_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Le Mans Kit Questions - Help for a NooB
PorkChopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:26 PM UTC
Hi Car Guys,

I'm a long time air/armor/ship guy who's recently found himself interested in cars (I said it would never happen). Specifically, the closed cockpit Le Mans cars of the 70's and 80's. Back when I wasn't paying attention, it seemed that these kits were absolutely everywhere. Now that I actually want to buy some, all I find is "discontinued". I'm primarily looking at Tamiya 1/24 stuff. Just about every livery / make that catches my eye is out of production. Compared to Tamiya's aircraft kits, which never seem to go OOP, their cars are apparently an entirely different game.

So... My big question is, is this a "normal" thing where, like with Hasegawa aircraft, they continuously reissue the same molds with new decals and box art, or are these Tamiya Le Mans cars gone forever and I've missed the party? Have Le Mans cars in general gone out of style with car modelers?

Thanks,

Bill
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Auto Modeler: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC
You can still get late 60's early 70's Ferrari's and Ford GT40s from Fujimi. Most of the stuff around at the moment are Porsches in various liveries, and 90's- early 00's Japanese entries; Mazda,Toyota etc. Hasegawa, Fujimi, Revell and Tamiya all make some cars from this era.

As for being normal, I guess it is. When sales start to drop they withdraw a mould, and then re-release it if they think it'll make money.
 _GOTOTOP