For customized car kits and projects.
Jimmy Flintstone '71 boattail riviera-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 04:31 PM UTC
Got the body in primer...now, what's a good paint job for this custom bodied boattail? Suggestions?
I have color change paint from AlcladII and house of color...or maybe a '70s candy 2-3 tone paint job....the paint has been what's been keeping me from building this kit...I could use some ideas so I can build her....
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 05:56 PM UTC
Bob,
How about something along this...

More Here

Have any pics?

Joe
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hey joe. That's what I was looking for!
I just tossed another coat of primer on her before I leave for work...I'll take some pics later today...oh, the rims I have are roughly 24" in scale but I want mine siting much lower so I carved out the wheelwells.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 03:25 PM UTC
Alright, this car is really nothing more than a chunk of resin...no frame, interior, bumbers or nothing...but body. The kit came with different rims and tires but I wanted these big wheels{24" scale size} off of a parts '32 Boyd roadster I had.
I tossed a sanding drum in the dremel, went outside and sanded the inner fenderwells away till I could drop a wheel in deep...matched all 4 that way. I want this puppy down low as I can get without going thru and fender top...I'm there.

...I know that trunk tip needs to be tweeked still. The kit had 3 lil air bubbles in it and one was there{jim is slippin alittle!}.

Here's the stance I like with these wheels...just like in the concept drawings - a low car and full wheel wells! Oh, I did round out the outside wheel wells alittle bigger and to make them all the same.

The car kit is pretty darn close to the real thing cept it's missing the rear fender louvers and the bumpers are flush along with the headlights.
I have the kit pe grill slats but I'm leaning towards a micro mesh grill possibly.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2009 - 03:43 PM UTC
It's going to be one sick ride once you start laying down the paint. The stance look awesome and the mesh grill sounds like a great idea. Looking at the body, I can see tribal graphics and a sexy lady on the hood like on those lowriders. So what color or colors are on your mind.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 03:00 AM UTC
I love the look of the old boattail. The rims and stance looks awesome.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's going to be one sick ride once you start laying down the paint. The stance look awesome and the mesh grill sounds like a great idea. Looking at the body, I can see tribal graphics and a sexy lady on the hood like on those lowriders. So what color or colors are on your mind.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

I don't know yet...just got back from airbrushtricks.com...that fire calls to me still. I've been googling candy color painting trying to see what to lay down 1st, then so on...then try and figure out what design I want...I'll have to stop by the paint shop today{real auto} and see what lil bottles they have of candy...
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:32 AM UTC

The wheels and stance are perfect. Frankly, you could brush paint that sucker with mud and it would still look cool!

-YL
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Auto Modeler: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 05:37 AM UTC
I think the 71-72 Riv was one of the nicest cars on the street. I'd love one today. That rear window also really did a nice job with a nice sound system too. Comfort, beauty and fast. What a car.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 01:07 PM UTC
Nice work so far Bob, that year Riv is also my favorite my uncle bought one new in 1971 i believe it was gold with a white interior and a 455 under the hood very nice car, i like the rims to.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 07:34 PM UTC
Was playing with paint today and got an interesting happening....sprayed a base coat of copper color, then dabbed flat black here and there for a mottled look, then hit it with candy red and got this effect on the door...note the rear fender is not done up the same, just copper and candy.

I'm going to try different things and see what I get...then post.....

I downloaded a pic of the artool "true fire" nano templates today and am in the process of cutting out the same thing in plastic sheet for the day when I get brave enough to try the real fire effect on a model of any kind...today wasn't the day...either!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 07:42 PM UTC
Here...maybe someone else will get brave enough to try it on a model and report back -
...check it out, this guy is good! In this vid he's using nothing more than a drafting "french curve"
http://www.instructables.com/id/True-Fire---The-Layout-Of-Flames-From-Start-To-Scr/
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Got a full coat of light pearl green on her, but am stuck about doing the soft highlight color for the graphics....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC
This puppy has to get some paint...so I got a base coat of pearl green on the body and then did the sides up with a nice pearl purple, but it needs something else...thinking a pearl gold or hmmmm - pearl orange between the two colors....thoughts?!

..just a side note, the windows will all be solid black.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Oh, I know some of the edges look alittle ragged but I haven't wet sanded them yet to knock them down.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 11:15 PM UTC
That looks pretty sweet bob. I think a line to seperate the two colors would be great. Both orange and gold would work with the green and purple, but would prefer the gold myself.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That looks pretty sweet bob. I think a line to seperate the two colors would be great. Both orange and gold would work with the green and purple, but would prefer the gold myself.

Long time no see and Thank you sir...I'm thinking along the same lines, something not too wide but still not too slim a dividing line. Also, it's hard to find a good gold pearl - I'm on a pearl kick with this one!
 _GOTOTOP