For customized car kits and projects.
Blast from the past
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 12:56 PM UTC
I can recall building this as a youngster in 1969 a whole year after the kit first hit the streets. It was a nice surprise to see it reappear recently. I stripped all the chrome off and repainted those pieces in Alclad Pale Gold to better match the decals. It is part of a larger group project we are doing here locally to build several of the Tom Daniels, Ed Roth and other show cars that found their way into plastic. They will be on display for a few weeks. Thanks for looking. "Q"

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
I'd show some of the models I built when I was a kid Matthew, but, alas, at that age firecrackers and plastic models went together like peanut butter and jelly.

Looks really good. I mean really, really good for it's age. If the chrome parts are the only things you touched up then you were a better builder in 69' than I am now. No paintbrush marks, no silvering on the decals.........really nice.

Hermon
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 01:26 PM UTC
This isn't the exact one I built in '69. It met the same firecracker fate you mentioned. This is the re-release that came out in the last couple of years. I just completed it this afternoon. Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated. "Q"
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 02:15 PM UTC
This was always a kit that I wanted but never got
Great idea and execution with the gold over the stripped chrome. I haven't seen that done with this model yet

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 11:04 PM UTC
Beautiful build Matthew. I really like the gold color instead of the chrome. Very nice touch.
My dad build quite a lot of Tom Daniels and Ed Roth models back in the '60. I still have the majority of his builds at home. Great to see them re-released. Gotta have me some of them.
Thanks for sharing Matthew.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 03:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos all. One of the others that has recently be re-released was the Depth Charger. Being a SCUBA diver, I have to get this one. A couple of friends beat me to the punch when they grabbed the only two that were on the shelves at our LHS. Luckily they have ordered more so I will grab one once they come in. I'll also get some pics of our completed display to post. Should be interesting to see so many of these builds in one spot. Thanks again for the kind words all. Much appreciated. "Q"
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
Echoing what the others have said....great build Matt! You must have had a blast doing this one, nice change of pace from, well, just about everything....looks like a fun, relaxing build. Looking forward to seeing some group photos too
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC
Thanks James. I dropped off my build for the display yesterday and found out I am about 2 weeks too early.. Seems I got confused on my timeline. Might use the time to knock out another one. Possibly the Tiajuana Taxi. I'll post some pics once the rest of the display gets added to the case. Thanks for the kudos, much appreciated. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP