_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Corvette colour?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Auto Modeler: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi there

A little while ago I managed to find Accurate Miniatures' 1/24 1963 Corvette Grand Sport for sale at less than 1/2 price, so I snapped one up thinking it would make a great project as something really "different" for a propeller-head like me! Of course, with no car references, I've managed to get stuck even at the planning stage! LOL! What colour should it be painted? I've seen pics of finished models on the internet ranging from metallic "ice blue" (i.e. very pale and un-saturated), through to vivid metallic medium blue. Presumably, they can't both be correct - or can they? Can anyone suggest a suitable model paint?

Thanks in advance and all the best

Rowan
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hey Rowan,
Great buy…as for the color well according to my Chevy encyclopedia of cars the blues you are looking for are Silver Blue Metallic and Daytona Blue. You can try your local auto store and see if you can get a bottle of touch up paint in those colors. They will be thick so you’ll need to thin them. You can also see if you can get a paint chip and try to match up a color from you hobby shop.

Be sure to post some pics please…

Joe
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 09:53 AM UTC
Cheers Joe

I've just had a look at the instructions again and it's no wonder I'm confused - they say the cars were painted "Cadillac Blue", but recommend ModelMaster enamel 2728 "Pontiac Engine Blue" (with no suggestions for a colour from any other model paint ranges). Even that's not much help, because ModelMaster paints aren't available in the UK. To make matter worse, the picture of the model on the bottom of the box looks nothing like the colour of the boxtop artwork!

Doing a web-search for Daytona Blue brings up lots of pics of a rich metallic mid blue, so I'll see if I can find anything like it this side of The Pond.

As I haven't built a car model since I was a kid, my efforts might well give everyone something to laugh at! I'll post some pics at some point if I pluck up sufficient courage...

Thanks again - all the best

Rowan

EDIT: I see Plasti-Kote do a Metallic Blue that's available here, so I'll check that out to see if it's in the ballpark...
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Auto Modeler: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 01:26 PM UTC
Here are some pictures of one of these cars:

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 11:28 PM UTC
Many thanks Al!

That's a huge help - the colour looks more muted than some of the interpretations I've seen on models and I've found an aerosol of something that seems at least a reasonable match - Ford Gemini/Hawaiian Blue. I'll give that a go.

The engine shot has pre-empted my next question, because I'm hoping to add a bit of wiring and plumbing, because the kit is a bit empty in that department.

I have a few more reviews to write for Aeroscale and then I'm going to treat myself to some modelling time, so the Corvette will make a great way to try to remind myself how to actually build a kit!

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP