Cars: Other Racing
For automotive racing topics not already covered.
Ebbro 1/20 scale Brabham BT18 F2
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2019 - 08:27 AM UTC
Hi Joel

I'm truly sorry to learn of the passing of your friend. 72 is too young - my big brother died aged just 70 - and they both should have had some quality years ahead...

But I hope that photo brought back many happy memories! I never got to race anything seriously - Dad was keen for me to join a grass-racing team (he used to race motorcycles pre-WW2) but Mum forbade it - and there was only ever going to be one winner in that discussion! LOL!

My go-to (when I remember it!) for any gloss enamels is Rustins Driers - it massively reduces the cure-time. How I didn't start that way on the MGB is beyond me...

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2019 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

I'm truly sorry to learn of the passing of your friend. 72 is too young - my big brother died aged just 70 - and they both should have had some quality years ahead...

But I hope that photo brought back many happy memories! I never got to race anything seriously - Dad was keen for me to join a grass-racing team (he used to race motorcycles pre-WW2) but Mum forbade it - and there was only ever going to be one winner in that discussion! LOL!

My go-to (when I remember it!) for any gloss enamels is Rustins Driers - it massively reduces the cure-time. How I didn't start that way on the MGB is beyond me...

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,

Loosing your brother at 72 is also way to young. My brother and I are both 71, so where getting up there. Even though we spent half our lives fighting, but the other half as best friends, just couldn't have been replaced those times no matter what.

As for the photo that Frank carried all these years, it sure did. One thing you quickly realize is just how fast time does fly. I have no idea where the time went, but it sure did.

This morning, I glued on the windscreen and the Talbot mirrors.
Test fitted the upper shell and the engine cover that I'm leaving off but next to the car as it covers just about everything back there. I'll take a few pictures with it on, and then struggle to remove it. it's that hard to do. I still have to drill out the 4 holes for the steel pins so I can remove the top shell when I want to, but other then that, I finally crossed the finish line. The clear gloss finish is a mile deep and crystal clear. By far my best effort to date.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 05:39 AM UTC
As the Brabham BT18 finally crosses the finish line, my build has come to an end. Hard to believe, but another build in the books. That's 6 for 6 since I got back into cars last year. Never did I think I'd have a perfect build/complete record, as I never came close in any aircraft run.

This was my 2nd Ebbro kit, and certainly not my last, as it's quite a Bang for the Buck. I found the detail to be Tamiya quality, which one would expect since Ebbro is part of the Tamiya family empire. The kit decals were really excellent quality, and I wouldn't think twice about using them again.

For the most part the part fit was dead on perfect, well thought out, and went together in a logical progression. But there were part assemblies that weren't necessary as more isn't always better then less. The exhaust headers were a big plus compared to the Tamiya individual pipes that always are a nightmare, so Ebbro usually had each bank as a two piece header. But on this kit, the pipes are all separate once again. This did cause me quite a lot of difficulty in aligning them correctly to the two collection pipes.

The half tubular molding of the chassis pipes still concerns me. The reasoning that you can't mold them doesn't work as there are full pipes molded on the bottom of the chassis. Go figure.

Bottom line is that not only would I build more Ebbro kits, I've got 3 more in my small but ever growing stash, no matter how hard I try to keep it in check. The theory that I'll build most of them when I retire doesn't work for me, as I've been retired for more then a year now. As far as I'm concerned, retirement is really a vacation that just never ends

I really have one more major step to finally call the build done, and that's drilling and pinning each side of the upper shell to the lower shell, as they don't stay perfectly closed. Not a hard job, but one slip and I've screwed up what I consider to be my best paint and finish job by far. I've also left off the engine cover in both pictures as in the display case. Reason being that it's nearly impossible to remove.

Here's a dozen pictures of the BT 18s last photo shoot. And thanks to all that have stayed the course, checked my progress throughout the build, and posted the good or the bad. I thank you all for your support, as it always has meant quite a lot to me.

Joel

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 10:11 AM UTC
Congratulations on getting another one over the line Joel, and a beautiful build it is!

