_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Ollie the Dragon, Essex Wire 427 Cobra
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Auto Modeler: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hello!
Here are some photos about my first finished car, the Monogram Essex Wire 427 Shelby Cobra. The car in the box depicts the well known Ollie the Dragon, CSX#30009, which raced many years in the 60s and the early 70s in America.

The kit is an 1982 issue Monogram model (the same kit is repackaged by Revell Germany and Fujimi). The model is very detailed but not easy to build, in fact I had to leave out 1-2 parts because they did not want to go to the intended place (cooling duct for example).

I made a few improvements, wired the engine, also added an ignition transformer, replaced the tonneau cover with one made of lead sheet, replaced the windshield (made from acetate sheet and a lead foil frame), and re-chromed all chrome parts with Alclad 2. I made new coil springs out of copper wire to improve the undercarriage. I used the box tyres, I sanded off the Goodyear lettering and painted the yellow rim by hand with a calligraphy brush (there is a little groove on the tyre to lead the brush).

For the finishing I used Tamiya spray white decanted to the airbrush (no basecoat was used) and then applied a 2C automotive clear (Dynacoat). The original decals were very rigid and broke at several spots. The final urethane clear coat was then polished to high sheen with a polishing kit by a small company SteamGuitar (I bought it at a swap meet in Hungary). Other paints I used were Vallejo Air and Citadel.

I am planning to add a little diorama to it, depicting Sebring, however it is not ready yet.

I made the photos with my Samsung telephone, unfortunately I am not very good at taking photos but I hope you still like the result.

Any comments welcome!

gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 07:14 AM UTC
Ooops the photos are too small. I will try uploading larger ones very soon - sorry.

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 06, 2011 - 02:38 PM UTC
Nice looking, but bigger pics would make that easier for folks to see your talents.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC
Love the subject.
Looking forward to seeing the bigger pictures
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Auto Modeler: 62 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2011 - 11:22 AM UTC
I think it looks great. Of course I was squinting, but it looked like a well built cobra to me.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 08, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
Now I am uploading some bigger pictures:

I hope it will work now.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 12:47 PM UTC
It looks very nice. Your attention to detail really made this kit shine. I just bought a 1/16th scale cobra on evil-bay. Seeing your wonderful build makes real glad I picked it up.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
Beautiful job Gabor, excellent attention to detail and the scratchbuilt cover looks great.

One of my neighbors has a Cobra replica and drives it past every weekend, they are a stunning car !

Cheers, D
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 06:49 AM UTC
Carl & Damian,

thank you for your kind replies (sorry for the delay on my side but I was on a business trip). I am glad you like it because it is the first car model I have finished. I have a Fujimi Enthusiast-series Porsche in the stash, a Tamiya Beetle and a Revell Audi R10 (already in progress with some photo-etch).

I am also considering building a second Cobra because, first, it looks so cool, second, I have made many mistakes on this one, so I should like to build a better one later (thinking about the Revell Germany boxing with the green finish and the flames on the side).

Carl, is the 1/16 Cobra an upsized version of the Monogram model or something different?

Damian, I envy your neigbour... a replica Cobra is almost as good as a genuine one. Cobras are something you will probably never see in my country ( however you can see a lot of nice Ladas and Skodas in exchange:))

BaconPaws
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 10:00 PM UTC
Really nice job there. Especially like the cover, so much more realistic than the kit one.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 12:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Carl, is the 1/16 Cobra an upsized version of the Monogram model or something different?

It is the MPC Cobra 427 1/16 Kit # 6422. I don't know if the kits are related
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It is the MPC Cobra 427 1/16 Kit # 6422. I don't know if the kits are related

I see thank you. It must build to a really spectacular model in this size.

Ian, thank you! Actually it was simple, I used the plastic part as a template, cut out the lead foil, sanded it to have a little grip for the paint. Then, I pushed the rivets in with a hypodermic needle and added the sewn thread with a riveting tool. I sprayed then Vallejo Air black mixed with some orange for the leather color. I hand-painted the rivets with Vallejo Liquid Silver. A little sand colored pigment has been used to enhance the sewn thread and tone down the black a little.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 11:13 PM UTC
Excellent shots Gábor. Very nice build. Love the scratchbuild cover.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 06:24 AM UTC
Gabor, A really solid build of one of the legends of road racing.

Joel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Auto Modeler: 157 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2012 - 10:23 AM UTC
Looks good Gabor...
 _GOTOTOP