1952 Hudson Hornet
rob_pollock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 12:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Here are a few snaps of the Moebius 1952 Hudson Hornet convertible.

The finishes are auto lacquers Merecedes Black and Honda Milano Red. Interior the same but with a flat varnish to tone it down. Exterior Chrome is Alclad II, while interior items are are BMF.

The engine detail is great from the box, but I used RB Motion spark plug and distributor boots with narrow gauge lead wire for detail, and a few other sections of misc wiring and plumbing for added interest. The wind screen wiper mechanism pulley on the firewall is detailed with aircraft rigging line.

This is my first car model (usually aircraft and some occasional armour), so I probably made heavier going of the kit than someone with more experience, but I think the quality of the kit is first rate.

Thanks for looking!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 12:49 AM UTC
Beautifully finished build Rob, I love it !

Cheers, D
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 03:11 AM UTC
Looks really neat..tidy finish and some good detail work.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 10:21 PM UTC
Very nice build Rob. Thanks for sharing.
wildsgt
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 327 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 01:41 AM UTC
Outstanding build
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 05:11 AM UTC
Great finish!! Did you polish or buff any?? Looks like you have...

How did you mask for the chrome?? I have a 53' Corvette that I am going to use Alclad on, but was wondering how to mask for the molded-on trim!
rob_pollock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great finish!! Did you polish or buff any?? Looks like you have...

How did you mask for the chrome?? I have a 53' Corvette that I am going to use Alclad on, but was wondering how to mask for the molded-on trim!

Hi Brian,

Clear lacquer finish, set aside for two weeks in a dust free area (drawer) so that the clear finish would harden and would not show tape marks from masking. I used Tamiya tape. No polishes because the Alclad over clear lacquer tends to 'ride' the surface and perhaps not grip as well as over base paint, although the Alclad still dries virtually instantaneously.

I think if you tried to polish it the chrome would rub away as the clear lacquer is so hard. If you applied Alclad first and then clear lacquer the chrome would probably go dull, so this method is a little experimental and a compromise. As I said, I'm not a regular car modeller and so maybe not the best person to ask, but I got there in the end!

By the way, the bumpers have not been clear-lacquered - just treated by way of primer/black/Alclad, so the car can be picked up holding it just under bumpers either end and will not mark.

You may notice in the photos the black looks a little spotty - unfortunate side effect of high gloss finish on black is that every dust mote seems attracted to it! I'm putting it in a standard display case to keep it clean.

Thanks for you comments.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 12:43 AM UTC
Great looking model of a great looking car.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 01:10 AM UTC
Thanks Rob for your reply. I asked you because you got great results!! and the fact that you arn't a typical car modeler.

I guess I still need to play around a bit with the Alclad to see what works and what doesn't...

_GOTOTOP