_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Creating an anodised appearance
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Auto Modeler: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 07:34 PM UTC
Has anyone got any suggestions for replicating the appearance of anodised metal?

Have some motorbike forks that should look gold anodised, but just painting them gold doesn't really look right.

Have tried clear colour of over silver which kind of works but so far just end up with orange or yellow looking rather than gold effect, so if anyone can suggest a close match to a clear gold that would be cool.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:27 AM UTC
This is just a thought, haven't tried it. How about adding multiple layers of diluted gold on a silver base. Topping it of with a satin clear coat.
Or adding a drop of gold to a satin clear varnish before applying it to a silver base.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 08:09 AM UTC
What color of anodized?

Alclad has some nice transparent colors to use over their metallics to replicate different shades of anodized.
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
Auto Modeler: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 03:30 PM UTC
Try this on a scrap piece of plastic:
Paint a base coat of Tamiya flat aluminium. Once dry, paint a coat of Testors gold paint (the one in the small bottle). Once that is dry, overcoat it with clear orange, and then put a coat of dullcote on, and this should replicate a gold anodized finish.
I was shown this trick about 15 years ago by a guy who won multiple awards with his motorcycle kits.
Give it a try, and see if it works. What the heck, on a piece of scrap plastic - no harm, no foul if it doesn't work, right?

Art
Pave-Hawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 900 posts
Auto Modeler: 27 posts
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 - 07:02 PM UTC
At the moment I am trying the suggestion of mixing gold and satin clear, using Lifecolors matt gold paint(it's appearance in the bottle seemed a good match for photos of gold anodising), and while it looks like I may need to experiment with rations and use an airbrush to ensure even coverage, initial brush on experiments show promise.

At the moment I am somewhere around a 60-70% satin clear to gold ratio.

Thanks for the different suggestions guys
 _GOTOTOP