Scale truck modeling topics.
Italeri to Reissue the Peterbilt 378
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 06:35 AM UTC
Edison NJ - Model Rectifier Corp, the importer of Italeri model kits will be importing a limited run of Italeri kit #746 Peterbilt 378 kits this summer.

The kit will have some subtle changes, included a freshened box art minus the green dragons, corrected text on box side (doesn't say that Peterbilt is based in Washington state), new decal sheet with chassis labels and a company name for the door. The kit will be molded in white instead of blue.

Stevens International is the distributor. Be sure to let your hobby shop know you want yours! MRC is very interested in Italeri and Revell of Germany reissues and is testing the waters with the 378 kit.

According to Tim Ahlborn, "The kit represents a 1995 378. If you put a different engine under the hood, it could be a 2004. If you put a modern (pre '07) engine under the hood, change the mirrors , door windows and door release handles, you could have up to a '07. The last 378 was
built in early '07."

Figured you'd like to know!

Jim
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Auto Modeler: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 06:19 PM UTC
What are those iterali kits like as far as putting them together? I have never built one and since they are molding it in white plastic i might be more interested.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC
I have not built one personally, but I do hear that thay are a hack of a lot better than the AMT kits. The tricky part is the multi-pieced cabs. You might want to check out:

http://pete389.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=kn&action=display&thread=1733

for additional info on the kit.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
Hey, who's the new guy?{hahaha}..yeah, those cabs are multi piece{front/back/sides/top} but so long as you assemble them all square/correctly your ok. The revell kits are copies of the italeri ones...I've done the Daf and the Scania R500. I have quite a few more in the way of US trucks...just haven't built those yet.
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:15 AM UTC
Yes i am a new guy here and came to check this out. Old dragon was telling me about it. jim
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:41 PM UTC
Can someone help me with some advice? I am looking into a project where you take a AMT lowboy and change it from 3 axles to 2 axles with smaller duals. The article said to use the duals from the monogram F-350 duallie put that kit does not use metal axles to attach the duals. Also the article said to use the duals from 1/32 scale truck kits but i can't find any copies of instruction sheets and all 1/32 trucks are snap kits too. Any suuggestions on another solution?
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
Not having metal axles is easy...just buy some rod stock{plastic/brass/steel} in the needed OD and your set....just cut to length. Drill the diffs if they don't have holes for metal axles.
As for the smaller sized wheels, while you can use 1/32 wheels, I'd steer you to afew web sites where they sell resin wheels{low profile type} and use those.
What size are they asking you to use in that article?
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 05:19 PM UTC
thet don't specify what size. I have seen the ones on saurktrauts website and sent him 2 pm's about his but get no replies. If you know of any other places then let me know. What would be a good size in the low profile tires? jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 02:56 AM UTC
Does that article have any pics of said wheels that we can reference to for size?
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC
no it doesnt have any pics for the smaller wheels and tires. jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The article said to use the duals from the monogram F-350 duallie put that kit does not use metal axles to attach the duals.

Those are "one ton" wheels...I got a modelhaus 66' chevy 2 ton cab conversion{neat kit} and it came with the rims and tires{skinny things, but I'm sure they are correct for the period}...see "modelhaus.com" under 1, 1 1/2 or two ton rims/tires.{parts section I'd venture to guess}...plaskit has 50's vintage 1-2 ton wheels for both dual axle and singe axle and SourK should carry those thru his store.{I like the bubblenose pete coe kit...just not the price{hahaha}....
 _GOTOTOP