Build log threads like this one are great because there is so much information about the kit and the process as well as the history of the car, an excellent reference thread for those of us who build this kit in the future. Having your personal experiences, as well as those of others here, woven through the thread, is a real bonus!

Many thanks as always for sharing so much detail during your build, I'm looking forward to the next episode of "Willstein's Garage" now.

Cheers, D
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Auto Modeler: 495 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 01:24 PM UTC
What Damian said!

Congratulations Joel! I hope a few well earned were had!

The finish came out very nice.

A quick question though: in some of the shots the lower half of the body shell looks slightly lighter than the top? Is it a trick of the light?
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 02:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A quick question though: in some of the shots the lower half of the body shell looks slightly lighter than the top? Is it a trick of the light?

I noticed that as well, just assumed it was the pale grey of the carpet reflecting off the curve of the body shell.
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I noticed that as well, just assumed it was the pale grey of the carpet reflecting off the curve of the body shell.

Ahhh.... could be! Quality finish, that!
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Auto Modeler: 701 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 09:19 PM UTC
Beautiful finish Joel! I know you waited for this kit for a while and you have certainly done Jack and his car proud.

Looking forward to your next build

Cheers
Michael
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2019 - 11:51 PM UTC
Beautiful job Joel. Thanks for another joyful ride
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 02:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations on getting another one over the line Joel, and a beautiful build it is!

Build log threads like this one are great because there is so much information about the kit and the process as well as the history of the car, an excellent reference thread for those of us who build this kit in the future. Having your personal experiences, as well as those of others here, woven through the thread, is a real bonus!

Many thanks as always for sharing so much detail during your build, I'm looking forward to the next episode of "Willstein's Garage" now.

Cheers, D

D,
Thanks so much for being along for the ride from the start to the finish. Your comments and advise were always a big help, and the encouragement I needed at times.

Wow!! Willstein's Garage. Now that's something

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 03:16 AM UTC
Russell & Damian,
Just noticed the lighting issues after reading your posts.

The top and bottom shells were primed, painted, then stripped at the same time, sanded with #600 then 1,000. Primed at the same time, then painted at the same time with the same exact bottle of Gravity paints. The polishing and waxing were done at the same time with the same 3 polishes and wax.

Up close and personal, they're Identical as far as a half blind old man can tell. What I do see in the pictures is that the issue as Damian pointed out is the softness of the gray Micro Fiber towel reflecting more light on the lower half. In some pictures you can see darker front sections by the front steering then the rest of the shell due to the lighting issues.
But the main culprit is my lighting setup that I used all these years for aircraft.

The setup is two Daylight Tensor lamps at 45 degrees from the model that were adjusted so that they were pointing slightly down, and a fill light which is a Daylight Ott light. I've always assumed that the Tensor lights were 5500 K but now they're most likely 6500 K.

The setup worked well for aircraft as all the light is from above and from the front.

With cars I've been setting up the Tensor lights so that they're directly in line with the shell seam, so there is more warmer light on the bottom half then the top half. Add to that the OTT light being colder and weaker in intensity, the top of the shell would look darker.

Up until now, all the car models except the Lotus 72E which is Black, were sports types with multi colored top and bottom, so that this issue doesn't show up.

I guess I'll have to go with a 3rd Tensor light as a fill light on my current build.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful finish Joel! I know you waited for this kit for a while and you have certainly done Jack and his car proud.

Looking forward to your next build

Cheers
Michael

Michael,
Thanks for your thumbs up, it's certainly appreciated. Like you said, I've been waiting for this kit for almost two years and just about gave up. Richard posted that FreeTime hobbies had it in stock. To this day, I've never found it other then on Spot or HLJ.

I sure hope that Black Jack would approve of my efforts.

I've started my next build, and it's another race car, but that's about all that they have in common.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 03:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Beautiful job Joel. Thanks for another joyful ride

Jesper,

Thanks so much my friend for enjoying the ride. It's greatly appreciated.

Joel
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
Auto Modeler: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 07:11 AM UTC
That's a wonderful result of a fiddly kit as it looks to me. Something you can be proud of. I like the green colour. Have followed your progress silently as usual in the background. This kit remembers me of the racing cars I saw in one of my first Formular 1 books when I was a kid. I think I don't have it anymore.
So, what's your next project for "Willstein Racing"? You see, I go one step further than Damian ....

