_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Calsonic Skyline GT-R :Tamiya 1/24 Item 24184
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
Auto Modeler: 57 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
Forgive me, it's been a while since my last build......

Now that my confession is over, let’s get down to brass tacks. My friend Steve has been trying to get me to build the 1/12 Datsun 240ZG, but that is still way too scary, so I have opted to appease him with the Skyline.
This is something from our teens, with the Cortina XR6, Alfa TV6 and the Skyline GTX duelling it out on the race track.........(eyes mist up)

This version of the Skyline never set foot on our shores back then, but in civi's it was the ultimate wolf in sheep's clothing, a 500hp, fire breathing, super car eating MONSTER and it was called the Skyline GT-R!! :affraid:

The version I'm building is the 1996 JGTC version sponsored by Calsonic.
Keeping it simple, I'm planning on a stock build with nothing fancy. As per my usual modus operandi, It will not be fast I take my time and enjoy the build. I hope that you will join me?

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 08, 2015 - 12:03 PM UTC
Cool. Looking forward to seeing it evolve.
halfpint33
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, November 13, 2015 - 08:54 PM UTC
I'ii be watching as well. I myself am just starting my first build in a few years. It too is a Tamiya kit.
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 14, 2015 - 04:31 AM UTC
Welcome gents, nice to have you along.

Just a small update, as the roll cage goes together - prior to painting. It's a pity that this version does not have a full engine, but then again that would only be any good for a garage display. This one will be out on the track, I'm planning to drop the 1/24 rally driver in and have it bounce off the apex.......or something like that.

It's quite a comprehensive roll cage, thus far. I can't complete it until the driver arrives to be dropped into his painted racing seat with a full harness.

The front and back suspension assemblies are quite comprehensive as well for a relatively simple kit.

Thanks for looking.
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
Well, I've finally done something, the suspension has been fitted and a little light weathering applied to the underside.

Onwards and upwards, I've started some work on the display base for Skyline. The car is going to be shown mounting the curb on the apex of the corner, though not as spectacularly as the accompanying picture.

I've also test fitted the driver.

Thanks for watching.
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC
FINISHED!!

Well, I'm stranded at home because of the rail strike @ Southern Railways, so I have decided to use my time constructively - not only doing DIY!^_^

I'm calling my Skyline finished, unfortunately I ran into a bit of bother with the decals - a silly mistake, but I don't think that they actually detract too much from the finished kit. I used a few after market bits just to give it a little more ooomph! The PE hood pins were something - lost two just trying to handle them!!>:( The safety harness was another head scratcher but I managed to implement it along with the driver.

I figured how to put the bounce into the build and give the car a dramatic pose in a static position. The base I think is probably the best part of the build and one needs a nice setting for the kit, otherwise at times they just look a little lost.o.O

Its been at least 25yrs since I last built a car, it's been a challenge to some degree. I still need to figure out this gloss coat malachy but I'm still quite chuffed with the end product, so I hope you like it?;)

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 - 06:53 PM UTC
Lovely job Gavin, you caught the action taking the corner really well.

Cheers, D
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 10:30 AM UTC
Thanks Damian, most appreciated!
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 03:19 PM UTC
Beautiful build Gavin. Would have been cool with some dirt and grime on the model, since you've put it on that cool base.
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 04:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful build Gavin. Would have been cool with some dirt and grime on the model, since you've put it on that cool base.

Thanks for that Jesper, unforunately the sun light overpowered the weathering.
I'll post some more photo later on under ideal conditions (atificial lighting).
The_Snowman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 - 10:45 PM UTC
Jesper, as promised with a little bit extra weathering.

_GOTOTOP