_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
C3+1 Cargo Carrying Cars Campaign idea
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Auto Modeler: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hey all...fresh off the "Pimp a Ride" Campaign, I've got a "thought." I would like to propose a possible C3 Campaign (no, not Communication, Command, and Control )..... Cargo Carrying Cars.

This build would be devoted to the "cars, trucks, and vans" that help us "little peeps" move our stuff about. I'm talkin' station wagons, vans, pickup trucks, panel vans, and hybrids (Ranchero's, Camino's, Vanagons).

No stake trucks, long hauler's, 18-wheeler's, and the like. The regular ole car or truck you or I would go down to the local dealership to buy. Some ideas (I have no idea if there is a kit of them or not): Ford Ranchero, Chevy El Camino, Taurus station wagon, F150 Econoline, Dodge Ram pickup (yeah, it's got a HEMI!), Chevy Silverado, one of those "fugly" Scion boxes, that little Nissan they took the bed's box off and added a flat bed (like the VW's we've all seen),

Basically, if it was "designed and sold" as a personal vehicle, not "commercial," then it would be game.

So, the specifics:

Scale: Anything, any scale...as long as it's "build" falls within the (to be set "official") time line.
Medium: Plastic, resin, metal, OOB, scratch, or any combination thereof.
Era: From Henry Ford's beginnings to today.

Thoughts? Additions or deletions? Anyone else game for this? Oh, I'm thinking a 6 to 8 month build, with a start date much later this year going into next year.

Respectfully, for your consideration.

Mike
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 04:42 PM UTC
Cool...got a jimmy flintstone A-100 dodge van that's screaming to be a "gotham city" black van as was occasionaly shown on the 60's TV show{got as much play as cat girl's cycle}. Time to do some research.......
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 02:18 PM UTC
Sounds like a great idea. There are plenty of kits that are currently available that would fit the bill, too.

Are we talking stock or mostly stock builds? Or is the sky the limit insofar as modifications are concerned?

-YL
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 02:40 PM UTC
Bob, I would just, bar none, LOVE to see a Jimmy Flint built!

Quoted Text

Are we talking stock or mostly stock builds? Or is the sky the limit insofar as modifications are concerned?

Yoni, I'd almost go so far as to say heavily modified would be fine. Would you care to further define that? A pickup truck that had it's bed removed and replaced by a flat deck is fine...and that's a good sized mod. A Chevy/Ford van that's been put on a 4X4 suspension set up is a big mod...likewise a Vega that the same was done to...seen all those out on the street.

Heheheh, Matt L just sent me a picture of what appears to be Dodge Caravan/Plymouth Voyager with it's front end removed and a trailer frame installed in place of the front....now that's a huge mod. That would work too.

If this goes through with enough interest, I plan on a modified Ford Ranchero. Initial thoughts were to do something "exciting" with the paint, some "interesting" decaling, a custom back cover (and, just for Jesper, a sound system in the bed! ), but.....now rethinking....maybe do the afore mentioned and the same as that Vega I saw....build the suspension up as a 4X4. I will replace the rims/tires from the kit with AM stuff and maybe get one of the AM engines and incorporate that too.

Anyhow....what are the thoughts for mods?

Oh, build timeframe: November 1st to June/July 1st??

Mike
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 03:52 PM UTC
[quote]Bob, I would just, bar none, LOVE to see a Jimmy Flint built![quote]

Ok, I'm in...one jimmy flintstone A-100 resin van ...{I've got his riviara, divco and the jade grenade too, but those will be another campaign...}

{and thanks, may take you up on that}
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2008 - 06:51 PM UTC
I was thinking much the same thing with regards to the mods - something that makes the hauler more of a hauler, the dual-purpose rig more dual-purpose, the utility vehicle more utilitarian. I was not thinking that a slammed and shaved El Camino with a blower sticking through the hood would fit the spirit of the build.

Sure, that's haulin', but of a different kind.

Some simple project ideas, just off the top of my head: an AMT ('68) or Revell ('66) El Camino built as a well-worn beater. AMT's (initially MPC's) full-size '75 Blazer or '81 Bronco as a hunting, fishing or camping rig. Revell's '66 Chevelle wagon or AMT's '55 Nomad as a nearly stock family hauler. Any one of the numerous AMT/Revell/Monogram pickups of any vintage, in Chevy/Ford/Dodge flavors, with some scale furniture in the back, or pulling a homebuilt trailer.

I really like your idea for the 4x4 Ranchero. I also think a 4x4 van would be pretty cool too, if you could dig up a proper kit.

-YL
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 02:27 AM UTC
Sounds good Bob. Resin too? That I'll be looking forward to.

Yoni, I'm in agreement.....mod's? Yep. Supercharging? Prob'ly not.

I have to go to the LHS today....I'll look to see what they have in 1/25th for a 4X4 kit that the chassis and drivetrain could be converted for the AMC Ranchero. Could be very interesting.

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 07:03 AM UTC
Would a dirty water dog car fit in?
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC
Okay Dave, I hesitate to ask, knowing some of your past responses... ....

But, what is a "dirty water dog car?"

Mike
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 09:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay Dave, I hesitate to ask, knowing some of your past responses... ....

But, what is a "dirty water dog car?"

Mike

Well this is your classic dirty water dog vendor cart:

and it could easily be married to one of these:

or one of these:

or one of these:

or on the back of one of these:

or the side of one of these:

or this.... :

TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 11:05 AM UTC
ROTFLMAO!

"Dirty water" made me think of many a year ago, during a time that was not "my" time, but the time of my elder brothers. Touche!

However, only a vehicle like the one in the fouth picture might work. All the others are decidedly "commercial." I do like the second to last one though....mmmmmm....foooood. I wouldn't dare ask what he's grilling tho!

Mike
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 05:49 PM UTC
Mike,

Perhaps the 4x4 suspension, wheels and tires from AMT's '84 GMC pickup might work for your Ranchero build? It's got solid axles and leaf springs front and rear, so it could probably modified to fit the Ranchero chassis with a little creative cutting and fitting.

Just a thought.

-YL
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds good Bob. Resin too? That I'll be looking forward to.

Yoni, I'm in agreement.....mod's? Yep. Supercharging? Prob'ly not.

I have to go to the LHS today....I'll look to see what they have in 1/25th for a 4X4 kit that the chassis and drivetrain could be converted for the AMC Ranchero. Could be very interesting.

Mike

Just use a comparable 4x4 chassis...the ranchero would be between the f-150 4x4 or the bronco 4x4. One chassis would have to be shortened while the other might have to be lengthened alittle. Find the cheaper one and see if the drive components fit easily on the ranchero chassis and use that frame.
My buddy dannny made a real 76' T-bird 4x4 and as I recall he used a f-150 4x4 chassis as the base.{chipper had the lincoln version...they both liked they're fords}
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC
Yoni, Bob,

After a perusal of the LHS' shelves, all I found 4X4 related were "Monster Trucks," and IIR, something similar to the Bronco.....May have been a Chevy....don't recall. I'll look at Great Models and eBay and see what's out there. I am getting rather stoked about 4-by'in the Ranchero.

So, three so far? Hmmmm.....where the rest of the folks?

Mike
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC

*BUMP*

I'd love to do one of these. I absolutely love El Caminos, so, if we can re-ignite this fire, let's do it.

What say ya's?

Cuhail
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:09 AM UTC
CU,

I'm still game for this. Ranchero is on the shelf...just awaiting time to do it.

Mike
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 07:10 AM UTC
HMMMM I remember that pic.LOL I've got a few Pick 'em up trucks in the stash..........
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 10:17 AM UTC
I would very much like to take part in this campaign.

I have an old Tamiya "Toyota Land Cruiser 80".. would that fit the criteria?

This would be the first car kit I build since I was a kid. I'd like to try and see what I can do!

Hisham
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 - 02:37 PM UTC
Count me in...I can do the fire truck, maybe a star wars tie "and" this. I can't do the "gotham city" vehicle thing though for lack of any pics...but I can come up with something else to do her in.
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hisham, the ToYOta would be fine I'm thinking.

Looks like a couple others are re-interested.

Mike
 _GOTOTOP