What happens when ya drop a Zinger?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 10:21 AM UTC
It looks cool! {yeah, no kit is safe from bashing in my hands!}
Made my own pipes to keep the theme since it's too low to use the kit pipes now. Cut out the rear wheel openings in the frame and as you can see there ain't much left so I added an I beam for frame strength. Cut out for the front wheels to fit in the body too....raised both axle points up for that low down look. Cut the wheelie bars shorter and added them. The paint will be another try of candy apple red...1st time wasn't a charm or I would have had this uploaded yesterday!

I gave you guys 2 framework pics to ease your own dropping tasks should anyone wish to try this.
Comments or questions are always welcome-
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Oh, the "axles" are sprue sections sanded a tad on the seams...hey, waste not want not! Forgot to menttion that I sanded the rear tires tread off for the "slicks" look.
Also, yes, the engine block was 1st painted chevy orange but I changed it to mopar 360 blue in a questionable attempt to pass the engine off as a 360cu.in. motor{mopar body and motor}...I shoulda bought the vette kit for the hemi motor{chevy body/ mopar motor...is nothing sacred?!...at least it'll go fast!!!}...I'll leave that up to you guys to do.

This is a blast to do now, since this was my 1st glue kit eons ago{33 years} when I started model building. I distinctly remember the body being molded in green back then along with the '57 gasser zinger I had...
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 06:36 PM UTC
Alright, that's lookin' BOSS !

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 07:13 AM UTC
I agree...when I opened the kit the other day I quickly regressed to my childhood{something my loving wife says is a daily event....very true!}. However, the "wiser" me{yeah- older} quickly hatched the plans for a dropped in the weeds van and viola...
I'm hoping others will follow this trend for some neat variations....
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Auto Modeler: 33 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 01:15 PM UTC
hi Bob,
Did you find that Zinger at a LHS? Got any idea of the scale of the Dodge van body?
thanks,
Jake
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC

Looking mighty cool, Bob. I need to get one or three of these!

Jake - IIRC, the Zinger bodies were 1:32 scale. Obviously, the engines and rolling stock are much larger.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi Bob,
Did you find that Zinger at a LHS? Got any idea of the scale of the Dodge van body?
thanks,
Jake

Yes I did sir...@ hobbytown usa and the scale is supposed to be 1/32 for the body and 1/20 for the engine and wheels - but that could really only be the back wheels....I mean really, look at the fronts.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking mighty cool, Bob. I need to get one or three of these! -YL

I know!...so far the Vette, Van and tractor/trailer are easily out but I've seen the '57 chevy on ebay too. I want them all this time around!
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
Hi Yoni,
Thanks I thought they were,but I couldn't read the box. Actually I found some on an internet store. Kind of expensive to make vehicles for an Iraq/middle east type diorama, but I'll give the remains to my grandson, at 5 his imagination is .... way beyond mine at that age.
Actually it's probably better than mine now......creeping sinility,don't ya know!
Jake

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the quick answer, and yes the "in the weeds" look is very cool. Maybe I'll find some other 1/32 bodies in the parts box and build one too, or let the little guy build it.
Jake
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:10 PM UTC
Here's some candy red paint on her now as well as 95% of the engine done....wondering if I have room to run plug wires off the mag?{pretty darn tight!!!}

That's tamiya clear orange over the chrome pieces for a golden look....
jakes357
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 - 04:19 PM UTC
That is soooo bad
Jake
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 05:39 AM UTC
Nearing the end here...got the window trim done and the turn signals and taillights done along with 3 coats of clear that was wet sanded each...a buffing will finish it. Then time to add the grill, chute, and rear wing. I'm planning on tinted windows for laughs.

KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
That is lookin' HOT!
how do you tint windows?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is lookin' HOT!
how do you tint windows?

