_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
AutoModeler.com
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:18 PM UTC
I wanted to throw this out there to all the current car modelers who may visit the site. I know there are already some auto builder sites out there, but what would you think of a dedicated site for autos? I have owned www.automodeler.com for a while now and I am curious what you all think. The main issue for me is that I would need people to work on and help build the site. Not always an easy task. But with our existing traffic and "lurkers" I am hopeful that something would take form over time.

If anyone is curious what the plans are for ModelGeek, I am thinking of making this site focused more on Sci-Fi and fantasy subjects and moving the "general modeling" stuff to a more centralized home on the KitMaker site itself.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers,
Jim
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:52 AM UTC
Jim,

I noticed that www.automodeler.com directs one back to ModelGeek's homepage...would this dedicated auto site be a part of Kitmaker? Would there be a tab for the auto site at the top much like Aeroscale, Armorama, et cetera? Or, would the auto site be totally separate?

Personally, I think something dedicated to auto related modeling would be fine, if it's "connected" to the other sites.

I don't build much in the way of autos at the moment, but would be willing to offer you some assistance in this.

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
Sounds like an interesting idea.
I have a CD or two filled with custom cars from the last LeadSled east I went to that need a home.
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 04:48 AM UTC
I'll check it out. I do not have any new ideas for or against.
It will be another bookmark in my toolbar.

Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:13 PM UTC

Personally, I think a separate automotive site would be a good thing, especially if it was kept "in the family" of KitMaker Network sites. Frankly, I didn't know that ModelGeek contained automotive models at first, until I happened to check it out one day on a lark. It would be pretty cool to add an "AutoModeler" tab up on top of the page to help car modelers find what they're looking for...

On the other hand, will there be enough web traffic, submissions and/or articles to keep such a site viable?

-YL
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the feedback guys. This would definitely be a 'top-level' site in the KitMaker Network and would be included with the other primary sites. Content would be a challenge (as it is already with ModelGeek) but I think specialization sometimes yields better results (over time) than trying to have a site 'be-all-things' to everyone.

From talking to someone recently at the Kickoff Classic show, the biggest forums for car builders seem to be on Automotive Forums (.com) which is a huge car site. The section for modeling is just a small fraction of the site of course and they have no facility for doing content other than forum posts. I think there is always an advantage in having user submitted and volunteer controlled online publications vs. just a plain forum. Someday the majority of the modeling world may catch up to my beliefs.

Cheers,
Jim
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Auto Modeler: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:11 PM UTC
I think most of us have built a car or bike at some point in our modelling life - if we haven't we will.

Car modelling is probably the biggest modelling genre in SA - although most won't care to admit it. I imagine similar scenarios exist in most countries. And so it is obvious, to me at least , that since KitMaker already has the "Big 4" of military modelling (admittedly we haven't conquered these genres, but we have a presence), that KitMaker's next big move be that into the civilian realm of automotive modelling.

Rudi
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
I think it is a great idea.
c5flies
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Auto Modeler: 294 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 12:23 PM UTC
I also think a dedicated site for autos would be good thing and traffic should increase if it's easier to navigate to.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:10 AM UTC
What about trucks{pickup} or semis{tractor/trailer}?
I started out, as a kid, building everything that looked neat { to me at least} and I haven't changed since picking up the hobby {read - obcession} again...I have mostly armour, but I have a few cars {lead sleds and muscle cars} to do, some ships, some aircraft, and even some scifi...been building some semis lately {see keep on truckin campaign}.
...variety is the spice of life - I say.......Bob
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:28 PM UTC
Good point. Trucks and tractors and other construction/demolition plant vehicles. This may popularize more kitmashing and scratchbuilding these types of vehicles as well.

Quoted Text

by c5flies
I also think a dedicated site for autos would be good thing and traffic should increase if it's easier to navigate to.

Haha - good one. . . autos would be good thing and traffic should increase . . .

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
Hey Jim.
It IS a good idea. Keeping in mind that there IS another auto modeling site in ScaleAuto (dot) com, I feel that they just don't have the awesome personality that we here at KitMaker hold. I would support it (AutoModeler), myself, with content and rich posting habits.

Do it. That's my vote.

Cuhail
 _GOTOTOP