_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
Wolseley car in Singapore, 1942
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Auto Modeler: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:41 AM UTC
Hi all,

Recently, I came across this picture in a book ‘Singapore Burning’ showing a group of soldiers pushing a car off the docks at Keppel Harbour. I am trying to identify the type of car shown in this photo, can anyone help out.

My great-grandad, Robert Guy Young was a rubber planter in Malaya before WW2, and had a family living with him. Because of his service in WW1, he was recalled to the RAF when the Japanese invaded Malaya. He survived the retreat and made his way to Singapore in his expensive Wolseley car. When he reached the docks at Keppel Harbour, he was told he would have to abandon his car, so it was promptly pushed into the water. Robert boarded a ship, only to have it sunk beneath his feet, but he survived and was held POW for the remainder of the war.

Here is a picture of my great grandad's Wolseley car. Do you think it is the same one as the one in the previous picture?

Regardless of whether or not this is actually my great-grandad's car, I'm going to build a diorama of this scene. Does anyone know if there is a 1/35 or 1/32 scale Wolseley on the market?

Chas

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 07:16 PM UTC
hi Chas

To me it looks very much like a Citroen 11C. The extended length model with three rows of seats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_Traction_Avant
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi Jesper,

Yes, the Citroen does look a close match. I have sent off for a better picture from the IWM which will hopefully help identify the model car being pushed off the wharf. Isn't it a shame the picture doesn't show the front of the car, then we could see the emblems etc.

Thanks for your observation,

Chas
youngc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:53 AM UTC
Can anyone give me some suggestions for good 1/32 or 1/35 civilian vehicles that would be suitable to convert into a Wolseley?

Chas
 _GOTOTOP