Scale truck modeling topics.
Picture Frame Diorama - Loading Bay
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,264 posts
Auto Modeler: 210 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:21 AM UTC
This is my first try at building a picture frame diorama. This build went together pretty quick and easy. It was enjoyable build to say the least. Hope you like the results:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side by side comparison. The photo on the right is the photo that inspired me to make the photo on the left:

Klaus-Adler
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 04:05 AM UTC
Speaking as an HGV driver who has reversed onto many a bay, I say you have got your loading bay absolutely spot on mate, well done.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking as an HGV driver who has reversed onto many a bay, I say you have got your loading bay absolutely spot on mate, well done.

Thank you David. I appreciate your professional view.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 04:46 AM UTC
Charles,
1st time through till I got to the side by side pictures, I thought that I was looking at the actual dock. That's how good it looks. Your weathering is absolutely spot on.

Joel
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 05:57 AM UTC
Thank you Joel.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 08:37 AM UTC
Hi Charles,

As always, you sure nail the subtleties, be it color, texture, materials, or form - wow. I'm glad to see you posting again.

It seems difficult to find the right "home" for projects like this - very high quality model building, not clearly tied to any specific genre - this could be a loading dock for a tractor trailer? sci-fi thriller? a military diorama? along a waterfront? Whatever the case, I sure enjoy seeing the work.

Stay well and keep building,

Cheers
Nick
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 09:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Charles,

As always, you sure nail the subtleties, be it color, texture, materials, or form - wow. I'm glad to see you posting again.

It seems difficult to find the right "home" for projects like this - very high quality model building, not clearly tied to any specific genre - this could be a loading dock for a tractor trailer? sci-fi thriller? a military diorama? along a waterfront? Whatever the case, I sure enjoy seeing the work.

Stay well and keep building,

Cheers
Nick

Nick, always a pleasure hearing from you. I appreciate your overviews. I guess it could work inball genres with a little tweak. btw, I'm lovin what you are doing with the D7. A true artist my friend.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 03:17 PM UTC
Charles, another outstanding piece of work my friend! A simple image that created a concept, then right through to a beautiful "shadow-box" diorama, I love it!

As Nick said, this concept could be applied to any genre.

One of the best I've seen is from a guy who saved a car collection from a deceased estate that was about to be trashed, and cut the cars up and weathered them to make a junkyard shadow box scene.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Cheers, D
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 04:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Charles, another outstanding piece of work my friend! A simple image that created a concept, then right through to a beautiful "shadow-box" diorama, I love it!

As Nick said, this concept could be applied to any genre.

One of the best I've seen is from a guy who saved a car collection from a deceased estate that was about to be trashed, and cut the cars up and weathered them to make a junkyard shadow box scene.

Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Cheers, D

Yeah! Seen that many times before. A darn fine job.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 06:17 PM UTC
Outstanding job Charles.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 06:44 PM UTC
Glad you like it Jesper. Thank you.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2020 - 10:29 PM UTC
Very nice. Can tell us more on how you built it? How did you do the “rubber pads” around the loading door? How did you do the signs?
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice. Can tell us more on how you built it? How did you do the “rubber pads” around the loading door? How did you do the signs?

Hi Ryan. The rubber pads were made from a material I had collected many years ago. I don't remember where I got it from. It must have been scrapped. I usually find stuff that might be useful for future builds. The thin rubber-like material had nylon backing, which I removed. The rubber bumpers are thin rubber I got from my job. They usually throw away these types in the dumpster. I always go through the dumpster and pick out anything that might be of use.

The signs are printed from the internet. I just find a high resolution photo of the object I'm seeking, then using a doc program, I scale them down in mm. Then just send it to the printer.

The brinks were made using form-board, a ruler, and sharp xto knife. Hope this helps.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 01, 2020 - 08:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the information.
ti
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Dalarnas, Sweden