I'll show ya...she's coming together quickly now...film at 11..(probably 10:30ish! )
...I figured Mother would've chimed in by now...hmmm....this whole thing was inspired by him.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 03:49 PM UTC
...9:30...I'm ahead of schedule! Here's what I'm doing with the "tinted windows" thing. The kit glass, so to speak, is nothing more than a black section of non transparent plastic...I wanted something different{yeah, it's a theme for this build, isn't it?} . I painted all the interior flat black since there's no real details, but I wanted the feel of a regular car so I went with this smoked clear sheet. I got this at hobby lobby and they had Red, Green, Clear and Grey{smoked} in .005 thin 5"x8" sheets for $2.49. I've seen yellow at the LHS{hobbytownusa} too, but in .010 thick. This is the same old school way of doing windows for the resin kits, unless your lucky enough to have vac formed glass.
Start out with the vehicle of choice, take a piece of paper and make an interior pattern for each window{s} with alittle excess for good measure. When it's the right size, take some white glue, I used what I had on hand which is the "microscale micro kristal klear". This stuff is great for small windows in planes and ships{says 1/4" or smaller..lean alittle smaller} and for holding in window glass and it's nearly invisible...so long as you don't slop alot of it on.
I'll direct your attention to the "headlights" on the van shown, they have a white color to them...it'll dry clear and that's the 2nd coat to simulate lenses for the headlights{works great on those car and truck chrome headlights to add alittle depth.
I hold the glass piece in place carefully with one hand and take a dab of the glue with the other hand and apply near an edge...it'll wick under. Keep tacking in the window till your happy, lay the body so the window is level and let it dry. Repete with the other windows. The back windows of the van are one piece - two for one deal. The van windshield has a center post, so you can do it two ways....either make two "halves", or, one "whole" with a crease in it...your call.
With resin kits, you can trim or sand the glass to just fit inside a given window and dab the white glue around it to seal it in.
The only glass left to do is the windshield now......

...oh, thoughts on the rear wing?...she's gotta be aerodynamic, right?!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:34 AM UTC
I'm calling her done...now I hope I've inspired you folks to try your own...let's see who takes one and runs with it.

One thing to note here...I turned the chute upsidedown to hide the lil frame tab in the back of the body...I think it looks better, but one could center the chute too.
I gave up on the idea of plug wires for lack of room on this van kit...an open chassis from one of the other kits would be doable though....
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
I'm still playing with the white balance on the ancient camera I have per the new photo booth...kinda yellowy - I know....so much for "auto white balance" on this one!{back to indoor I guess...or pony up for a new camera maybe...2.1mega pixal is old}
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:25 PM UTC
This is just flat out cool. Nice work.

The van body alone is full of potential. I can already see a stock-looking A-100 on a 4x4 truck chassis. Hmmmm.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 01:54 PM UTC
There ya go...the semi kit has 4 big wheels...........your turn dude, let's see one!
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:03 PM UTC
ROCK . AND . ROLL dude! This is bada>>

The rear spoiler looks fine. Is it silver?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 02:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ROCK . AND . ROLL dude! This is bada>>

The rear spoiler looks fine. Is it silver?

Yup, aluminum to be exact.
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:13 PM UTC
Bob Chawgo these zingers are really kool i just picked up the little red zinger today at a hobby shop in ottawa for 17.99 they have every single one in the line up it was so hard to decide but looking forward to building something my dad built back in the day. plus it has a 426 HEMI
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bob Chawgo these zingers are really kool i just picked up the little red zinger today at a hobby shop in ottawa for 17.99 they have every single one in the line up it was so hard to decide but looking forward to building something my dad built back in the day. plus it has a 426 HEMI

I like that one{heck...I like them all!}...fire it up!...let's see your build.
beans1989
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Auto Modeler: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
will do alos picked up the amt 66chevy nova prostreet from round 2 models very impressed on the clean almost no flash on the parts at all
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 09, 2010 - 03:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

... clean almost no flash on the parts at all

..they have they're moments, but we like the kits anyway.
 _GOTOTOP