Scale truck modeling topics.
AIT goodies!
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Got some new goodies from dave natale the other day. 4 sets of dual axle wheels...2 sets of "6 hole" rims with off road tires and 2 sets of alcoa 5 hole wheels with regular tread...he does sweet work! I just pullled them all from a day and a half bath of westleys, so when they dry I'll hit them with a light coat of primer and post a pic. I needed this!...my daughter spilled over a small bottle of laquer thinner on part of the mack b-61 wrecker cab I was working on...guess I'll primer that too.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 01:19 AM UTC
I like his stuff, too. It all seems very nice, and all of the models that I've seen built with his stull turn out great. Now, I don't know if that's his resin, or the modelers!

I've been contemplating getting his Dodge CNT900/1000 conversion, but never having done a conversion I'm a little hesitant. Do you think that would be a good first one?

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
That conversion or the mack f will be my next one{s} from him. I know it seems odd to collect all this resin and not build it{yet}, but I figure that "someday" he won't be around and I'll be one of the lucky guys who has his stuff to tinker with...I missed out on a couple of resin giants{freeman/griffon} already, but not this one!
Hey, till I get thses wheels done, you can see the 6 holes on his done diamond t-921 conversion page...those are the "rims", not the tires that I got. Those will go on pretty much anything from that time period...even macks!{got pics to prove it}.
As for your 1st conversion...I'd say while RMR might be alittle cheaper, dave is the way to go. Let's review; for about $10 more at daves you get "all" the mirrors and other goodies ya need for said cab...not to say RMR isn't worth it{I do have his bighorn conversion!}. I think for a few extra bucks the money would be well spent....imho. A point in RMR's conversion is it has the option to display an engine while dave's doesn't....
If you get that cab, are you going to go as "gas" or "diesel"?...simple difference is an outside aircleaner for the diesel version. I have the dodge truck book{mopar nut that I am!} so if ya need some reference pics, simply ask!
Oh, speaking af asking...whoever you go with, ask what they used for the "donor chassis" so you know what kit to get for the build. I was told by RMR to use the "gmc general" chassis for my bighorn.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 - 03:40 PM UTC
Oh, forgot to add...in 3 or so weeks our anual "enmergency vehicle" show will be held again and for the last two times there's been a dodge l9000 fire truck...my camera will be going with me this time{watch him not show now!}.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 01:38 AM UTC
Bob,

Good info. Thanks. Actually I have (2) GMC Generals in my stash, but I'm not sure I want to donate one to a Bighorn just yet. I'd like to do a Bighorn, but it drives me nuts that you have to spend $50-70 for a doner kit, then $50 for the conversion!

The other Dodge I want to do will be a CNT900 with a diesel engine. I was thinking about puting Sourkraut's Detroit Diesel 6-71 under the hood. It's just the basic engine with no detail, but at least there will be something green under the hood incase you can see the engine compartment.

I bought a Cummins V903 from him a while ago, and it's really nice. I just have to figure out how to convert it to a VT903 for the "Movin' On" KW W925 I want to do.

Jim
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 03:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it drives me nuts that you have to spend $50-70 for a doner kit, then $50 for the conversion! Jim

Yeah, ya have to look at it this way though to justify it...if you really want to built "this" truck, it will take two kits, a donor and a conversion cab. Shop around and you may find the donor alittle cheaper.
I really want that pete bubblenose @ sourkrauts site...but the cost leaves me alittle cold{don't know why it would cost more than the usual conversion cabs?!}
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 12:05 PM UTC
Just so you folks don't think I forgot...I had the 5 hole alcoas and tires in primer and last night I applied the black for the inner rims and front rim inserts. I'll try and ge a coat of alclad II chrome on tonight......

...oh, I'm still cleaning up and tweeking the 6 hole budd rims - but those tires are in primer already.
 _GOTOTOP