For customized car kits and projects.
How's this for a campaign idea?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, June 05, 2009 - 01:53 PM UTC
Although I have a few irons{kits to be finished} in the ol fire, I'm hot for building an idea from the "scale auto dec '05" magazine...page 66. "Re-Charging: variations on a theme"...I like the Charger el camino drawing he did! I have a '68 el camino kit and a '69 dodge charger 6 pack kit...let's make a new car!
What about a campaign for custom cars..."The one they never made"?
Could be an early '70's nova ragtop or station wagon, late '60's cougar convertible{'67/'68} or wagon, or anything that should have been made that wasn't.
It'll be a challenge and probably 6mo to a year for completion...who's crazy enough to be interested?{aside from me}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hmmm, 26 lookers so far but no comments?
Ok, I'll get the ball rolling then I guess...I'll start cuttin the dodge to show it's not that hard.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 07, 2009 - 04:57 PM UTC
That's what's holding me back, Bob.....I'm pretty sure this would be waaay over my head. Now, the others on here......probably a piece o' cake
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 88 posts
Auto Modeler: 58 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hot diggity dog, now that's an idea! Haven't started this 66 Old Goat project yet. The dang thing might just look good as an El Goato or a Sedan Delivery.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hot diggity dog, now that's an idea! Haven't started this 66 Old Goat project yet. The dang thing might just look good as an El Goato or a Sedan Delivery.

...there ya go!!! Jump in.......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's what's holding me back, Bob.....I'm pretty sure this would be waaay over my head.

I sorta doubt that, but I'll try and take a good amount of pics to show the progress.
Honestly, when doing this sort of thing to any given model...the toughest part is totally envisioning the way you want it...then just figure out how to get there and whith what{kit or kits}.
My problem with this idea of mine is that I should really build this off of a wagon body and chassis since the real el camino ran a longer wheel base than the car version. Add to that the taillights, I believe, were different due to the tailgate needing to drop down and still have taillights visible.
My view for this kit is that it's any early hybrid with the recent shorty box{ read rather usless for real hauling} but mine will have car type taillights because that's the way I want it to look. To do it correctly I'd need an R&R resin station wagon{possible future build}, but I'll try this the easier way and see how she looks.......
Oh, one more thing...take the easy route when possible! Take a coupe and make it a ragtop as a 1st build or a sedan delivery and make it a truck. Use any "old" stepside box and make the car front into a cab to go with the box...........

I'll go and take some pics in a minute, and I'll upload them tomorrow-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
Why put off tomorrow....
-Here's the rear view with the bed opened up-

-Here's the side shot...possible wagon build?

-Here's a top/side view of the opening...seems large enough but it'll only be roughly 51/2 to 6 feet long inside.

-Here's the chopped interior tub...the hole over the axle is because I'll need the depth for a low enough bed and there was a raised section there...was!

-Here's with two pieces temporarily set on for the idea of the bed floor...needs to go down alittle more up front.

Well, that's where I stand so far on this adventure, but it's good so far. I'll probably have to pie wedge the back of the roof piece to fit wider over the body, but not too wider.

'
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 09, 2009 - 04:40 PM UTC
Bob, thanks for the beginning of a SBS there...and showing me that maybe, just maybe, this is possible! Hmmmm....you got my old brain turning over now.....
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 03:34 AM UTC
Alrighty then! Count me in on this one (can't resist). Introducing a 66 Goatamino;

Here's the URL: http://www.mastersnminiatures.com/goatamino.html

Got an older Revell 66 Chevelle Wagon on the way that I picked up on emodelcars. It's gonna make for a nice Sedan Delivery Custom. Man, talk about too many Pots on the Stove! Looks like you're off to a great start there Bob!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob, thanks for the beginning of a SBS there...and showing me that maybe, just maybe, this is possible! Hmmmm....you got my old brain turning over now.....

Go with it!.......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Alrighty then! Count me in on this one (can't resist). Introducing a 66 Goatamino;

Here's the URL: http://www.mastersnminiatures.com/goatamino.html

Got an older Revell 66 Chevelle Wagon on the way that I picked up on emodelcars. It's gonna make for a nice Sedan Delivery Custom. Man, talk about too many Pots on the Stove! Looks like you're off to a great start there Bob!!!

Wow, I'm honored!{got my name mentioned!}
She looks good! I'm torn whether to square the side windows like yours, leave them curved to a lessor degree than stock or try it as is.
I can easily relate to "too many irons in the fire", but thats just how I am.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:33 PM UTC
Alright folks, Ron and I are trying it out...and James is kickin' the tires on the idea....anyone else care to try one for laughs?!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 - 02:44 PM UTC
Oh, alittle side note here, if you look at ron's site you'll note the use of a dremel tool for piece removal...a cut off wheel can be used or a small ball grinder if you prefer. I've used a ball end grinder for hole making and rough cut outs...it's not the best means to make straight cuts with though...use a cut off wheel in that instance.
I used a combo of scoring deep enough with the back of a #11 blade that I could snap sections off and razor saw in other places.
Try different techniques to see what works or feels best for you and remember sometimes, given the angle or curvature, you may have to employ multiple techniques. Always try and cut within the line of the piece to be removed{permanently} because you can sand or file the cut on the saved piece smooth...you can easily remove material...it's hard to have to add it back!
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 - 10:48 AM UTC
The cutoff wheels are really good but unfortunately can be alittle tricky to use and tend to burn plastic (which happened!). Good idea with the X-Acto knife Bob, I use it exclusively for cutting out doors, hoods and trunk lids. Makes for cleaner cuts and less headaches! Hmmm, starting to look like we're on our own with this challenge, eh Bob?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
I believe your right ron, but if we show the folks that it's not that hard and/or how to do it, they'll join in I'd bet. The 1st time is always intimidating...
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 - 12:47 PM UTC
Very true, as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words! Maybe I'll devote the bulk of my website to Car Modelling "How-To's"? Might prove helpful to others and give folks some motivation to get braver! Remember folks, things are never as hard as they seem and yes Bob, let's show em how. In the words of the great Philosopher, Larry the Cable Guy, "Git er done!!!!"
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
I haven't forgotten about this build, just gotten stumped as to how to do the roof. I have a '66 el camino and a '68 el camino kit...I really don't want to chop the '68...the '66 is still readily available, the '68 isn't. Add to that the roof lines just don't look quite right from those kits.
May have to scratch the roof altogether for the look I'm after....might try some paper templates later tonight after the kids go to bed....I'll report back........
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 22, 2009 - 08:13 AM UTC
Got stuck on mine also! Was pondering the idea of a Custom Cap for the rear bed or turning it into a wild-looking Delivery. Oh well, not a "rushed " project anyways. In the meantime I finally won a couple cool Van Kits off EvilBay. FINALLY! Here come some cool custom Van conversions!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Got stuck on mine also! Was pondering the idea of a Custom Cap for the rear bed or turning it into a wild-looking Delivery. Oh well, not a "rushed " project anyways. In the meantime I finally won a couple cool Van Kits off EvilBay. FINALLY! Here come some cool custom Van conversions!!!

I built a few of those as a kid...what I'd really love to find is a chevy or a ford in the mid to late 60's vintage! None found so far.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 09:29 AM UTC
Been doing research on the vintage 60's Econolines and 60's Chevy's. No kits exhist!!! So, so far I've got about 100 pics collected of the real things, just need to find some drawings that I can scale to 1/25th and bingo!! It'll be time to start cuttin and bendin some sheet plastic and slingin some putty! Of course the "bought off Evilbay Van count is up to 2 Ford's and 4 Chevy's. Gonna be busy in the following months!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Been doing research on the vintage 60's Econolines and 60's Chevy's. No kits exhist!!! So, so far I've got about 100 pics collected of the real things, just need to find some drawings that I can scale to 1/25th and bingo!! It'll be time to start cuttin and bendin some sheet plastic and slingin some putty! Of course the "bought off Evilbay Van count is up to 2 Ford's and 4 Chevy's. Gonna be busy in the following months!

Yeah, I know...it's like trying to find a '73 - '75 Grand am in 1/25.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 03:33 AM UTC
Ok, after a fair amount of soul searching and alot of dry paper fitting I have come to the conclusion that using the '66 el camino top was the better choice. To make a new top from scratch wasn't so much the problem as was making new glass for it and seeing as I'm trying to get you folks "easily" into this, I'll take the easier route.
This is a simple kitbash, meaning you take one kit as a base for what you want and use another for the other needed things, like the top and glass from the '66 el camino kit.

Above you'll see I roughly removed the dodge top and have the '66 el camino top in the background...this new top will be sanded and fitted to the charger body and I'll have the ease of using that kits glass instead fo trying to cut out some flat clear sheet for the windows and windshield.

Here you see the '66 el camino top on the charger body....side view shows it fits pretty well with the lone exception of the vent cowl area...I should be able to sand that top enough to get to use the body's vents. I still plan on scratching the bed.
RLHoward
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
Lookin goooood Bob, keep on trucking Brother! Have to squeeze in alittle spare time here soon and get back to the Goatamino!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 11:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lookin goooood Bob, keep on trucking Brother! Have to squeeze in alittle spare time here soon and get back to the Goatamino!

I'll tinker with it tonight and see what happens...got tomorrow off too but a bunch of things to do as well.
How's "El Chargo" sound for the name......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2009 - 04:10 PM UTC
Well, I actually got time to tinker with the roof today...and we have a roof! I had to center cut a 1/8" band out of the top to make the width right. Also, the roof fits great on the door, but comes up short on the wiper cowl but I'll fill and smooth it out fine when she's totally dry. Next step, aside from filling and blending the wiper cowl will be to make two wings for each side of the back to mimic the origonal charger roof...then we move on to the bed building.
Here's how she looks so far-

Hey, if anyone is trying this on a charger too, let us know what your using for a roof and how ya did it....options are a wonderful thing for us watching!
Oh, I bet your saying, "bob, how ya gonna fit the windshield and back window in now that ya scruntched the width....EASY...the '66 el camino windshield is it's own piece like the back window is...and the side vent windows...all separate pieces. I simply have to sand down the windshield and back window to fit...an 1/16" from each side will do. The vent windows will fit fine since I didn't modify the those windows. Easy, huh? In a kit where the whole window assy is one piece you'd have to cut each window out and shorten the front and back, but this isn't needed here{ya...lucky me!}
To be continued.......
 _GOTOTOP