_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
41 Willy's
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Auto Modeler: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
I have started the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willy's.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Cool model.
Engine looks great.
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 08:56 AM UTC
Nice start.
Is it a OOTB build?

Erikssson.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice start.
Is it a OOTB build?

Erikssson.

Thanks.

It will be mostly OOTB. I will add a few teaks to it.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
Here is the rolling chassis

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Very nice so far...love the motor!
I do hate how they always seem to mold the gas tanks in halves so ya get a seem right down the whole side...why not mold a tube for the main body and end caps for it I gotta ask?
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I do hate how they always seem to mold the gas tanks in halves so ya get a seem right down the whole side...why not mold a tube for the main body and end caps for it I gotta ask?

Good question. I will have to do that on the next one.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC
Here is the completed engine and interior tub finished

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good question. I will have to do that on the next one.

No no no...not you...the manufactures in the way they mold these things the way they do. Our only recourse {aside from leaving it} is to sand the pieces smooth which looses the chrome and repaint with alclad chrome or aluminum. If they made them the way I descibed it then it wouldn't be a problem. Chrome semi truck gas tanks and airhorns are other ones that flash has to be delt with or simply left alone. Some times they don't make it easy for us....

The willys is lookin good...I may have to get that kit since I love the motor!{probably a 392hemi - maybe a 354. 6 bolt valve cover = early hemi}.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 10:54 AM UTC
I have the painting started. I hope the finish will come out better this time. I am lousy with shiny paint still. :oops:

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 12:08 PM UTC
Looking great Dave !! Shiny paints scare me, but one of my club members is an auto finisher by trade and a great modeller, and he showed me how he gets a super gloss finish with acrylics. I haven't tried his method yet, but it's basically as follows:

First is a light "mist-coat" of the top coat colour, so you can still see the plastic through it. This is allowed to dry for 10-15 mins (depending on temp).
Next is 2 or 3 "flood coats" applied wet-on-wet, with just a minute or two between coats. The number of flood coats required depends on the plastic colour and the top-coat colour. He uses mainly acrylics, thinned 50/50 with Lacquer Thinners, and 20-25psi. I saw him put down a flawless high gloss finish on a 1/24th Rally Car, bright blue on red plastic, in about 25 minutes.

I hate him.

Anyway, hope this helps, and keep up the great work mate.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 18, 2010 - 04:22 PM UTC
They do make "acrylic lacquer" now a days for the auto world.{sounds weird don't it?}
Dave, let the paint sit a day and buff it with auto polish and see what ya think. I use one of the kid's old socks{lil things...kids too} and work an area at a time. Watch the seems and sharp corners that you don't polish thru. Wash the car off with soap and water to remove any polishing residue. When the shine is to your liking, add the decals and coat with something like testors rattlecan clear fast drying lacquer gloss. Roughly tack the 1st coat and 10min later hit it with a full coat of clear. Next day {polish alittle if needed and rinse it off and let it dry completely} and add a final coat of clear and buff the next day.
Dude, that body on the box has no decals lines at all, so either it's AB'd to look good or it's got 5-6 coats of wet sanded clear...now let's get yours to look like that!
...you got any 1500 to 2500 grit wet sand paper?
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They do make "acrylic lacquer" now a days for the auto world.{sounds weird don't it?}
Dave, let the paint sit a day and buff it with auto polish and see what ya think. I use one of the kid's old socks{lil things...kids too} and work an area at a time. Watch the seems and sharp corners that you don't polish thru. Wash the car off with soap and water to remove any polishing residue. When the shine is to your liking, add the decals and coat with something like testors rattlecan clear fast drying lacquer gloss. Roughly tack the 1st coat and 10min later hit it with a full coat of clear. Next day {polish alittle if needed and rinse it off and let it dry completely} and add a final coat of clear and buff the next day.
Dude, that body on the box has no decals lines at all, so either it's AB'd to look good or it's got 5-6 coats of wet sanded clear...now let's get yours to look like that!
...you got any 1500 to 2500 grit wet sand paper?

Thanks a million for all the info. This will help me.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 - 02:21 PM UTC
Dave, you're building this one faster than I could even get the box open.........and it looks great.

I'm gonna go paint camo on something.........(me sulking away shaking my head)

Hermon
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave, you're building this one faster than I could even get the box open.........and it looks great.

I'm gonna go paint camo on something.........(me sulking away shaking my head)

Hermon

I gather from this that you still have to go out to work everyday??? Hang in there. Retirement is not all it has been said to be........ It's Better!!!!!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 - 03:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I gather from this that you still have to go out to work everyday??? Hang in there. Retirement is not all it has been said to be........ It's Better!!!!!!

Oh nice...rub it in our worktables why don't ya- ...only 22 more years and I'm in your place{seems suddenly like a loooooong monday!}
On a plus note, it would seem you have "plenty" of time, Dave, to wet sand and recoat multiple layers of clear then.....We'll check back between shifts! I'll take the usual 6am-4pm shift like I have the last 22yrs. I'm going to now go and quickly check my 401k statement{laugh at it} and hop on the work table.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Oh nice...rub it in our worktables why don't ya- ...only 22 more years and I'm in your place{seems suddenly like a loooooong Monday!}
On a plus note, it would seem you have "plenty" of time, Dave, to wet sand and recoat multiple layers of clear then.....We'll check back between shifts! I'll take the usual 6am-4pm shift like I have the last 22yrs. I'm going to now go and quickly check my 401k statement{laugh at it} and hop on the work table.

You go for it. Remember every day is a present, so enjoy it to it's fullest!!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 11:37 AM UTC
Any updates on this one yet? Remember to install the decals, then hit her with two good shots of clear before you lightly wet sand...you don't want to hit the decals when sanding. Another two good coats with sanding in between each and your close...two more after that and you should see yourself in that paint{I hope that's a good thing to see }
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 02:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any updates on this one yet? Remember to install the decals, then hit her with two good shots of clear before you lightly wet sand...you don't want to hit the decals when sanding. Another two good coats with sanding in between each and your close...two more after that and you should see yourself in that paint{I hope that's a good thing to see }

I hope to get back to this one soon. Need to get some more paint to finish it up.
 _GOTOTOP