Scale truck modeling topics.
AMT Ford LNT-8000 Day Cab
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 02:33 AM UTC
Engine looks great. Looking forward to more progress.

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks Jim, it is weathered more than shows in the pictures. Flash washed it out a bit.
Stickframe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Auto Modeler: 431 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hi David, I'll second that - the engine turned out really well! Nice touch with tubing with the lettering on it! where did you find that super detail part?? really looks good -

cheers
Nick
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 19, 2020 - 01:27 PM UTC
Thanks Nick.

Cheap Chinese 24 gauge solid core wire I found on Amazon. LOL Came in a two pack of black and red (that is closer to orange and might work for heater core hoses on a 60's to early 70's car)

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,974 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 02:26 AM UTC
David,
I'm finally catching up on the goings on here on the Truck Forum. I just don't get here very often. That's surely a major loss for me.

My overall knowledge on trucks and truck modeling is at best "0", so I usually look at a truck build from the point of view of a modeler only. And so far I've loved what I've seen here. Your engine detailing looks most realistic. Same goes for all those lines weaved in, out, and around the chassis.

And your tire detailing really has kicked them up more then a few notches. The foam does give the tire a whole new look, and the laser lettering decals look better then the real deal.

Like you, I never really have anything to drink on my bench or computer desk as it just ends up seating there either getting cold or room temp warm. I've tried playing music or having a pod cast on, but in no time flat I've tuned them out as my focus is on the build. What I keep on my monitor is detailing pics and info for quick reference, and at times, even forget about any of that.

I'll be following along for the rest of the ride for sure.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 07:39 AM UTC
Thanks Joel, means a lot.

I use the latest posts button so that I don't really miss any posts.

I don't know much about trucks but, I research a lot for each build and I'm constantly learning more.

As to the tires, they came that way with the laser engraving and I read about the foam filler on another forum.

Anyway, I got the MM Italian Red laid down today. I'm trying to run through as much of my Testors/MM paints as possible since Rustoleum has killed the brand.

I'm on the road all next week so it will have plenty of time to cure.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 08:44 AM UTC
David,
Have a safe trip, and see you when you get back.

If you're interested in shooting enamels, MCW paints has just introduced a full line. I'm going to be trying them out myself real soon. Nothing shoots nor looks like enamels in my book.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 11:06 AM UTC
The MCW and ScaleFinishes enamels are some of what I was looking at trying. Scale Finishes first because his are available to order more easily right now and he has a specific color I'm looking for. Kenworth Ivy Bronze

I'll be online from my hotel, just no modeling for me.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 20, 2020 - 11:43 AM UTC
Stay safe on your road trip David!

Nice work on the engine, the yellow over black primer is a good deep shade. I just noticed the "sawtooth" rocker covers. They would look great on a hot rod V8!

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 - 01:30 AM UTC
David,
Funny that you should mention ScaleFinishes. I'm going to be switching over to both his lacquers and enamels over Gravity's as long as he has the colors I need. With my heavy road racing focus, I'm sure that I'll be using both Co's often.

I'm really looking forward to trying out those enamels as I kind of remember just how great of a gloss finish you can get with them.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 21, 2020 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
Funny that you should mention ScaleFinishes. I'm going to be switching over to both his lacquers and enamels over Gravity's as long as he has the colors I need. With my heavy road racing focus, I'm sure that I'll be using both Co's often.

I'm really looking forward to trying out those enamels as I kind of remember just how great of a gloss finish you can get with them.

Joel

In a kind of cross posting from your Jagermeister build and the mention of old aircraft paints. In the using of the MM stock I found a bottle I'd forgotten about. MM Chrome Silver FS 17178. That is/was just about the best single stage chrome look paint prior to the Alclad and later stuff. I used some on the door mirrors and ICC marker lights last night. Would make a lovely base color on a nuBSG Cylon Raider too, may have to pick one up.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC
Small update since getting home the other day.

Mocked up.

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 11:04 AM UTC
Nice mock-up. Looks pretty good to me.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Detail Masters makes a Ford L8000 P/E set. The only issue is, there is only one hood sire emblem. The need to fix that.

Jim
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice mock-up. Looks pretty good to me.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but Detail Masters makes a Ford L8000 P/E set. The only issue is, there is only one hood sire emblem. The need to fix that.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

I wasn't aware of that so thanks on that too. I'll file that way if I ever build this one again.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2020 - 11:59 AM UTC
Looking good David, the test-fit is showing things dropping into place nicely.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 01:07 AM UTC
David,
your mock up looks great as everything seems to fit from what I can see.

Joel
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 05:30 AM UTC
Thanks guys, been a fun old school/ clean every part/ the details are there, but they're soft/ not a Tamiya shake and bake / why did I attempt this? kind of build.

Working on detail painting the interior and the lug nuts this evening. Hopefully she'll be up on all 10 by tonight. Seems I misplaced the shifter lever somewhere, may have to make something up for that too.

On the plane to Durham, North Carolina tomorrow morning for a couple days.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 06:46 AM UTC
Truck is looking good.

Quoted Text

If your free Wednesday night we have a club meeting in Cary @ Hanger 18.
Also I have ordered from but not been to Atomic Empire in Durham if you need a hobby shop to visit.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Truck is looking good.

Quoted Text

If your free Wednesday night we have a club meeting in Cary @ Hanger 18.
Also I have ordered from but not been to Atomic Empire in Durham if you need a hobby shop to visit.

Thanks for the info and offer Ryan. The center I'm going to wants us to work on the unit Tuesday evening. I'm going straight from RDU to Duke and working till late, should be a 4-6 hour upgrade. Hoping to catch a few Z's and then hop an early afternoon flight, at least that is the plan.

As I'm fond of saying, Murphy was an optimist.

Anyway, nothing much accomplished tonight as I went to my neighbor's to help him and his son move a slab of 2" thick White Oak into his office to build a computer desk from. Think a slab of tree that goes from 24" wide at one end to 54" wide at the other and about 120" long. Stayed and had a couple beers after that.
Tank1812
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Auto Modeler: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2020 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info and offer Ryan. The center I'm going to wants us to work on the unit Tuesday evening. I'm going straight from RDU to Duke and working till late, should be a 4-6 hour upgrade. Hoping to catch a few Z's and then hop an early afternoon flight, at least that is the plan.

As I'm fond of saying, Murphy was an optimist.

Anyway, nothing much accomplished tonight as I went to my neighbor's to help him and his son move a slab of 2" thick White Oak into his office to build a computer desk from. Think a slab of tree that goes from 24" wide at one end to 54" wide at the other and about 120" long. Stayed and had a couple beers after that.

Hope the install goes well and if other forces keep you around we will welcome a new face. If not safe travels then, they say it will be wet.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 02:40 AM UTC
Thanks Ryan, would have been cool to meet someone from this section of the forum. I've met in person folks on the Armorama and Model Geek sections so far.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2020 - 03:31 AM UTC
David,
I've met up with two guys from Aeroscale and it does make such a huge difference in the friendship. Now we talk about when we'd be able to meet up once again.

I've got one long term goal for a meet that the odds aren't realistic of ever happening, and that's with Rowan. Seems that the little pond just East of me is the main cause. But who knows, stranger things have happened.

Joel

Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2020 - 11:54 PM UTC
Not a lot of progress in the few days I've been back home. I got the windows installed last night, but ended up with some clear glue smudges that need to be cleaned up today.

60 lug nuts were painted across the 6 wheels that have them. Not fun at all and in one of the three sessions the paint fought me and won. Going to have to disguise the failures somehow.

Tires and wheels should be on the chassis tonight as well as mounting the interior to the chassis.

Found that I missed a couple parts when painting too. Have to hit them tomorrow most likely.
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 09:21 AM UTC
Calling this one done for the time being. I'm going to wait to weather it until I have built a trailer to go with it.

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2020 - 09:33 AM UTC
Very nice clean build David, looks really good!

Like you said, best to leave any weathering until you get a trailer done so they match up.

I've taken to doing the tiny detail painting with Vallejo Metal Colour acrylics. They cover nicely over the base lacquer paint, and any little mishaps I just clean up with a toothpick dipped in water.

Cheers, D