_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Forum Reorganization for AutoModeler
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Auto Modeler: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 05:09 PM UTC
I am looking for feedback from members on reorganizing our forums for this new site. Here is what I had in mind. You tell me what you would like to see.

Cars
-Classic
- Custom
- Formula1
- NASCAR
- Dragsters
Trucks
- Monster
- Classic
- Custom
Motorcycles
Paint & Finish - tips, techniques, etc

Thanks!
Jim
KoSprueOne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Auto Modeler: 851 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 05:36 PM UTC
I'd like to see,
under cars also,
- movie
- commercial

under trucks,
- utility
- plant, maintenance, construction
- commercial

a good idea anyway, I'd like to see any start.

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Auto Modeler: 408 posts
Posted: Monday, June 09, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
How about a "Working" and a "Pickup" catagories for trucks
How about a "customization" and "Decals" cat. under the Finish area I feel strongest about decals, they are huge on autos and I think it would be a good category.
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:02 AM UTC
Hey Jim,

You may want to consider adding "Funny Cars" in there with or under dragsters. I for one would be immensely happy to see the "Finish" area - especially paint techniques (from shooting to polishing) and decaling.

Mike
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
I agree that a "Commercial" category under Trucks would be good, since that would cover any working trucks, as well as emergency vehicles (ambulances, fire trucks). Or it could be broken down into "Heavy Commercial" and "Light Commercial" to differentiate between big rigs and small.

Perhaps you could turn the NASCAR category under Cars into a "NASCAR/Circle Track" category, as a place for the other roundy-rounders.

Maybe a section under Cars for "Hot Rods" ('pre-48)? Or, instead of "Classic" and "Custom" categories, maybe it could be broken down into "Hot Rods", "Customs" and "Muscle Cars"? In that scenario, "Customs" becomes sort of the catchall category if you're not building a rod or muscle car. Maybe an additional category for "Japanese/European" would be in order?

Of course, a "Commercial" category under Cars would be nice, too, for police cars, taxis and the like.

Just my two copper Lincolns.

-YL
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Auto Modeler: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:43 AM UTC
Jim, just seen the new site, congratulations on the birth of a new one, it looks great! Unfortunately it does not seem practical to list Formula 1, NASCAR and Dragsters separately in forums. I really enjoy building each of these types, but there are too many race specialities (Rally, Le Mans etc) to list separately, so grouping them together under a single heading (Race or a better name) seems more feasible.

My suggestion would be:

Cars
- Commercial/Production
- Classic
- Custom
- Race
- Sport

Trucks
- Commercial/Production
- Classic
- Custom
- Race
- Utility/Sport

Motorcycles
- Commercial/Production
- Classic
- Custom
- Race
- Sport

Paint & Finish - tips, techniques, etc
Accessories
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
Eric,
Keep in mind that when a user clicks the main "Car" forum he will still see all the sub-group topics in that area. Unless they have de-selected some that is.

But I agree that too much division of topics at this point would probably be counter-productive.

Great ideas everyone, keep them coming. I will look at this again tonight.

Cheers,
Jim
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 12:34 PM UTC

I agree that too many sub-categories may make things more complicated than they need to be for the moment, so maybe it is best to keep things simple, as in Eric's example. But as the site grows, there may be a need to expand the "basic" sub-categories into things more specific.

For now, we can make the sub-categories fit our models: a '32 Ford highboy roadster or stock ''71 Duster could be slotted neatly into the "Classic" category. A Hirohata Merc or a '69 Camaro with a new Corvette engine in it could go under "Custom", and a tricked out Mazda Miata weekend track car could be tucked under "Sport", etc., etc..

And as much as I love motorcycles and motorcycle models, I don't think there's a need for sub-categories there. Maybe the one main category for Motorcycles would be enough?

-YL
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 02:12 AM UTC
How about a sub forum for automodel talk in general. Roumers of upcoming models, first impressions of new kits, die-cast models, newly acquired kits you just have to share, etc.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a sub forum for automodel talk in general. Roumers of upcoming models, first impressions of new kits, die-cast models, newly acquired kits you just have to share, etc.

Good idea. Perhaps we can call it "The Garage"?

Hopefully that would translate well internationally.

Jim
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps we can call it "The Garage"?

I was thinking "Pitstop" or "The Paddock" but I like "The Garage" better

Quoted Text

Hopefully that would translate well internationally.

Exactly the same in Danish.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 11:49 AM UTC
How about a reference/build photos section? Anyone could post or ask about references for a project. The kitbashers or scratchers out there could really use this, but it could be asked in a new post too.
The one thing I'd love to see the most anywhere here is a defined "how to" on homemade decals...I've seen alot of generic how to's that don't list the programs that are used nor how to use said programs, just what paper was used. How many times has anyone ever wanted to make they're build different via custom decals only to not have them available. Now an "Alps" article isn't the hot set up{$$$}...but anyone with experience on an IBM or Mac based set up would help anyone here...my two cents for what it's worth...
 _GOTOTOP