Scale truck modeling topics.
78 Ford Ranger XLT / WIP
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 03:12 AM UTC
This kit is a build of my first ride that I have been working on for a while now . I started with the AMT Boonie Boss kit . It is a long wheel base , my 1/1 was a short base. I havent got my nerve up to cut the bed yet . I did open the drivers door to show off the inside . I used evergreen strips for the bodymolding between the red and white . I'm also going to add lights . I had started the paint and didnt quite get it right. So I striped it and now I'm getting it ready for another shot . While I was at basic training I had her re-pained and really fixd her up . Sadly I parted ways with her after having her for about 2 years. So the only refference I have is about 15 pics and some good memories .

The way she looked after paint .

turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:42 AM UTC
Well I made the cut , it wasn't too bad and everything lined back up nicely . I still have a little bit of body work on the right rear pannel . Hopefully tomorrow I'll be painting . Thanks again , Toad.

_VISITCOMMUNITY
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC
Very cool Carlton.
Snowhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Auto Modeler: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 10:49 PM UTC
It's going to look good. Carefull with those lights, as they may melt the plastic. I'd recommend using LED's rather than normal lightbulbs
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
This looks quite good. Love to see you taking a kit and making it your own.

The bed and cab don't look to be on a parallel line in the last photo. The trim line isn't level, is that just because its a test fit?

Lookin' really good otherwise.
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks guys , I'm really working on getting this one as close to " right " as possible .The last body shot is just a test fit the bed and cab arent glued yet . I am using grain of wheat blubs for the lights , it will have a dome light and brake lights as well . They dont get too hot and I only turn them on when taking pics . I shot the white today and I'll have to go back and touch up a few spots before doing the red .I might have to make a trip to the shop and get some paint . The red on the 1/1 was a home brew color , so it is hard to match up .I haven't seen the guy that did the paint in years . I'm working on the dome light and the pipes for now . Later on , Toad .
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC
Looks like it is coming along nicely. What technique did you use to make the trim strip along the wheel wells and lower body? I know that the kit doesn't have them, and need to replicate the same moulding on my AMT 1979 Bronco as my 1:1 scale '79 Bronco had the XLT package too.

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Dave (first post in 9 months, it's good to be back!)
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:26 AM UTC
"What technique did you use to make the trim strip along the wheel wells and lower body? "

I used Evergreen strip thats about 1mm wide . I start it at one end and I soften it up at the turns with a bit of glue The trim strip around the wheel wells is there on my kit . I would say the best and riskiest way to add it would be to scribe it with a X-acto . I picked up a rattle can of Atum Maple Metalic for the red paint . I'll try and get that sprayed this weekend. Later , Toad .
Dixon66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,500 posts
Auto Modeler: 645 posts
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the technique info. Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC
I laid down the first fresh coat of white this past week end . I still have a few spots to touchup . I had a bit of a near miss disaster . My @#%$ !!!!! cat knocked off the front grill , the tail gate and the inside of the front door some time this week . I found them in the garbage can . Maybe I can get the red painted sometime next week , later Toad.
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 14, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC
I laid down the first fresh coat of white this past week end . I still have a few spots to touchup . I had a bit of a near miss disaster . My @#%$ !!!!! cat knocked off the front grill , the tail gate and the inside of the front door some time this week . I found them in the garbage can . Maybe I can get the red painted sometime next week , later Toad.
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC
I shot the white yesterday ,it's a little thick in some spots . I can live with it , its on to the red now . I added some detail paint to the inside , I have a light wired for the dome light as well . I also got the lights put in the grill and added the light covers . The 1/1 truck had purple dots in the brake lights , so I ran a small blub for those also . She is starting to come together , thanks for looking Toad .

bsoder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Auto Modeler: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 06:25 AM UTC
Quite a project going there!..I get a kick out of seeing folks replicate a vehicle they've owned or been familiar with
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
I air brushed the red yesterday with Duplicolor Autumn Maple Metalic . I pop a hole in the top of the can and pour it into a spare bottle . I just dont have a lot of luck with a rattle can . I messed up a couple of spots , so doom on me . I'll see what I can mess up toady , later on Toad.

another 1/1 pic of her
turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 02:01 AM UTC
The rims got here and I dry fitted them to see how they looked . To me the tires are too thin and the rim diameter is a bit big . If I can hunt up a set of fatter tires it might look better . Then again I might just go back with the solid rims. I took a few pics of the routing of the wires and the cut out in the base for the 9 volt battery for the lights . The next hurdle for this build will be scratching the louvers on the back window . More later , Toad .

turrettoad13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Well I think I have a way to fix the rim problem . I can make a mold of the solid chrome rim and go with resin tires / rims from there . Or I have a set of NASCAR tires that might fit the big rims with a bit of work . I'm picking at the louvers , just getting the look right . For the mirror frames I'm bending a couple of left over PE frets . More to follow , Toad .
 _GOTOTOP