_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Pro-street Thunderbird
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 04:51 PM UTC
I have been futzing around with this for the last couple of weeks working back and forth between it and writing on review items. Finally put the wraps on it tonight..well almost. I need to add the headlight lenses and then she'll be 100%. I built one of these back in the early 90's and really enjoyed it then. Nothing changed with this build. Only thing I added to it was the plug wires/coil, some Dzus fasteners to the hood, fenders and trunk lid and some 1/20 scale harnesses. The 1/24 scale ones I had just didn't look too convincing to me hence the swap. I painted it in House of Kolor Black Pearl and added the skulls by hand using a stencil for initial shapes. I added highlites to them once the basic shapes were laid in. Overshot everything in Alclad II clear blue. Souced the decals from the spares box. Overall a very satisfying and fun build. Thanks for looking."Q"
;)

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 - 10:54 PM UTC
Very impressive build Matthew. The sculls are particularly impressive.
Thanks for sharing.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 01:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos Jesper, much appreciated.
"Q"
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2009 - 02:57 AM UTC
Well done Matthew, very interesting paint work i may have to give that a try.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 01:53 AM UTC
Thanks Robert. This was my first time using any type of stencil for a paint job. It worked out pretty easy. I got the idea about the clear blue from watching a TV show where the painter was doing this on Jack Osbornes (Ozzies son) truck and figured I would try it here to see how it worked. Still needs a little tweaking for the scale, but I was happy with it for a first attempt. I have a few more pro-street and pro-mod cars I plan on experimenting with the paint jobs on as they lend themselves easily to this. Thanks again for the kudos, much appreciated. "Q"
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 - 05:09 AM UTC
Seeing this model sure brings back fond memories! That kit was a groundbreaker back in the day, and still looks good today. I'm assuming you used the Bob Glidden or Frank Iaconio T-Bird kit, or was it a later re-issue? I can't tell for sure if the windows are tinted or not, which would be a giveaway.

Either way, it looks great. Super sweet finish on a super sweet build!

-YL
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 03, 2009 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos. The kit wasn't the Glidden issue. It does have tinted windows. Was really pleased with the way it went together. No headaches at all. Just cut the parts out, a little clean up and glue them together. Everything fit as it should. Thanks again for the kind words. "Q"
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Friday, September 04, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
Man, how'd I miss this post...coooool! I like it!
Love those skulls....that, for the most part, is the same process as doing the "real fire" or "True fire"...the skulls look great on there...nice job on the homemade mask. What did you use for the mask?
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 05, 2009 - 03:02 AM UTC
Thanks Bob, The mask was a thin plastic pre-cut one I borrowed from a buddy of mine. It had a bunch of Hawaiin tiki heads, bamboo, and then the skulls on it. I just masked off the surrounding areas I wasn't using and went to town. Had I actually owned this stencil, I would have cut it apart and really got busy with it. Going to see if I can find one for myself so I can do another build using it. Also want to experiment doing the flame/fire version. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP