_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Display Bases / Dioramas
rwaldram
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 44 posts
Auto Modeler: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2008 - 08:23 PM UTC
I'm currently making a customised 1:24 scale 1988 Nissan Pathfinder for a friend and I'm wondering if anyone has any (good) suggestions on how to make a nice display base. I want to put this Nissan Pathfinder onto a base when i'm finished it but dont just want a plain bit of wood.

Originally i was thinking of making a diorama depicting a 'bush track' with the 4Runner (a side project) bogged and the Pathy winching it out, then i thought about just making the pathy bogged with the winch hooked upto a tree. Now i've backed down from both of these and have been thinking i might just make a failry simple display base with some simulated rocks around it and a bit of a gravel road.

If i was going to be keeping it myself (for display/show/comp's etc) then i'd probably go the extra mile and make a diorama with one or both of the 4x4's, but as it's a gift i've decided to just keep it simple.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 26, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
Check out the features section on ModelGeek and over on Armorama. There are tons of features and tips about bases and rocks and water and trees etc.

One thing that really adds visual interest and drama is elevation and angle. Add an inch or two of packing foam/styrofoam to a wooden base and build up there. To make a hill side type just add some extra elevation to one corner.

Use DIY Store spackle as a base covering for ground.
 _GOTOTOP