And enjoy your retirement, Joel! I still have 12 years to go.

Torsten
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 07:20 AM UTC
Hi Joel

Lovely job! It looks brilliant! It's a credit to the shine that it's reflecting the cloth it's posed on.

You've certainly got me itching to make a start on my Lotus.

All the best

Rowan
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 09:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Russell & Damian,

The top and bottom shells were primed, painted, then stripped at the same time, sanded with #600 then 1,000. Primed at the same time, then painted at the same time with the same exact bottle of Gravity paints. The polishing and waxing were done at the same time with the same 3 polishes and wax.

Up close and personal, they're Identical as far as a half blind old man can tell. What I do see in the pictures is that the issue as Damian pointed out is the softness of the gray Micro Fiber towel reflecting more light on the lower half. In some pictures you can see darker front sections by the front steering then the rest of the shell due to the lighting issues.
But the main culprit is my lighting setup that I used all these years for aircraft.

The setup is two Daylight Tensor lamps at 45 degrees from the model that were adjusted so that they were pointing slightly down, and a fill light which is a Daylight Ott light. I've always assumed that the Tensor lights were 5500 K but now they're most likely 6500 K.

The setup worked well for aircraft as all the light is from above and from the front.

With cars I've been setting up the Tensor lights so that they're directly in line with the shell seam, so there is more warmer light on the bottom half then the top half. Add to that the OTT light being colder and weaker in intensity, the top of the shell would look darker.

Up until now, all the car models except the Lotus 72E which is Black, were sports types with multi colored top and bottom, so that this issue doesn't show up.

I guess I'll have to go with a 3rd Tensor light as a fill light on my current build.

Joel

Definitely a reflection of the carpet then-a result of such a good quality finish is depth of reflection.
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Auto Modeler: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, April 29, 2019 - 11:01 AM UTC
Joel - Another beautiful job - well done my friend . I think you and many others following this blog will get a kick out of several videos posted on YouTube.
There are several different ones with in car point of view of Caterham ( formerly Lotus ) Sevens eating Porsches alive at the Nurburgring. One in particular with a red Seven will have you tensing up and stabbing a nonexistent brake pedal - masterful driving of a VERY twitchy car !
Anyway, looking forward to the next build .

Cheers Buddy ! Richard
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 01:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a wonderful result of a fiddly kit as it looks to me. Something you can be proud of. I like the green colour. Have followed your progress silently as usual in the background. This kit remembers me of the racing cars I saw in one of my first Formular 1 books when I was a kid. I think I don't have it anymore.
So, what's your next project for "Willstein Racing"? You see, I go one step further than Damian ....

And enjoy your retirement, Joel! I still have 12 years to go.

Torsten

Torsten,

I've felt your presence here, as friends stay friends no matter what build interests and ventures we now have. I don't think that I've ever missed a single build presentation from your famous "Look What just Left my Assembly line" ongoing thread. Never to this day have I been able to decide what I like more, your museum quality builds, or your in depth history of the pilot and or aircraft. That fact just keeps me coming back for every new presentation. You take the time not only to educate us neophytes, but consistently find pilots, and specific aircraft that will grab any model builders attention.

As for my next project, it's not exactly your run of the mill race car build. Honestly, I'm not so sure that I can actually get this one across the finish line to my current standards (not that those standards are that high to start with). Tamiya started out making motorized cars in 1/18 scale!! The best I can figure is that scale was chosen simply because it was just large enough to house two AA batteries, and a small electric motor. The entire series consists of the McLaren M8A, the Broadley Lola T-160 TS, the Porsche 910, the Nissan R381 Sports Prototype racer, & for some unknown reason that makes absolutely no sense, the Honda 360 street car.

Anyway, being a huge fan of the SCCA Can Am series, I managed to purchase off of ebay both the Lola and the McLaren. So I'm attempting to rework the Lola in to a decent display model. Well, that's the plan. As I said, I'm giving myself a 50/50 chance at actually getting this iconic car across the finish line. There is much more to the background story of the build, but that's for my opening update hopefully sooner then later.

