioning generally refers to removing a horizontal section from the car body, exactly as Robert has done on his '49.

"Sectioning" of the length is usually referred to as shortening, while "sectioning" of the width is commonly called narrowing. This terminology is used when referring to work on both bodies and frames, whereas sectioning usually just refers to the aforementioned body modification.

HTH.

-YL

BTW, Robert - the Ford looks mighty tasty!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 01, 2009 - 02:15 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, Yoni and Murph, the guys got it right i cut a 1/4 inch section out of the entire body along the moulding line and above the wheel well this give the body a low and flat look and i took about the same out of the roof. when you get some time you should give this a try it's lots of fun, practice on a junk box model remember it's only plastic if you mess up no big deal.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Got a couple of Stock and Custom Resin Y-Blocks in a box somewhere (and a couple Nailheads), might work in it! The Ford 302 from the Revell 32 Coupe would work nicely also (have a few of them, too). Great Work by the way!!
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 22, 2009 - 08:34 AM UTC
Thanks R.L., i am still not shore what engine i will use first i will have to cut down the engine compartment to match the section job on the body to see what engine fits, it's very possible that the Boss 429 may be to big.
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Nice build so far!

I got the wery same car on my shelf waiting for me to do the same modifications you have done, I also thought about lengtheing the front of the car (just a few mm?) and dropping the suspentions as low as it gets.

The problem for me is I have lost my building energy... I just need to wake up and smell the glue! Plus I have a few other projects waiting for my attention.

I can't wait to see your progress with this model!
 _GOTOTOP