_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Entex Porsche 917 Spyder
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2018 - 12:56 PM UTC
I'm a nearly 50 year Porschefile, and have been looking for 917/10 kits for some time. Yes, there are resin kits out there but the prices are absurd. So I stumbled onto this Entex 917 Spyder. It is a model of a 917PA, which Porsche made only 2 of and one was destroyed at Nurburgring. I believe this to be 917PA 001, owned and driven by Siffert. It IS historic....but the model is somewhere around 40 years old so it's near-toy quality. But detail is OK. I'd be curious to hear if any to hear have built one of these. Entex went out of business in the early 80's.
Seems to be a better-than-average molding but the chrome is horrible (too bright) and I can fix that.
This one of my backlog kits (which seems to growing exponentially) so I have no idea when I'll make it.
Anyone make one of these?
Szmann
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands Antilles
KitMaker: 1,977 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,371 posts
Posted: Friday, December 21, 2018 - 02:55 PM UTC
Pat, I'm sorry - never heard of Entex, let alone build one of them. Apparently is a second unheard of company that surfaced on the forum in the last month Well - we learn! Any pictures from the box?

On my last build on Tamiya VW New Beetle I have sprayed Alclad over the original chrome and It worked just fine! The situation might change if you have seam lines under the chrome, but you can try on a piece of sprue first.

Cheers!
Gabriel
bluebell914
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Auto Modeler: 49 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2018 - 09:01 AM UTC
Entex started in 1970, and folded by the early 80's. Did fairly well but went bust after trying to get a foothold on computer gaming (PacMan2). I'll try to put up a pic of the box.
 _GOTOTOP