For customized car kits and projects.
Cuhails "Suprise" GTO
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Well, I mentioned in my 70 GTO thread that I was whipping up a suprise hauler for the race trailer hauling the 70 Pro Stock. Here it is!

A Phantom El Camino/ GTO hybrid I like to call "El Cabra" or "The Goat". The pics suck because I haven't taken any on the good camera, just on the phone cam. Better pix are in the future.
Anyway, here we go!

Yeah! '65 GTO front end and a '65 El Camino bed and roof. Fun to do! I hate foiling though and have some more to do, but, it all went very well.

Questions? Comments?

Cuhail
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, October 09, 2006 - 08:13 PM UTC
Looks good from what i can see, when you get your camera takes some better pics and post again, we think alike in my stash i am working on my Trans Mino a 1979 Trans Am front end and a 1978 Elcamino from the doors back, now where did i put it?
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC

No kidding, huh? I hate not having my own camera to use whenever I want. The camera phone res is horrible! The good camera I use is awesome! A Canon EOS Rebel, but, it's from my Mrs' work so I can only use it when I remember to tell her to bring it home. Luckily, we bought an extra download cable so I can download to MY 'puter directly.

The build was challenging. I had to feather in a piece of sheet stock to match up the trim panel between the GTO front and the El Camino rear, and believe me when I say it wasn't a piece of cake.

Here's a blurry pic of that:

GODS! I hate my camera phone!

So, my brotha, I encourage the build you're gonna try. It sounds interesting. I am looking forward to seeing how your joints work out.

Peace!
Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 - 11:16 AM UTC
Well the pictures aren't exactely top notch, but the cool hybrid looks to be. Quite impressive Cuhail.
Now go borrow that Canon.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 02:16 AM UTC

Okay, borrowed the camera!

Again, about 99% finished. I have Pontiac/GTO PE stuff to apply as well as some paint to re-touch.
The tonneau cover is .010 aluminum with only 1 coat of primer and two coats of collor and no sanding before the clear coat. I forgot to do it, but, it came out pretty smooth.

Thanks for looking.
Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 11:36 AM UTC
That's more like it. Excellent shots. Love the look of this car. You've done a great job on the hybrid.
Have you used bare metal foil, for the chrome trim? Looks awesome.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC

Yeah, I used BMF for almost all of it. The vent window chrome was done with (shhhh don't tell) a silver Sharpie. Try it, it does good, non-essential work on hard-to-foil spots.
Thanks for the good review, it was a neat build.

Cuhail
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I used BMF for almost all of it. The vent window chrome was done with (shhhh don't tell) a silver Sharpie. Try it, it does good, non-essential work on hard-to-foil spots.
Thanks for the good review, it was a neat build.

Cuhail

With this post I answered my own question on BMF, but a silver Sharpie? Is that a colored pencil? A paint-marker? Help!?
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:20 PM UTC
A Sharpie is a permanent marker made by Sanford, so-called due to it's "Sharp" point. They come in a variety of colors and everyday I find myself turning to them for detail work. I used the "Metallic Silver" for this instance.

Pleasure,
Cuhail
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Auto Modeler: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 07:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the info- we have something similar here. Will have to look into it...

Great work too, I'm looking on doing some custom work in the future. If you have a chance to write up a blow-by-blow on the mating of the two kits please do, it would be very interesting since you pulled this hybrid off grandly!

Thanks again!
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 04:05 AM UTC

Thanks for linking me to this thread...The Goat looks mighty fine.

Did you use the stock El Camino chassis, or did that go under the knife as well?

-YL
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 06:18 AM UTC

I used the El Camino chassis, but, I did have to make some alterations to make it work. All in all, it went so much smoother than I thought it would.

Thanks man!
Cuhail
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good from what i can see, when you get your camera takes some better pics and post again, we think alike in my stash i am working on my Trans Mino a 1979 Trans Am front end and a 1978 Elcamino from the doors back, now where did i put it?

Let's see it!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 - 07:04 AM UTC
Nice job murph...I saved the '65 comino bed for something else later...yet another mutt with alot of cutting and redoing!
 _GOTOTOP