How to chop a top?
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi!

I am in the process of building a 1949 Ford Coupe. I want to chop the top (cut the roof) and lowering it a few mm. But what is the best way to chop a curved roof to make the curve of the roof right?

Should I section the roof like a jigsaw puzzle or should I just cut it an apply generous amounts of putty?
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 06:57 AM UTC
You can cut the roof of the car or truck or whatever.
Then you must see where the front and the back of the roof need to fit.
Cut the roof in 4 parts and then fill the gap with evergreen plastic parts, a little putty and a lot of sanding.

Erikssson.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 03:28 PM UTC
I agree with Erick that's how i chopped the top on my 49 Ford, i use masking tape and i apply it to the roof in exactly same place on all the matching corners and use the tape as a guide when cutting, you should measure the tape you use so the thickness of all the cuts match so the chop will be nice and square all around. After you have chopped it you can quarter the roof one again take your time and measure for the next cuts.
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:18 PM UTC
The top is now chopped. The height of the top is now quite right, I used a calliper to mesure how much to remove (a lot!). to get the shape of the top right, I cut the top i quarters with a bit of jigsaw puzzle bits to align the pieces. Waiting now for the glue to harden, and then it's putty time.
 _GOTOTOP