Scale motorcycle modeling topics.
1949 Triumph Tiger
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2009 - 11:05 PM UTC
This is the Revell 1/8 scale model of the Triumph T100. For a Revell kit the build didn't go too badly - my old eyes and shaky hands had a few problems though with small attachment points etc! All the kit chrome was removed apart from the wheels and replaced with various shades of alloy and steel. Parts that should be chrome were painted with "Brush'n'Leaf" - an American product that I found in an art shop years ago.

There are a lot of accuracy issues with the kit, these I'll list after the photos. Basically I think they used a restored 'bike as the basis for the kit and it's a 'bitsa' - bitsa this bike, bitsa that bike..............

Kit errors and observations:

This must be a 1949 model, as it has the headlamp nacelle and single seat - 1950 had a twinseat for the first time - but:
1) The front forks should be black, not chromed as in the kit. The fork legs are shrouded except for the sliding portion. This should only be visible when the suspension is extended, just above the thicker ring visible on the kit parts
2) The chromed tank in the kit should not have the cast badge. It should be a decal on smoth metal. The tank in the kit is a probably 1952-53 model year
3) The exhausts should be kinked upwards slightly just behind the gearbox and primary chaincase to allow more clearance for the silencers
4) The engine should be single carb - the splayed head is much later. The GP model with twin carbs had straight inlets
5) There is no throttle control in the kit, not even moulded onto the handlebars. I just glued the throttle cable in place
6) The oil tank should be black. It's a chromed part in the kit. Mine is painted silver because I didn't find that out until after it was in the frame!
7) The mudguards should be in the same colour as the tank - again I found out too late
8)There should be a further chrome ring and horizontal flash behind the headlamp - just painted on my model
9) The footrest brackets and brake pedal should be black
10) The ampere dial is missing from the headlamp nacelle - there is a ring for it but no decal - could be painted in
11) The gear lever mount is too high and it would require the rider to lift his foot from the 'peg to change gear. Could be corrected but the gearbox casing and the kit footrest mount are also slightly wrong and they cannot actually be fitted in the correct relationship.

If I could get my hands on another kit (quite hard to find!), then I'd :
1)sand the tank badges off smooth and try and find/make the decal
2) sort out the nacelle shape (or better still get rid of it and use a seperate headlamp and speedo (speedo is in the kit but not used).
3)A thin card shroud wrapped around the top part of the fork legs would give a more realistic prototype appearance.
4)Correct the gear level/ footrest and brake pedal positions
5) Modify the engine to a single carb and straight inlet manifold
6) Paint the various parts the right colours!

( rant) PLEASE - kit manufacturers can we have some more classic 'bike models!
A Norton featherbed-framed twin such as the Dominator/650ss would be great, as would the T120 Bonneville and BSA Gold Star single.
There are models of almost every boring Hondayamawakizaki ever build but the models that started the popular motorcycle movement worldwide are ignored!!! (rant over)
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 01:46 PM UTC
Don't know how I missed this thread, Dave, but I really like this build! It looks right on, even though there are the accuracy issues that you mentioned. Sweet ride!

Quoted Text

A Norton featherbed-framed twin such as the Dominator/650ss would be great, as would the T120 Bonneville and BSA Gold Star single.

Oh, what I would give to see any kit of a Beezer...
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2009 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know how I missed this thread, Dave, but I really like this build! It looks right on, even though there are the accuracy issues that you mentioned. Sweet ride!

Quoted Text

Oh, what I would give to see any kit of a Beezer...

The only plastic kit of any BSA that I know of is the old Airfix C15, All bare plastic, moulded in white the last one I saw many years ago. About 1/12 scale I think.

Thanks for you comment on the Tiger!
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 05:12 PM UTC
Dave, there is the Protar model of the Norton Commando proddy racer, if you can get your hands on it which is pretty good. If you were prepared to cannibalise two kits, you could blend the Commando engine with a Revell/Italaeri/Protar Manx Norton frame to produce something close to an Atlas, but it would have to be a cafe-racered one! All credit for the Triumph build - I remember this kit from when i was a kid, & that was along time ago!
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 06:29 PM UTC
Thanks Steve

The Protar models that really interest me - the Matchless, AJS and Commando don't seem to be among the re-releases from Revell/Italeri and the originals never turn up on Ebay. The Heller/Airfix Commandos are the same, and when they do appear the cost is enourmous.

What I'd really like is a Triumph Twin engine/gearbox in the same scale as the Manx - A Triton is the ultimate cafe-racer!
hooper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bermuda
KitMaker: 4 posts
Auto Modeler: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hello Dave, I've been trying to do the exact same thing, build a 1/9 scale triton. I have the norton manx kit, and I just found a tiumph twin at 1/9 scale in white metal. I'm going to try to remold the engine for the featherbed frame. Let me know if you are interested in another engine. Once I have made the molds, I can make you one. I still want to be the first person on earth who has a model triton! Cheers, Mike.
 _GOTOTOP