For customized car kits and projects.
Red Baron Dragster moified
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Auto Modeler: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 02:59 PM UTC
Greetings all; Usually I just do WWI aviation subjects and I thought I would breakaway to do something different...well I almost did. Modified... geeeezz I must be tired.

The Bloody Red Baron - ‘The Ultimate T ’
Historically speaking this 1/24 car model is in the top ten all time favorites. Released initially in January 1968 as kit # PC-205 it grabbed wide national attention in the United States with model builders of all ages almost immediately. The Red Triplane had been in the background of the box art even at the first issue. In about August of the same year the box size was standardized and a small (HO scale) red Fokker Dr.I model was added to the box kit #PC-212. Even a ‘Hot Wheels’ version (#6400) & Collector Card (#6740) was later included in the kit. Then in 1969 a 1/12 scale version (Kit #2506) was produced. Finally in about 1969-70 a ‘full sized version was built with a stock Pontiac OHC 6 cylinder motor as its power-plant and a Silver metal flake spiked helmet top. Everything from the song ‘Snoopy vs the Red Baron’ to the California ‘Surf Craze’ and the popularity of street ‘Model T’ Rods all contributed to designer Tom Daniel’s vision. One of the most recent issues was a special collectors edition where the cardboard box was replaced by a metal tin (kit # 4110.) One thoroughly bizarre spin-off kit was the 1969 ‘Ghost of the Red Baron’ which essentially was a ‘Snap-Together’, spike helmeted, glowing eyed, ‘bobble’ skull on an surfer’s cross pedestal. A smaller version was included in the 1/12 scale kit. Throughout the many production issues of the 1/24 scale kit the directions have remained in the same format with 5 steps of multiple exploded views and scrap views. For those interested the paint scheme for the small scale Fokker Triplane was the only accurate portrayal of Manfred von Richthofen’s Dr.I 425/17 available commercially for many years. Even when ‘Monogram’ was designing models for fun they got it right more often than most other model companies.

Step 1.) I began by de-chroming most of the kit parts (except the wheels.) I was going for a more scale effect and ridding myself of the seam unions. Also I decided on using ‘Testors Model Master Buffing Metalizer’ paints. Even the accompanying description of the Mercedes engine in the tin box issue uses the word ‘shrunken.’ The overall acclaimed 1/24th. scale as being typical for car models, the engine actually scales out closer to 1/48. The overhead cam assembly (P 4& 5) lacks any evidence of rocker springs. I chopped up a 1/72 scale rotary engine from a 1/72 ‘Revell’ Nieuport 28 and used the cylinders to represent the rocker springs and their caps. The I cut blackened brass rod flattening the ends and glued them to the front of the rocker box covers. Then I applied ‘Grandt Line’ hex head nuts to simulate the retainer bolts. The rocker arms were offset by cutting every other ‘spring’ 1/64th of an inch shorter than the others. Then the engine was further detailed continuing to use the ‘Grandt Line’ hex nut heads. As the engine halves ® 1 & 2) and the air intake halves (P 6 & 7) were joined I sanded down the union seams. Spark plug wires and the carrier bar can be added per the original. Check your references. Note on the original engine the cylinder water jackets were the colour of blued metal. The oil pan (P 3) was made from ‘Duraluminum.’ (Dur was the city of manufacture for the aluminum.)

Step 2.) My first modification here was to replace the molded in “trani-facade’ with a highly detailed resin version from master car modeler, Don Farhni. Mine was evidently designed for the Pontiac big block engine. Since the full sized car had a Pontiac motor it seemed appropriate and it fit the hole. Linkage was fabricated from brass rod & wire. Another modification was made by drilling successively larger holes from under the cab on the frames. These ‘lightening holes’ then had smaller holes drilled between them. Monogram had done this to a small extent I just continued the detail. Brake lines were added to the disc brakes and then a black wash denoting some shadows and detail. The shock absorbers had their plastic oleo struts removed and bright metal ones installed in to pre-drilled holes. The body of the shocks were painted to match the car body.

Step 3.) The front end assembly is fairly straight forward and can do with some scratch built brake lines. I opted for replacement of the front wheels with those from a spare T’rantula Rail (Kit #6737.) When I added them I gave the wheels a decided ‘right turn rake’.

Step 4.) Bring the engine into the frame work and add four ‘Grandt Line’ hex head nuts to represent motor mount tie down bolts. I also replaced the headlights (P 27 X 2) with items from a set of model rail road lenses. These have depth and look like head light lenses. Next add the simulated wiring to the back of the lense frames on the radiator shell (P 28.) Run the wiring down the frame into pre-drilled holes in the firewall (P 26.) I added some metal rod running from the rear face of the radiator housing to the outer edge of the firewall.

Step 5.) Concerning the cockpit, I modified it by adding a more detailed, scratchbuilt instrument panel. The instrument faces are decals from various aircraft interior sets strategically set on a solid piece. then add a solid clear piece over the decal faces. Next add Another piece that has had circles cut out to reveal the instrument faces. Circular bezels from ‘Fotocut’ were added to simulate the types found in WWI aircraft cockpits. These were actually flanged edges of the instrument housings that would bolt or screw onto the instrument panel. The steering wheel was replaced by a modified control yoke from the 1/28 scale ‘Revell’ Fokker Dr.I Triplane. The small scale Spandau machine guns (also closer to 1/48) were replaced with 1/28th scale brass ‘Fotocut ‘ items on the Revell 1/28 Triplane kit breeches. The ammo feed units were from the spares box. The radiator cap and cross hair sight was replaced by a 1/72 scale brass three armed steering wheel to represent a Mercedes Star.

The Colonel: is a 1/24 scale 1900 Policeman figure from Preiser of Germany, modified to represent a Colonel of the Bavarian General staff with the Bavarian Max Josef Medal 3rd class and the Prussian Orden Pour le Merite, the ‘Blue Max’ from 1916-1917.

This was a great build and my slight interest in WWI aviation seemed to have some small affect on this build. It was great to reacquaint myself with this old friend and bring it up to even a more bizarre appearance. Model On!

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 05:33 PM UTC
That classic kit, certainly takes me back. My brother build this kit ages ago. I remember I was quite jealous, cause he had that cool carkit, with the big helmet and I did not. A few years ago I restored the car for him, so I sort of build this kit too.

Back to your model. You've definitely done a great job on this classic. The paint job looks awesome and the modifications you have made looks really great. The base and the colonel is a very nice touch.
The red bands, that hold the gas tank, could be a little sharper though(Nitpicking, I know)

The historical background, on the model, is very interesting. Thanks.
liberator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 06:52 PM UTC
WOW..i remember this one..the moment i saw..it brings back the yester years..felt bad i didn't bought the kit many years ago..i was still a kid when i fell in love with this dragster. i was saving every cents to buy this..but too late when i have enough money..the dragster was gone. hotwheels also produced a smaller version of the redbaron..i remember it was a black/silver helmet.. red baron dragster. and it slip of my hands..somebody bought it too early that day. items like this rarely come and go in the supermarket or toystores..specially in this part of the globe. one thing i'd learned that day..was saving all my cents to get what i want. which up to know i've been doing. but on a bigger scale.
thanks for sharing your dragster. i'll save some pictures to show my friends. thanks again.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind words gents no worries on being nitpicky. It just makes me want to be better at the next one. I have 5 on the shelf (4 boxes and a tin. ) I just don't think I could add anything else on the next build...unless I chopped it into a two engine rail! Hmmmmm....
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:03 PM UTC
Greetings all;

I was just dropping by and noticed that a few people have read this since I first posted it. Glad to see the custom car modelers are still alive and kicking.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Friday, February 16, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
That is a great write up. Nice to see an older kit getting some TLC
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:04 AM UTC

Ditto on Scott's post. Excellent work man, it looks great! I've seen this model so many times, built and boxtop, and yours rocks!

Cuhail
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 11:05 PM UTC
Very nice, but wasn't the "hat" done in chrome origonaly?

Now, as for motor moding...were you thinking something in the nature of Ivo's showboat?...maybe 6 though... :-)
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice, but wasn't the "hat" done in chrome origonaly?

Now, as for motor moding...were you thinking something in the nature of Ivo's showboat?...maybe 6 though... :-)

Greetings old Dragon;
Yes originally in chrome but for an automotive attempt I wanted to do more of a continous color scheme. For my eye the chrome was the only thing you could see on the kit. and I wanted to highlight the details. The Ivo's showboat went right over my head. Sorry.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 03:48 PM UTC
Ahhh, sorry, I'm a gearhead at heart so it comes natural for me...the "Tommy Ivo Showboat" was a 4 engined drag car{2 per side} from the 60's.
Those machine guns aftermarket?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahhh, sorry, I'm a gearhead at heart so it comes natural for me... the "Tommy Ivo Showboat" was a 4 engined drag car{2 per side} from the 60's. Those machine guns aftermarket?

Thanks for the clarification...I have a vague memory of the 4 engine sled. The guns are from two sources. The breeches and muzzles are from the 1/27 Revell Fokker Dr.I triplane kit and the fretted gun jackets are from Tom's Modelworks photoetch Spandau sets.
Mojo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:38 PM UTC
Wow,
Nice looking build... But does that kit bring back memories..I was im a small hobby shop last summer and saw alot of those old kits.. Almost grabbed a few.. Might have to pay them another visit..

Dave
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2008 - 05:37 AM UTC
Greetings all;

Just repairing a couple of broken image links.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 05:42 PM UTC
Whats this I hear? A re-re-re-re-release of the Red Baron and the Rommel's Rod? Is that possible?
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 03:12 PM UTC
Fantastic rebuild. Details are awesome. My only question at this point is where is the Col.'s saber rack for when he's driving?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 06:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Whats this I hear? A re-re-re-re-release of the Red Baron and the Rommel's Rod? Is that possible?

I heard the very same thing!!!!! I can see rommel's rod box stock and one with 1/25 german figures in it......ok......"whole ones!". Sadly, no dates have been tossed out...it's like playing "hurry up and wait" for the trumpy german aromored rail stuff...or the amt semi trucks and trailers...or this.
 _GOTOTOP