For customized car kits and projects.
Custom Vans anyone?
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 08:20 AM UTC
Here's a good one! Does anyone know where I might be able to find some of the 1970's era 1/25 scale Custom van kits such as AMT's Ford Vantom, A-Team Chevy (or similar), MPC's Custom Dodge or the Revell California Dreamin Chevy Van? Preferably at reasonable prices? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:16 AM UTC
Why don't you try E-Bay?
Might find some.

Erikssson.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 09:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Erik, much appreciated. Problem is that I've had a few bad experiences on Evilbay and don't want to repeat them. I was hoping that maybe someone had these kits in the loft or basement and no further interest in them. oh well, back to the drawing board!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 - 10:58 PM UTC
Model roundup might have some.
http://www.modelroundup.com/
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC
I know several of the old MPC, AMT and Revell-Monogram car and van kits were reissued within the past 4 years. I picked up a Ford van that was one of the reboxes of a metallic blue van I had built as a kit. It came with removable top to view the customized interior that included a fridge, TV, bed, etc.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 11:11 PM UTC
Thank you very much for all the info Gents! Wow, didn't know that some have been re-issued. I'll be sure to check into it. I've always liked the Custom Vans and have some really nice build projects planned with all the "bells and whistles" on them (or in them!).
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Auto Modeler: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 01:18 AM UTC
AMT released the old A-Team van around 2003 or so. About the time the Dukes of Hazzard General Lee, Beverly Hill Billies truck, Hogan's Heroes Jeep and Daisy Dukes' Jeep were reissued.

Here is an eBay listing for the A-Team van, just so you know what to look for packaging-wise so you're not paying collector's prices for the original issues. A-Team Van

This was the Revell van I picked up a couple years ago. It is a reissue of the various similar vans Revell put out. Basically the same kit as the Hardy Boys, Charlie's Angels, and several other custom van kits of various colors.

Revell Custom Van
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 24, 2009 - 10:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Sabot! As much as I hated to, I signed up for Ebay and bid on the A-Team Van (talk about desperation!). Also checked-out Model Roundup, no dice. Please take the link off for that Chevy Van of yours, I'm drooling all over the keyboard!!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2009 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hey, rattling your cage here.....done anything lately?
Got the deal wheels van half done, the 2010 ragtop challenger is nearly (re)done, started a sci-fi piece, and got totally stuck on the paint job for the rivi...so I started a fiat racer and it's almost done.....could ya at least toss us some wisdom on the decal making thing...please!!!
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 08:29 AM UTC
Howdy Bob! Been really busy with work lately (the "Suits" want things re-arranged on a regular basis, real pain in the Butt!). Building a 56 Nomad delivery too right now and have stalled-out on a few things. Doing a build-up right now to start crankin-out some new resin items in a few months! Should prove interesting.
Now for the Decal thingy! Got to Bare Metal Foil's website and look for their brand of decal paper. There are two types, one for Laser Printers and one for Ink Jet. Choose your printer type. There are also two types of Decal paper, one that is all white and one all clear. They also have a spray Fixative which you'll need once the decals are run through the printer. You'll also need a printing accessories program, I use "Printmaster Gold" which is available from the Broderbund website for $19.95 or from your local WalMart or Best Buy. To shorten this alittle, If you have access to a Laser Printer, you'll only need clear decal paper. For an Ink Jet you'll need white for a better variety of decals (or decals that will have the color white or Pastel colors in them). The rest is easy. Make up your artwork using the program. Once finished, print them off on the decal paper. Let dry for an hour. Spray them with a good coating of Decal fixative and let dry at least 24 hours. Apply them like any other decal and you can use setting solutions like Micro-Sol or -Set. Any problems? Just drop me an email!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 02:26 PM UTC
Yeah, our factory had the majority of the start of this year on 32hrs, 3 months ago we hit one week of 40hrs and then OT...lots of it, so much so I've been passing it up cause I'm burnt out. No more rivets!...
Speaking of which I've hit those lovely stalled segments on builds myself...that's why I've started other things to keep it going...usually something hits me along the way for a fix for one of the stalled builds.
Thanks for the input on the decal making...all I have is paint shop pro 6{I think} and it reads like tax deduction paperwork!...maybe I can get H&R block to do up my decals too next year?!
I'll go to wallyworld and see what they got this friday.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 02:50 PM UTC
Well, just got it used but in good shape, with all material for $6.00 plus $3 S/H...amazon of all places! At least it's compatible with vista{why did I leave XP again?!}.

The problem I've always had was "sizing" to the needed size without distortion{using MS paint} or making or importing anything for the pic....tossed alot of paper trying to make scale copies of the old Sinclair, Gulf or CB&Q heralds for my truck trailers...if it did come out in the right size it was distorted....I hope this fixes all that!
Hey, what setting are you printing out at, on your printer....regular, or picture grade quality?
If this works I'll post a log onsite about what and how I did...so everyone can overcome this problem.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009 - 11:13 PM UTC
Yepper, Windows Vista, what a nightmare!!!! Fortunately with Printmaster Gold, it works with this "amazing" version of Windows. For printing I'll click on "Web quality" printing, much more definition in the final print. For resizing, I've seen many folks that will stretch the Pic both horizontally then vertically. I'll normally click a corner of the pic and enlarge all sides at once. Works better. Hope this helps you out Brother, if not then give me a Holler!
 _GOTOTOP