_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
1/25 Revell Chevy Bel Air
Fritz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 01:57 AM UTC
Here are photos of my recently finished build. I would've entered this into the pimp a ride campaign but I was already working on it when the campaign started.

I did the following modifications:
- Used AM Fujimi gold wire rims
- Replaced the front grille with wire mesh. I also cut out the front of the hood to expand the front grille.
- Removed all the mouldings on the side
- Added the chevron insignia on the hood
- Scratchbuilt wipers
- Scratchbuilt side view mirrors
- Scratchbuilt rear view mirror
- Scratchbuilt front and rear windshields with the plastic packaging on action figures
- Tons and tons of putty, glue, styrene, patience, swearing and cursing, just to fix molding problems.

I painted the basecoat using Tamiya TS-8 Italian Red. The flames were made using handmade stencil (Masking tape) and sprayed on via airbrush with Tamiya acrylic X-8 Lemon Yellow. The blue outline was handpainted using Humbrol Azure blue as well as the ornamental pinstripe on the rear. Clear coat, rubbing compound, hand glaze, and liquid wax for finishing. The interior was painted with acrylics and detail painted using enamels. Plate no. is made of paper PVA glued onto the frame (It's common practice here in the Philippines to just put a handwritten note in lieu of a lost serial plate). Absolutely NO decals were used.

In conclusion, A very good learning experience. I was fresh out of armor modelling when I made this. This kit is probably the worst kit I've worked on. Nothing fits (including both kit provided windshields) not to mention the body and chassis are slightly warped. I anticipated this however since 1) this is a Revell kit and 2) it was made in 1976!

Next in line are Tamiya's Mini Cooper and Fujimi's Shelby Cobra. After building this kit I feel like I can build those two without any difficulty. THAT is how bad this kit is! But I'm happy with the resuts and can't wait to build my next car.

I present to you my first car kit.

A comparison between the stock kit and the modified finished product:

The stock look:

The actual finished model:

Comments and criticisms are welcome!
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Auto Modeler: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 05:53 AM UTC
It's a beautifull hot-rod!
No decals, that's just a hell of a paintjob you did!
First car kit ever? WOW!
So, no criticism, just admiration over here!!!!

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 06:13 AM UTC
Nice work you have done a good job on old dog of a kit, give some of those new revell kits a try the parts fit is very good on most of them.
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 07:52 PM UTC
Cool car Karl. Very well executed.

As Robert sayes, you should try some of the new Revell kit's. Never had any problems, with them.
Fritz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Auto Modeler: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. Makes it feel more worth all the effort I put into building this kit.

Quoted Text

Nice work you have done a good job on old dog of a kit, give some of those new revell kits a try the parts fit is very good on most of them.

Quoted Text

Cool car Karl. Very well executed.

As Robert sayes, you should try some of the new Revell kit's. Never had any problems, with them.

So I've heard. I was actually thinking of buying their recently released Shelby Cobra (this kit) because a friend of mine bought one himself and my first impression was it was a well made kit. However, during the trip to Hong Kong a few months ago I came across the Fujimi version which was being sold at a bargain price of HK$ 143 (USD 18). I naturally bought it (Who won't at that price?)
bsoder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 142 posts
Auto Modeler: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:32 AM UTC
Now that get's your attn..!..Great looking car
 _GOTOTOP