For customized car kits and projects.
Porsche 550 spyder
unclebob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 07:28 PM UTC
Is there a consensus about the Jimmy Flinstone 550?
Should I look elsewhere for a model of the 550? I really don't care for the idea of butchering a 356 speedster kit for parts, is there another source other than scratch?

The problems I am aware of is the raised area on the back deck will have to be modified out and the hatch lines around the vents are wrong from what little I could find. what else do I need to be aware of?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC
I thought revell did a 550...sticks in my head that it was quite a few years ago. Try ebay and see if there's any options out there for you. As for JF's resin, I have a few of them and he does great work but as with most resin builds some kit has to get sacrificed to build what you want.......
unclebob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 07:06 PM UTC
I threw in and ordered the JF 550 but I will still have to pick up a lot of reference material to accurise it or the hump on the back will drive me nuts until I can either find proof of a 550 with it or modify it out of the kit.

There happens to be a high cost multimedia kit out of France from some joint called Profil24 that makes a 1/24 550 with a top from a Le Mans race version but I was hoping for a more "slightly common" street version besides the fact I don't want to plunk down $150 plus for a single kit.

The only Revell I was able to track down is slot car. That might be an option for me but the slot car thing makes me leery.
Thanks for the help
unclebob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 04:05 PM UTC
Here are some snaps of the 550 I ordered.
Questionable vent panel lines.

Rear engine shroud "hump".

Some strange holes in each side of the body, I suspect this might simply be a mold plug or other anomaly from the manufacturing process of the kit.

So far I have not found any references to verify these details. If a fellow modeler could point me in the general direction or at least name a few reference books with the details I seek, I would be thankful.
type550
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi,

I am new to this site although I have been lurking for a while. I know a bit about Porsche 550 spyders and the 550 mould you have is a 550A which is the model after the 550RS. It has the inspection doors in the side of the rear to tune the carbies and the grills at the rear are a lot lower and also hinged. The holes in the body are to adjust or remove the torsion bar in the car.

If you want some reference pics of a 550A, you can find them here - http://www.caporsche.net/images/carsforsale/356/Silver57Spyder/images.html

thanks Andrew
unclebob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 06:43 PM UTC
Thanks for the link, very impressive looking car.

Wanting to skirt the Fujimi/Testors 356 sacrifice to the resin demons I ordered an older Tamiya Ghia instead. If I were to order a 356 I would have to build it as a 356, the 356 would be to much temptation to pass up. Also the 356 die casts appear to have poor details to rob from and require a lot more effort to modify the existing parts of to be acceptable. So far I believe the most difficult part to scratch might be the vents.

I will use what I can from the Ghia model and try and scratch build whatever won't work or use a crap load of sculpting putty. Maybe I will do a WIP thread when the 550 build queues up. Maybe even a kitbash of the leftover Ghia parts.
 _GOTOTOP