For customized car kits and projects.
New Revell '48 ford custom build
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 08:00 AM UTC
Just bought this kit yesterday and was told the LHS' model show was this coming saturday...no pressure....so I'm going to try a quickie build of this to take this coming saturday. Let's see if I can pull it off- I started last night @ 7pm.
1st off, while it's a nice custom with a top chop right out of the box...I want more. No roll pans were given and I wanted canted rear door posts, so I took care of both. The kit has tuck and roll interior so after I muse the body color I'll need to find a "white and something color" idea for it. Just snapped some body pics to show you and then I'm off to start the chassis-

You'll note the "connection piece" between the front and rear fenders, yes, that's kit included.
Last pic shows where I moved the gas door over to the passenger side...made it a tear drop{why not?!} The canted door posts are roughed in and still need to be rounded and scribed. When that's done I'm going to loose the drip rails over the doors for a cleaner look. Took the AMT '50 ford's trunk plate holder and glued it inside the '48s truck, then carved out the hole to get to it...recessed plate! Tail lights will be "slits" and mimic LED style lights...possibly a 3rd brake light as well under the rear window.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 08:45 AM UTC
You need to build fast Bob, really really fast. Hope you'll make it
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
...I know!
Frame is gloss black now, rims are traditional red and I'm choosing the body color- pearl white, lime pearl or grape pearl.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
More progress, got the rolling chassis done in gloss black, wheels are done except for the hubcaps and the body is ready for color{pearl white}...

There was alot of retweeking and resmoothing for the body but it's finally ready. You'll note the tri-carb on the flathead...two just wasn't enough!
The wife chimed in stating that this model has really got back...needs a "crack"...she's ever so supportive, ain't she{would be darn funny though...nah!}
Planning on a copper and white interior....time to go mask alot of tucks and rolls!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 12:36 PM UTC
Argh.........stupid paint!!!!! I tried using the testors white pearl lacquer{one coat my butt}...ok, where's the dang white!?...it looks nothing like white - just silver! This is going to me the real set back time wise....wish they'd actually put the paint color on the cap! Maybe a candy clear red over it but that's enamel and though I've done it before with good results it takes 4-5 days to fully set up...no good.
At least the rolling chasis is good to go and the interior is nearly ready to go together.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 12:04 AM UTC
A shame about the paint.
Copper and white tuck'n'roll interior sounds pretty good.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 - 01:14 AM UTC
Looking good O-D, maybe our next Auto Group Build should be Ford vs ?

Keep up the great work mate.

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Here's the "white"...mind you, in lessor lighting it looks exstremely silver, but with 4 decent bulbs bearing down on it with light, of course now it looks white!
I'm rather put off by the whole ordeal and just pulled the trigger on some Tamiya grean candy over it...this is what I wanted to begin with but the Testors light pearl green was too dark for my liking...pics will follow of the new color soon and I think it'll look better with the interior.

Yeah baby...this is what I wanted! TS-52 Tamiya candy green! Your looking at 2 decent coats here.

In my opinion, do the Tamiya pearl white for your white car!...biased opinion here of course.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In my opinion, do the Tamiya pearl white for your white car!...biased opinion here of course.

I'm planning to use Tamiya rattle-can Pearl White for my 57 Chev, if I ever get time to get back to it that is

Excellent progress on this BTW !

Cheers, D
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm planning to use Tamiya rattle-can Pearl White for my 57 Chev, if I ever get time to get back to it that is

Excellent progress on this BTW !

Cheers, D

D, here's what your going to get with "that white pearl"{ok, not the green portion of course!}

...as I recall, that's a base primer coat with 3 coats of tamiya white pearl followed by 3 coats of clear.....just so you know my friend.

The Testors white pearl is just too silvery under normal lighting...hit her with bright light and it turns the expected white, but inside a house with regular lights....expect a really silver finish with a vague hint of white...maybe I had a bad can - I don't know?!
The tamiya shows the same inside or out...it shows white with a subtle hint of pearl like you'd expect...that's why I'd recommend that one to anyone at the moment.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
I'd tell you all this much...the kit taunts that the top is chopped, and from what I've seen of web shots it is, but it could use more of a chop for a more dramatic look...next one of these I'll take it down more I figure! I'd guess the kit to be a scale 3" chop.......Adding to that, if your inclined to redo the rear door pillar canted like mine, add some more thickness to it and curve it more than I did...just a thought....might want to round the bottom door edges too....I redid the trunk edges and left the door bottoms since that seems to be tradition, but in retrospect.......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2011 - 02:57 PM UTC
Oh...forgetting all sorts of stuff aren't I....the tuck and roll pleats in the seats are an even amount so you can't do an alternating pattern without two rows matching. An odd amount would've been handy!
This leaves me with simple white seat and door panel inserts...simplicity isn't such a bad thing I guess at this stage of the build! Maybe I'll try my hand at using half round stock to redo the '51s seats since that has flat seat inserts...oh, next custom up for me is a '51 chevy fleetline - the top is already cut up! ...gotta do something while the '48s paint is gassing out.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 11:20 PM UTC
ohh yeah, that candy green looks awesome.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 06:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

ohh yeah, that candy green looks awesome.

..Hehehe, yeah it is! I finished the painting exhaust "in" the chassis...not fun once it's in there but that's the way they call for on the destructions. The interior is closer and I just painted in the 2nd coat of transperant red for the tail lights and third brake light. Pin striping follows then clear coats on the body...I'm taking a slower pace lately since there's no rush now.

More work on the '51 fleetline's roof...that one will take a while!............
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 07:50 AM UTC
I forgot, I never posted a pic of the rolling chassis-

Here's the current stage of the interior, still need to finish the dash up-
vonHengest
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Auto Modeler: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 07:12 PM UTC
Your '48 looks beautiful from your last posts. Have you finished her yet?
 _GOTOTOP