Car? Truck? Nope, a BUS!
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:29 AM UTC
Long time, no been on Auto Modeler.

Finally was able to get a job after 10 months of unemployment (pay is fair, job is fun).

With that, I'm working again for a proprietary online university (I will forever stay away from State schools!! ) and have decided to do Monogram's S'Cool Bus in the University's colors. Additionally, I was part of the inagural team to be hired there and put the place together (I DO love start up opportunities). There were roughly 12 of us on the FA team (they expect to populate the facility with about 600 personnel before long) so I'll be doing custom decals.

The decals will include the University logo, pictures (in the windows) of the first FA team, names, motto, et al. More to follow on that.

In the interim, here's a "proposed" color scheme and the colors I can "play" with (in addition to black):

I am very open to alternate color layouts as long as the colors are the same. I will allow myself some flex for the coloring inside the bus.

I've pretty much just started the build....basic motor and hood attached to the body. There's quite a bit of clean up to do on this kit. Oh, all chrome has been stripped (Easy-Off worked like a charm on Monogram's chrome plating!!) and I'll need AM slicks and wheels (the kit slicks are worse than $hit...just abSOlute garbage!!). I'm also open to suggestions to a place/person I can get nice slicks/tires/wheels from.

Thoughts? Comments? My ears (eyes) are open.

Mike
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Additionally, I was part of the inagural team to be hired there and put the place together (I DO love start up opportunities).

Mike

........................so is like the whole school 1/24 scale or just the bus? I hate to burst your bubble man but if that's how you're planning on getting the kids to school I doubt the enrollment will be very high.

Sorry man. Cool project and I'll be watching this one progress. I've bought some slicks and rims from this company in the past and had no problems.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0096p?&N=N&C=W&P=W&S=0000000&F=LXSWE2&L=HOPS0559&S1=WHEELS&S2=&S3=&S4=

Hermon
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:29 PM UTC
Hey Hermon, funny....yeah. LOL! Just the bus is 1/24th.

I appreciate the link and it's been bookmarked. Not seeing any slicks there tho.

Mike

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:48 PM UTC
Hmmm.....guess I should have checked the link. I bought a set there a couple years ago from a supplier. If you don't find anything I can probably round up a couple for the back out of the spares box.

Hermon
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
Very cool Mike. I've seen those kits and thought about picking one up, but wasn't sure how it would build. How's the interior of the bus look?

John
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How's the interior of the bus look?

Hey John! Interior is VERY basic....rollcage, seat, this or that. WIDE open to some serious detailing. In essence, there ain't nuttin' inside!

In the case of this version I'm building, interior means little as it'll be "buttoned up" with the option to open. However, I will plumb the motor some and all of the windows will either be "tinted" or contain a picture of the "inagural" team. So, not much inside to see when closed up.

Mike
pastafarian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 207 posts
Auto Modeler: 66 posts
Posted: Friday, August 06, 2010 - 03:48 PM UTC
Might still pick one up since I've been wanting to do an old bus for a while. To do a normal bus it looks like the hood would have to be dropped quite a bit since from the side it sits halfway up the side windows.

Interior seats shouldn't be a big deal since those were pretty basic anyway.

John
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:01 AM UTC
It's been over a year. Damn. I've been steadily working on this Everest Bus. The colors are down. The body is gloss Pure White at the moment. Just waiting on me to "Balls-up" and pull out the new AB.

Here's what the chassis looks like. I've NOT run and piping because it'll more than likely be closed up. I will put it in a wheelie position (I think).

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:06 PM UTC
Rear slicks came from Hobby Town...Pegasus I believe. The rims, front and back are stock as are the tires for the front.

The linkage for the steering is scratch; the kit part was too warped to mess with. I used aluminum and plastic tube to make that.

The only other scratch is not really, scratch. I used a piece of PE from the Aber set (knobs) I reviewed for the speedo/tach.

EXTENSIVE work was done to clean up the exhaust pipes; seams, rounding, drilling out the pipe ends. I think it worked out.

Ultimately the biggest thing was "color coordination."

Mike
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:25 PM UTC
good to see this back on the bench. Looking outrageous

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
Very colorful...should spent the extra dough for the anodized look though!
I just saw a build on another forum where they did a single engined shorty bus...really cool!
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC
Oh. I neglected to mention....I dropped the chassis. Oh my, oh my. Repairs. F-me. Ram, rear axle, front suspension, roll cage....

It's on the mend now.

Going to have to get the AB out soon....body paint baby!

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very colorful...should spent the extra dough for the anodized look though!

Anodized look? How? With what? I can't do it for this build, but maybe the next? Learn me pls.

Mike
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anodized look? How? With what? I can't do it for this build, but maybe the next? Learn me pls.

Mike

This will cost ya pal, base coat with any silver then cover coat with "tamiya color clears" for that annodized look. They're transparent colors meant to overcoat a base for a color tint. They have blue, yellow, orange and red...smoke too for that black chrome look. Flat coat for no shine or gloss coat for a shine...your call per your need.
I'll send you a bill...what was your address again?
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 - 10:51 AM UTC
Good gosh a mighty...nearly 2 years since I started this sucker? Well, still working on it. Not a lot of changes or additions, but the bench is cleaned and this one is ready for some work.

Yep, still working for EUO...so this Bus is rollin'!

The body is all white right now. Fine tuning the scheme and I believe I'll be laying tape soon. I really, REALLY, wanna see some paint.

I'd like some input on "how" to wire the engines....that'll just add much, much more to it. Can one of you fine folks, looking at that pic, tell me how? What do I need to get?

Mike
 _GOTOTOP