Scale truck modeling topics.
3 views on an old dodge cabover?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:50 AM UTC
I've searched the web{google} for the last 3 days and found a couple of pics, but nothing to really build what I want{including the bighorn truck}...does anyone know where some 3 views might be of the old boxy dodge cabovers{late 60's} or full pics{front/back/sides} of any of these old doge trucks...any help would be greatly appreciated!

...and 3 views of an old single axle, trailmobile{round front}, moving trailer would be great too! {wanna do an "old" Allied van lines trailer.}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 01:15 PM UTC
...no replies yet, huh{me thinks this is a sign of answers to come..or not come..hehehe}
BTW- I do know about{and have on faves} "hankstruckpictures.com"
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC
Sorry for no replies - I've not seen any images. You may need to find a private collector.

Do you have an image of something close to it... Someone may not recognize the name but know of the shape and style.
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:42 PM UTC
Bob,

Have you looked at the line of "First Gear" trucks in 1/34 scale?? I know they make some Older trucks..... it might be of some Help.

http://www.firstgearonline.com/ There's TONS on Ebay as well.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
Model King has an old Dodge 400 cab over coming out late summer....one kit as just the truck, and the other is the truck and trailer with a '40 ford or something on the trailer.

Decently priced, should be a good seller!!!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:24 PM UTC
Is this the tractor you are looking for?

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC
Scott, see grumpy's post..that truck kit that's coming out from lindburg is the L-700 and that's the truck pictured on grumpy's post. Yeah, they tossed in the 40' ford on the trailer...neat idea. I have two old IMC L-700 kits{truck only} and am building one right now as a city flatbed truck{slow goings lately I might add}.
Grumpy/scott...I have that site on faves already{nice site!...check the bighorn} and while they have some info/pics on the heavy dodge trucks{L900/1000} it's not enough to build with yet. Let me go find a pic of the truck in question that I'd like/love to build........I'll be back.......
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 - 02:04 PM UTC
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/martin_phippard/slides/70s/file0011.jpg
There, a nice color shot. Problem is most shots are of the "front and side" profile...fine for simple viewing, rough for a scratchbuilder.
If you like trucks{and trains} back track through the site...get comfy!
There's some nice shots of the dodge bighorn too, but same front/side profile.
I need a 1/25 scale ruler{actually don't have that one} and some givens, like were all truck tires back then 20" rims? Deck heights...anything for a size reference...I can build from there.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 01:50 PM UTC
Bump.........anyone? I heard that "Illini replica conversions" and "MTFAco" did bighorn and cabover conversions, but I can't find they're sites through a google search. I just emailed STS to see if they can still get they're previously listed dodge cabover kit{not on the site anymore}.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:01 PM UTC
Sorry Bob, can't help you on that tractor.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Auto Modeler: 107 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Bob,
The truck in the image link is more commonly known as a Dodge "Crackerbox'.
Somewhere I have a link to a walkaround view (approx 50 images if my memory serves correct ).
I think it was on the ATHS website.
Will try and hunt it down and forward the link.
Also there used to be 2 resin kits available (1/25th scale), but if you are ofay with photo scaling and basic scratchbuilding it's a pretty basic shape to knock-up.
Best of luck.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 01:32 AM UTC

Anyways, while I'm hunting - heres another website that has some brochure scans plus if you troll around in there you'll find other useful snippets of info
http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/truck_brochures/dodge/
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
Oop's,
Must correct my previous statement
actually it was the GMC that was known as the 'Crackerbox' not the Dodge (brain is currently on holiday ).
But if you want to go down that road (pun intended)
heres a link to GMC info
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Fmodel.htm
Similar design (box on wheels).
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 - 02:20 PM UTC
Casper, thanks, please let me know when you find that link...I prettymuch plan on scratching it myself{usual resin conversion is around $50...could buy alot of supplies for that}, I just lack enough all around shots for details since it's really just a box.

Grumpy, hard to believe that I stumped the community{leave it to me}.
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 01:37 PM UTC
Bob,
Bad news I'm sorry, looks like ATHS has changed the site links etc because all my tagged files now come up as dead-links .
I have contacted a few friends "in the loop" to see if they can find the required info.

Regards
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 07:36 AM UTC
Casper, any luck on reaching out to your friends?
I'm winging it for now, but I'd love a better way. Last night, after we put the kids to bed and I watched the wife fall asleep on the couch, I pulled up a pic from "olddoges.com" of a sales brochure for the heavy dodges...grabbed a piece of paper and marked off the wheel centers and hoped the truck shown is the short frame...folded that marked area in half and then did that again for each half, then quarters...now I have a side shot of the cab and chassis a ruler with marks every scale 7". The rims are supposed to be 20" and my crude ruler seems to confirm that...the space behind the cab to rear wheel centerline is right on and now I have crude specs for cab dimensions...being able to accurately blow up the pic to a given scale ruler size that matches would've been nice{I've done it before for line drawings}, but the pic wasn't that great to begin with and blowing it up gave me an awfully undetailed view...too much work to clean it up, so I did it the easier way.
Remember, you can do this to an extent for front and side shots for some specs like wheel diameter, just measure the undestorted spec{top to bottom} of the rim and the top to bottom of anything else...front to back on that kind of view will be distorted...but it can get ya close. Cab width can be made from actual model frame/wheel width and one can gauge grills and the like from tire references{on front shots}. Don't forget knowns like lic plate width or headlights as a reference too...those are always the same size.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 06, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC
Casper, I just now went and checked that GMC site...neat. I like the F and the L model cabovers...the F looks like a simple enough cab to do.
Found out the other day the the early Macks and Ford cabovers were very close...change the headlights and a front badge and viola, I can turn one of my fords {AMT US mail combo kit} into a mac. Cool.
I used a few shots of some model95 astro daycabs to mark off the AMT astro I have...got a 352 pete off of ebay acouple of days ago..she's destin to become a daycab too{I like daycab cabovers...can ya tell}.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 06:22 PM UTC
Took me two days, but I got it now...a 4 view drawn{side/front/rear/top}. Anyone interested in seeing it? It's done in 1/25ish scale.... 1 scale foot equals .500 realtime{1/2"}. Scale 1" came out to be .040 realtime.
Probably build it on one of the dodge single rear axle IMT kits or the AMT ford single axle kit.

..can I use my armorama pic hosting page to show that pic here?
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:00 AM UTC
Hi ya Bob,
Bad news I'm afraid.
Seems that the Dodge isn't one of the more popular "Classic" trucks hence the lack of info.
Hope your build still goes ahead, I'm sure the 'modellers licence' will come into effect - but who's to know .
Must off and start cutting some plastic for my 1/24th scale Scammell Constructor.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 02:12 PM UTC
Bob,

I'm definately interested! PM me if you want to.

Jim
casper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 - 10:55 PM UTC
Bob,
I assume you've stumbled across this website
http://www.olddodges.com/index1.htm
if not - enjoy
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 02:07 PM UTC
AITM has a resin Dodge CNT 900 / 1000

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/
AaronW
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 02:52 PM UTC
RMR just came out with a Big Horn

http://www.freewebs.com/rmrresin/

old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC
Thanks aaron, they've had it for alittle while now. I feel the need for that one as well as the 900 conventional they have...and that old 50's white coe cab.
 _GOTOTOP