For customized car kits and projects.
Chopped 1949 Ford coupe
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 94 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 07:17 AM UTC
I enjoyed the thead from Robert Vaglio so much I had to try one myself! Thanks Robert, I needed some inspiration to see what I should to to with car.

Here is some pictures of my first attempt of a roof chopped car. Please feel free to comment. More pictures will follow when ready!

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 12:49 PM UTC
Great work on your Ford that chopped top looks awsome and i would say better than mine, what did you do to the rear of the car it looks much flatter almost like it was sectioned, once again great work.
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work on your Ford that chopped top looks awsome and i would say better than mine, what did you do to the rear of the car it looks much flatter almost like it was sectioned, once again great work.

What I did to the rear of the car? First i removed 7mm in height (sectioned), removed 0 mm of the front of the car. I like the wedge look in cars. Then I cut lose the bootlid in the middle of the curve, and then I angled the lower part to match the "fins" that was made from putty.

The top is also chopped more in the rear than in the front. (6mm rear, 2mm front) This also to make the car more "wedged".

The interior is going to be more or less out of the box, had to section this to fit.

I think I'm going to use the caddy enging supplied with the kit.

There is going to be some more small (some bigger) tweaks before this kit is roadworthy, not all of those tweaks is ready to come out from my head yet. There is still some ideas that needs some cooking time inside my chaotic brain!

Biggest problem is what to do with the rear lights? Don't want to cut the fins. One of the ideas still cooking is making the rearlights like a strip following the lower edge of the bootlid. See picture. Please help my brain with the rear light problem!

KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 09:50 PM UTC
Sharp looking allright! Nice work. Looking forward to your next post!
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 04:43 AM UTC
why not "french" them into the fins?

http://www.sbkustoms.com/showroom/1949ford.htm

http://www.customstylingstudio.com/html/body.html
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, May 01, 2009 - 11:08 PM UTC
Very interesting project Kjell. Looks great so far.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 12:21 PM UTC
Beautiful work on the Ford. It's going to be one nice custom when completed. The strip type tail lights are an excellent idea. Shaped red plastic sprue (clear type that comes with tail lights) would work or if you can find an old type of toothbrush that was made with the old clear red plastic. Then cut, shape and polish the pieces. The new lights can be cemented with epoxy glue.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 03, 2009 - 02:52 PM UTC
Why not do modern caddy like tailights? You know, where the "verticle section" of the fin is a taillight.....just a thought.
Nice build so far, can't wait to see how she finishes up.
PunyViking
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Akershus, Norway
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why not do modern caddy like tailights? You know, where the "verticle section" of the fin is a taillight.....just a thought.
Nice build so far, can't wait to see how she finishes up.

Can you please post a picture or a link to a picture, not sure I understand? (I'm a bit slow sometimes )
Uruk-Hai
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, May 04, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
I like the profile you have achieved from the chopping. Its kind of mean looking.

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP