_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
Putting decals on rubber or vinyl tires
long_tom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 08:38 AM UTC
I bought a set of aftermarket race car tires with decals to put on them. Question is, I never did this sort of thing before and don't know how to put them on so they look good. Has anyone done this? Thanks.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 - 07:25 PM UTC

Are they dry transfers (rub-ons) or waterslide decals?

-YL
long_tom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Auto Modeler: 21 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Are they dry transfers (rub-ons) or waterslide decals?

-YL

Waterslides, which is why I've been hesitant to do anything with them. Since the surface is vinyl as opposed to painted plastic, I wonder about chemical reactions, especially if you use any sort of decal bonder chemicals.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC
Yeas you can use water slide decals on rubber tires…but at times you may have trouble. I have used them on my NASCAR kits. What worked for me was to clear coat them first then decal followed by a dull coat. Are there any chemical reactions using decal bonders…no. at least I haven’t in my time of using Micro solvents. These day I’m using dry transfers from Slixx decals…

Joe
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 - 05:42 PM UTC

I've never used any setting solution or the like on tires, so I couldn't tell you for sure if there would be any reaction.

But the decaling process is relatively straightforward, just as Joe explained. Start with a good wash to remove any mold release agents still on the tires, followed by a gloss coat, then the decals, and finally a top coat of gloss, semi, or flat, depending on the look you want. The finished product is relatively durable, especially when using the harder vinyl tires. But I have cracked the topcoat a few times when trying to force a wheel into the tire, flexing it. Tip: try not to bend topcoated tires.

Dry transfers are applied in much the same way. Shabo makes some nice transfers as well, if you ever want to try them out. I believe Detail Master carries them.

On some of the older Revellogram NASCAR Goodyear Eagles, I've sanded off the raised tire lettering, leaving a smooth sidewall surface to decal. I don't know what tires you're working with, but this may or may not be a step you need to take.

HTH.

-YL
Blaze24
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 12:11 PM UTC
When i do tires I add a laquer clear since enamel will make it sticky and never dry, plus after about an hour your already to decal it.. Then I apply the decals on at a time and I use Solvaset and Polly sol decal solution with no problems at all. Then after about 24 hours I apply more gloss laquer then afetr that dries I apply flat clear laquer to dull it up a bit.
 _GOTOTOP