Scale truck modeling topics.
Wow, no truck kit reviews
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC
I was just curious so I checked out the truck kit reviews and found nothing...somewhat surprising. Guess we'll need to do something about that...anyone got any kits they'd like to see reviewed...within reason{not dual drive FL coes or triple axle wreckers}.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Very good Bob for stepping up and volunteering to do a few.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 03:48 PM UTC
Dave, I guess someone has to......I've got resin cabs, Italeri kits{trucks}, AMT kits, and even the old IMC Dodge L-700{and the new hawk/lindburg version}. And though I've never done a review before, I guess it can't be too difficult......
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:23 PM UTC
I'm sure you'll do fine Bob.
If a senile old pinhead like myself can knock a few out,
those much higher on the IQ scale can certainly do it.

Hopefully a few more truck and auto modelers will step up to the plate and do a few on a continuous basis. The editors stand by to offer help and tips for budding reviewers.

Here's a good article with helpful tips for all budding reviewers.
Writing Reviews - Some Practical Tips
autopilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Auto Modeler: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 04:52 PM UTC
How about a trailer review of Revells heavy duty trailer? jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:44 AM UTC
Actually jim, I don't have that one...but it is on the list of things to aquire{and that's a big list}. I suppose I should make up a list of kits/resin that I do have...give me alittle bit here today and I'll get that done for here.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:58 AM UTC
Ok, here's the list of kits that I have to work with;
Amt-
pumper #6669
Ladder chief #pk-6121
custom pumper #t-513
gmc general #30060
gmc astro 95 #38164
ford louisville delivery #31941
ford snowplow #6635
us mail #t-549
ford c600 city delivery #t-548
diamond reo #8137
KW w-925 #t-519
autocar a-64-b #38665
pete 352coe #stevens int
white FL SD #stevens int
paystar 5000 rex mixer #
mack r model "red truck" #6129
mack r-685s #stevens int
mack cruiseliner #stevens int
mack dm-800 #modelking
mack dm-600 #modelking
junkyard dog #6653
...and a bulldozer
ITALERI-
gm opal blitz #773
scania r500 #3829
scania t143 #736
scania t142 #713
cool fruits #799
iveco turbostar II #3796
pete 377 #740
us truck w/bay watch #3832
far west trucking #709
ford 9000 #728
volvo fh-16 #3821
MB actros #3824
MB actros black #3841
MB road truck #729
black thunder #727
Man TGA w/container #3836
Daf xf #3834
Daf xf super cab #3834
REVELL-
MB 1628s #7409
Renault magnum #7532
scania 144 w/friedenfels #7537
snap pete
Ertl-
Transtar II #8017
Lindberg-
L700
L700 w/flatbed
IMC-
L700
...not bragging here guys!...there's folks out there with lots more than me!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 12:13 PM UTC
Here's some resin that's due for building;
RMR Dodge BigHorn cab

AIT H-67 mack coe cab
AIT mack MC cab
AIT mack MR cab
AIT mack B-61 cab{in the works as a wrecker}
AIT challenger mixer
AIT gmc long nose cab.....I like dave's stuff!

STS Pete 352 daycab

Plaskit Ford LTS 9000 hood
Plaskit Ford F600 cab

Modelhaus 66' chevy 2 ton cab and wheels

Backyard shed's aussie Ford CL9000 cab
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 03:35 PM UTC
Bob, I'm sure you won't get too many complaints reviewing any of the items on your two lists.
john111
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
hello, could you tell me about the Ford #6635 snow plow kit, I have pre-ordered one from Great Models. Ihave just gotten into modeling trucks and looking for some after - marklet parts for the truck kits I have. Thanks
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 01:35 AM UTC
John,

I am working on the Ford snowplow kit now. I am not going to build it as a plow truck, but as a tractor. The kit can be built as a plow truck, dump truck, or tractor; and it builds out into a early 1970s LNT8000. The only tricky parts I've found so far are the hood/cab fit (tends to be a lillty finicky), and the mirrors (they're a pain). The engine is a Caterpillar 3208 which should be blue in a 1970s truck. Plaskit does offer several hood conversions for this kit (updated grill, L/LT hood, & LTS hood). The grill is good for 1980s & 1990s trucks. You'll have to do some research, though. The 3208 is not appropriate for all of the L-Series versions & years. Popular engines for the L/LT & LTS are the L-10 Cummins, N-14 Cummins, & 3406 Caterpillar. The L-10 should be Cummins Beige, the N-14 - black, Caterpillar 3406 - yellow, Caterpillar 3208 (1980s & 1990s) - yellow. Ford made their own diesel, and was very popular, but there are no resin kits available so you'll have to scratch build it yourself.

You mentioned aftermarket items for trucks. Well, there are several: Plaskit Resin (no Web site, but if you email Daniel Gailloux at [email protected] he'll email you a catalog), Sourkraut's Model Trucks ( http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/ ), Spaulding Tradinng & Shipping ( http://www.stsmodeltrucks.com/ ), and Kit Form Services ( http://www.kitformservices.com/index.html ). Chris from Sourkraut offers Auslowe products here in the US, but doesn't have the complete catalog listed on his site; but Howard at KFS does. If you see something from Auslowe on KFS that you want, email Chris. He should be able to get it for you.

Good luck, and welcome to truck modeling!

Jim
john111
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC
Jim,
Thank you very much for the information and tips for the Ford plow truck, and thank you very much for the help on aftermarket parts for my other kits. I ve been hanging around construction sites and truck dealerships getting information on trucks to help on my new found hobby subject. Ive been doing armor for years and decided to try something new. Again thanks for the help. John
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 10:07 AM UTC
John,

No problem. Glad to help.

