_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Racing stripes
TopSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Auto Modeler: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2014 - 01:43 PM UTC
I race slotcars and Scaleauto makes a 1/24 Viper. I want to make the Viper in red with the twin white stripes. I have two questions. First is the shade of red. The cars are raced under floresent lights so they don't look the same color as if you were out in the sunlight. What paint and shade of red would be tough (for crashes) and bright red (taking the floresent lighting in consideration). Second would be how to paint the stripes without leaving a ridge along the edges.

Thanks from an armor guy.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 01:39 AM UTC
Hi Greg,
I'm not going to be able to offer any first hand advice, but I'll throw out a couple of ideas.

Vallejo has a paint line which they say is suitable for slot cars in their Premium RC Color range, which sounds like some pretty tough paint. Some nice shades of red too.

As for the stripes, if I were using lacquers I wouldn't worry too much about a ridge, I'd paint the stripes silver first and then white. With other paints I'd try to make my own with a white decal sheet.

Hopefully others have some better suggestions.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi Greg,

The Hobbytown I worked at had rolls of striping tape for cars. I recall several were florescent.
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
Auto Modeler: 409 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2014 - 02:17 AM UTC
Long time ago in a far off land we used to paint our slot cars on the inside (the body's were moulded in clear plastic).
Frisk masking and an air brush should not give you a ridge.

_GOTOTOP