60's & 70's Classics
Stupid cat! -AMT '66 Buick Wildcat
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC
Okay, so the MG MOQ got me looking at my car stash and feeling..."buildey". I see this AMT 66 Wildcat sitting there and think, what a car, right? Yeah! My neighborhood has a 67 Wildcat rumbling around all the time and everytime I see it, I say "Man, that looks sweet! I gotta build that model!"
So, again, I'm checking it out in the stash. I open it up and just laugh. The whole rear suspension is molded in. Including the exhaust. Including the rear axle and driveshaft.
Oh well, I guess this one goes on the shelf without the mirror under it. Huh? What a waste of good plastic. I swear, 1/32 snap together kits look better than this cop-out. BAD AMT! I mean really, haven't ya made enough money off of us to grace us with a couple of recuts to the molds? C'mon RC2, get back in the game!

Sorry, rant over.

So, now I come to what to do with it. I like the big interior. The engine will go into the spares box while the replacement will be an AMT stock car Chevy like Chimpala's. I'll just give it a coat of Buick Engine Green (Actually, Hampton Blue) which reminds me, does anyone have a color sample for Buick Engine Green or Hampton Blue? I'm not so anal as to go out and buy a specific color, but, I'll do my best to come close with what I have. I just can't find an example through internet searches.
The body will be stock '66, but, I'm gonna get jiggy with the paint. I'm thinking two-tone, dark red on top, black underneath. I'm NOT sure whether to go with a red/burgandy interior or a black.
I'm thinking a good, level, slightly-high stance on four fattie tires with NASCAR rims, the fronts classically narrower. Totally a cruiser.
So that's what I'll be working on for the next two weeks or so. Look for a different thread, but, that's the plan.

Again, stupid AMT!

Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:06 AM UTC
Been there, done that. I had the same feeling, when I build my AMT 1966 Wildcat. A beautiful car, but an awful kit.

Not sure, but I think Buick changed engine colors, for 1966, to red. Might just have been some engine options(Big block, high perf.) that got the red colors though. A red engine would go well with the two tone paintsceme.

Good luck.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 03:14 PM UTC
Total dissapointment
What can you do?
I'd go with the burgandy interior a nice dark red, almost black but with a nice rich red to it. Gives you dark but not black affect.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC

Here's what I have in mind:

Jesper: Red? Really? Nothing I read said anything like that, just a color called Hampton Blue. Which is, I guess, green. I'd like to stick with that too, I just don't know if it's a dark green or a light green or more of a blue-green mix.

Scott: Yeah, I like the burgandy too. I'm gonna go with it.
Thanks guys. Good imput!
Cuhail
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 06:45 AM UTC
Nice two-tone. Nice thick tires and some front and rear photos - cool.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hey Murph,
Here is what your looking for...

Hampton Blue, color is like a cheap silver/blue tuxedo.

Engine Green, it's a light metallic green

If you want you can head over to a local auto parts store, there you can buy those little bottles of touch-up paints. Just watch what your buying, try to stay with acrylics.

Joe
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 08:22 AM UTC
Thanks Joe. The top picture is hard to make out, but the bottom picture tells me exactly what I was looking for.
You da man!

Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP