For NASCAR car kits.
Dale Sr. and Sterling
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Auto Modeler: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:39 AM UTC
I forgot I had built these a few months ago. Noticed them as I was looking over my display cases....duh.. Sterllings car was a 10 day challenge between a buddy of mine and I. He stomped me, but we had fun with it. Totally OOB. With Dale Sr.'s Lumina I decided to add more goodies to it. I've never tried to detail one of these things before so I was flying blind on a lot of it. I spent a lot of time looking at builds by Clay Kemp (He does simply amazing work!) and used pics of his to determine where a lot of the plumbing should go. I guessed on a fair amount of it too Anyway, I'm happy with the end results. Still need to work on my gloss finishes. That is an artform in and of itself! Thanks for looking. "Q"

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:17 PM UTC
The cars look great Matt, never was a fan of the man in black but your work on Dale's car looks good, nice work on the detail. Now the "Silver Bullet" sweeeeeet machine. During it's time it was one of the nicest cars out on the track. Again great job.

Joe

Quoted Text

Still need to work on my gloss finishes

NASCAR cars really didn’t have that show room gloss finish, spicily the decals. You could gloss the car and then apply the decals for a more realistic looking ride. Have you tried using Future Floor Wax, no need to thin, just shoot it straight from airbrush and what’s nice is that the floor wax levels itself out. You can also paint on the floor wax with a soft brush.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 05:34 PM UTC
Joe, thanks for the kudos. THese are the only tow NASCAR subjects I have ever built so I have a lot to learn I'm sure. I use Future in most of my builds, but for these, I used Tamiyas gloss black and gloss aluminum right out of the rattle can, let degas for a few days, polished etc. decals, then overcoated with Tamiya clear gloss followed up with some model car wax. Painstaking process to say the least. I just need to find that happy medium that works for the way I build. With the amount of NASCAR subjects I have lining the shelves currently, I figure I'll figure it out someday.. Thanks again for the kudos and suggestions. "Q"
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
Two great looking models Matthew. Like Joe my favorit is the silver bullet. A real beauty.

bsoder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 142 posts
Auto Modeler: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 04:53 AM UTC
Looks like you have a future in NASCAR great looking pair of cup cars
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 12:19 PM UTC
They both look good to me Matthew, i really like the heat resistant panel on the floor of the black car what did you use for it.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They both look good to me Matthew, i really like the heat resistant panel on the floor of the black car what did you use for it.

Robert, for the heat shielding I used some aluminum from a turkey roasting pan. I had tried using some aluminum foil, but it was too thin and wouldn't hold its shape. The one from the roasting pan worked great. I cut off about a 4"x4" piece and burnished it over some fine mesh screen until the pattern embossed itself and then set it aside. Using a piece af masking tape, I laid it over the area I wanted covered and made a pattern and then cut this out and transfered it to the metal and cut it to shape. It was attached using Elmers white glue and left to dry. Thanks again for the kudos. "Q"
 _GOTOTOP