So please, stop by and even post just a wave or thumbs up.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joel

Lovely job! It looks brilliant! It's a credit to the shine that it's reflecting the cloth it's posed on.

You've certainly got me itching to make a start on my Lotus.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks for the double thumbs up. If my builds have got your juices flowing, then I've succeeded in my blogging efforts and intentions.

Honestly, the paint shade issue is driving me somewhat nuts at this point. I've pretty sure that at least 90% of the issue is my poor lighting standards and setup. It's also plausible that painting each section even at the same time could have resulted in less or more paint being applied to each coat. I never really counted passes for each shell part. But that wouldn't have made that much of a difference. In any event, I'm going to use a 3rd Tensor light as well as a plastic base, and see where that goes.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Russell & Damian,

Joel

Definitely a reflection of the carpet then-a result of such a good quality finish is depth of reflection.

Russell,
Sure seems that way, but I have to come up with a better plan moving forward. I've got a few ideas, but only time will tell.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel - Another beautiful job - well done my friend . I think you and many others following this blog will get a kick out of several videos posted on YouTube.
There are several different ones with in car point of view of Caterham ( formerly Lotus ) Sevens eating Porsches alive at the Nurburgring. One in particular with a red Seven will have you tensing up and stabbing a nonexistent brake pedal - masterful driving of a VERY twitchy car !
Anyway, looking forward to the next build .

Cheers Buddy ! Richard

Richard,

Welcome to the final show. So glad that you can make it. The BT18 only happened because of your email that Free Time Hobbies had it in stock. Odds are I would have eventually ordered it from Spot models in Spain or HLJ but you saved me all that expense and time.

So you're in reality a benefactor of the build actually getting done. Thanks again for keeping an eye out for me.

So how's the restoration coming along these days? By now you should be in the final stages, and getting ready for that 1st ride.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 08:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Honestly, the paint shade issue is driving me somewhat nuts at this point.

Hi Joel

I honestly don't think you need worry - the more I look at the photos, the clearer it is that it's simply reflections.

Plus, if the paint looks right to you when you hold it up to the light and examine it... it is right!

We all tie ourselves in knots at times trying to photograph things as we see them - but, to be honest, all that really matters is that the subject passes muster with our own Mk.1 Eyeballs (any modeller worth his/her salt is their own harshest critic. )

As regards creative juices, along with a new kit for our reviews section (which might well be silver with a Mercedes logo on the front...) I've just ordered some goodies for my Lotus 49B - which I'll also review of course.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 01:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Honestly, the paint shade issue is driving me somewhat nuts at this point.

Hi Joel

I honestly don't think you need worry - the more I look at the photos, the clearer it is that it's simply reflections.

Plus, if the paint looks right to you when you hold it up to the light and examine it... it is right!

We all tie ourselves in knots at times trying to photograph things as we see them - but, to be honest, all that really matters is that the subject passes muster with our own Mk.1 Eyeballs (any modeller worth his/her salt is their own harshest critic. )

As regards creative juices, along with a new kit for our reviews section (which might well be silver with a Mercedes logo on the front...) I've just ordered some goodies for my Lotus 49B - which I'll also review of course.

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
Thanks for the support. I guess that now that I've achieved the level of "Shine", I just need to pay a little more attention to how I go about the photography end of it.

I do have to admit that I catch myself just staring at the BT18 in it's display case as the finish of the Dark BRG really is by far my best finish to date. The trouble with that is now I have to repeat it or even kick it up a notch.

Joel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do have to admit that I catch myself just staring at the BT18 in it's display case as the finish of the Dark BRG really is by far my best finish to date. The trouble with that is now I have to repeat it or even kick it up a notch.

Joel

Sounds a lot like what happened to the Royal Navy after they commissioned the Dreadnought
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2019 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Sounds a lot like what happened to the Royal Navy after they commissioned the Dreadnought

Russell,
Those British Dreadnoughts were cutting edge back then, I somehow doubt that my modeling & painting abilities are anything more then middle of the road at best.

Joel