This site: http://public.fotki.com/modeltrucks25thscale/ has a wealth of information on it for reference. If it isn't here, you're probably not going to find it.

And how could I have forgotten American Industrial Truck Models ( http://www.aitruckmodels.com/ ) for aftermarket parts!

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 03:59 PM UTC
Yeah....... what he said.

Quoted Text

John,

I am working on the Ford snowplow kit now. I am not going to build it as a plow truck, but as a tractor. The kit can be built as a plow truck, dump truck, or tractor; and it builds out into a early 1970s LNT8000. The only tricky parts I've found so far are the hood/cab fit (tends to be a lillty finicky), and the mirrors (they're a pain). The engine is a Caterpillar 3208 which should be blue in a 1970s truck. Plaskit does offer several hood conversions for this kit (updated grill, L/LT hood, & LTS hood). The grill is good for 1980s & 1990s trucks. You'll have to do some research, though. The 3208 is not appropriate for all of the L-Series versions & years. Popular engines for the L/LT & LTS are the L-10 Cummins, N-14 Cummins, & 3406 Caterpillar. The L-10 should be Cummins Beige, the N-14 - black, Caterpillar 3406 - yellow, Caterpillar 3208 (1980s & 1990s) - yellow. Ford made their own diesel, and was very popular, but there are no resin kits available so you'll have to scratch build it yourself.

You mentioned aftermarket items for trucks. Well, there are several: Plaskit Resin (no Web site, but if you email Daniel Gailloux at [email protected] he'll email you a catalog), Sourkraut's Model Trucks ( http://sourkrautsmodeltrucks.com/ ), Spaulding Tradinng & Shipping ( http://www.stsmodeltrucks.com/ ), and Kit Form Services ( http://www.kitformservices.com/index.html ). Chris from Sourkraut offers Auslowe products here in the US, but doesn't have the complete catalog listed on his site; but Howard at KFS does. If you see something from Auslowe on KFS that you want, email Chris. He should be able to get it for you.

Jim

jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 - 01:16 AM UTC
Just tryin' to help, Bob.

For your reviews, I think the Revell USA Snap Peterbilt 359 might be a good starting point. People might shy away from it because it's a snap kit, but it's a great kit. Relatively accurate, well detailed, inexpensive, and lots of potential. The tires aren't great, but one can work around that.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hmmm...good point...gotta get your feet wet on something. She does build into a good lil truck{yours} or can be hacked into a nice lil needlenose pete ,and, they're cheap. I wanna do a lowrider with one - really!
"Tires"...yeah, true, but so long as you glue them well to the rims{and align them better} they turn out ok...cept for last months truck model mag where someone built it with the wheel bead "in" the rim and not "on" it....I wanted to write in sooooooooo badly and state that, but nah, why suck the wind out of the man's sails since he did such a nice job on the rest of it...those wheels are the bad part of the kit. Dave Natale is supposed to have some resin hiway tread/ 5 hole alcoas coming up soon on his site...guess what my needlenose pete will eventually be wearing?!

I'll wait for afew more replies/suggestions......besides, I'm still working on the wrecker and the stakebed.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John,

Jim

I really wish KFS would get a secure pay section on his site or at least a paypal account set up for his stuff...I won't send credit card info thru an email nor call here from the states and hope to find him there when/if I did and all that's left is to send a snail mail with my card #'s on it to him...he may be "next millenium" with his resin goodies, but he's "stone age" as far as taking payments on a major website is concerned..otherwise he'd have had my business already. The sad exchange rate we have doesn't help much either, but I could somewhat deal with that...now...to get plas to take some pictures!
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
Holy crapolies Bob, that's quite the list!

Sounds like you and Jim are going to step up to the plate! Nice. I'm mostly an armor builder, but shifting allegiances every now and then makes for some "excitement." Really, I'm looking forward to a review. I've never built a truck before, but I'm very interested in doing so....learned a lot on my Deora. Personally, a review of a readily available kit, that builds nice OOB, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be kool...something for someone like me to do as a "first."

Mike
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 04:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Holy crapolies Bob, that's quite the list!

Sounds like you and Jim are going to step up to the plate! Nice. I'm mostly an armor builder, but shifting allegiances every now and then makes for some "excitement." Really, I'm looking forward to a review. I've never built a truck before, but I'm very interested in doing so....learned a lot on my Deora. Personally, a review of a readily available kit, that builds nice OOB, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be kool...something for someone like me to do as a "first."

Mike

...yeah, the trucks and the armor{have even more of those} kinda snowballed on me...awh, just one more of those and maybe grab that one and....dang, where'd all these models come from?! My hobby was collecting the ones I liked{none of them are really for sale}, but I will build alot of them thru the course of time...and alot of shelving!

..."shifting allegiances"...with my armor collection the germans would've easily won the war!

"A good 1st truck kit"....I'd give you 2 1/2 choices;
1) the revell snap pete - OOB she's a good kit with nice detail.......and can be modded to be better....don't pay more than $17 for one!{hobby lobby's 40% off coupon will get ya one even cheaper} See my pete needlenose...it's that truck modified...alot.
2){old school} the lindberg Dodge L700 truck...once again, fine OOB and/or can be modded to a stakebed, straight van, straight tanker.....costs around $16.
2 1/2) combo kit L700 with the flatbed trailer{and ya get a 40 ford as a load ta boot}...ups the price stakes to $40 but that's 3 models{truck/trailer/car} for what ya pay....not bad.
My 2 cents, for what it's worth....
 _GOTOTOP