1941 Woody Wagon
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Just got back into model building a few months ago, after more that a 25 year absence, except for a 5 week period in 2008. I am usually build 1/35 scale WWII Military vehicles. But my cousin, who collects Woody Wagon items, was recently stricken with cancer so I built this for her. This is my 1st civilian auto build since grade school, at least 30 years ago. Let me know what you all think.
Photobucket
ATM 1/25 scale 41 Ford Woody Wagon
Photobucket
It was painted with a spray can and a brush
Photobucket
The hood didn't come with anything to keep it on and I didn't want to glue, it so I used some wax. That is what that blob is above the firewall
Photobucket
I was gonna shoot it with a coat of clear to finish it off. Just looking for some constructive criticism to help me improve all around. Thanks for looking.
animal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Auto Modeler: 217 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
Really cool woody. Glad to see you here at the shinny side of model building. I like the fabric covering on the top. What did you use for this?
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Really cool woody. Glad to see you here at the shinny side of model building. I like the fabric covering on the top. What did you use for this?

Thanks Dave, If you mean the roof, that was brushed on Testors Gloss Black Enamel. The kit came with the impression mark on the roof.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 12:03 PM UTC
Really cool Woody, I love it !!

One quick thing you could do to make the front end "pop" is put a very thin black wash over the grill. Once you clean it off the raised areas it will give the impression of actual gaps between the verticals.

Cheers, D
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 02:35 PM UTC
Hi Damian,
Thanks for the hint, I guess I should try that with an oil base paint thinned out. I have a go at it in the morning.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
Nice build but I'm surprised the kit didn't give you a board rack to put the surf board on...otherwise they hang out the back window.
I agree with the black wash and being an armor guy you'll know it flows beter when it's flat coated{clear in this case}. When it's done you can seal it with a gloss. Don't forget the same process here can be used for door and hood lines just like on tanks, but it's easier to do this before the glass goes in.
Nice job...it's nice to see more folks stepping outside of the armor box and try different things - there's plenty out there!
ltb073
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice build but I'm surprised the kit didn't give you a board rack to put the surf board on...otherwise they hang out the back window.
I agree with the black wash and being an armor guy you'll know it flows beter when it's flat coated{clear in this case}. When it's done you can seal it with a gloss. Don't forget the same process here can be used for door and hood lines just like on tanks, but it's easier to do this before the glass goes in.
Nice job...it's nice to see more folks stepping outside of the armor box and try different things - there's plenty out there!

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind word. Yeah Bob no board rack and As I said I built this for a sick cousin and asked her where she wanted me to put the board. I stuck it up there with a piece of wax so it can be easily removed if she wants. I added the black to the grill it looks better than in the photo. To much flash.
Photobucket
Thanks for looking guys.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
Nice looking model. And again, the wash in the grille worked out well.
I have trouble with car kit chrome but it looks as though you handled it ok.
You def have the appropriate lic plate on that ride!

_GOTOTOP