Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 794 posts
Auto Modeler: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi guy's,
thanks for the additional information.
I've got both engines, that gives me the choiche of witch one to use.
And if I'm correct, I can still paint it beige anyway.

Erik.

Update soon. Was a little bussy at home.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2008 - 09:06 AM UTC
The Cummins would be beige, and the Caterpillar would be yellow.

Jim
Beyond
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 240 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2008 - 08:50 AM UTC
Hi Erik,

Just want to wish you good luck...
With this nice and serious kit.

I will follow in silence....

Beyond
MacTrucks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 04:29 PM UTC
Erik,

I"m about 1/2 way through building this kit myself, but am building it in my own paint scheme/livery. Mine has grey and rust red parts for the frame. James' comments about the kit not being 100% accurate for the "Can-Do" wrecker featured on the box art are spot-on. Notice the front box photo is heavily photo-retouched. Can still build into a very nice truck.

I don't mind the rubber tires so much as the inaccurate wheels. The inserts they use to change the style just look odd. Not sure what I'm going with yet. I really don't like the front floatation tires. They are actually a car tire from a larger scale model (1/20 or 1/16). They don't look bad unless you know what you are looking for.

Also, I did decide to put a CAT 3408 in mine just because. The engine is from a Revell KW Wrecker that I"m building into something else. I'm choosing to paint the engine CAT yellow thus not representing a factory-fresh build. I believe the Pete 359 and Kenworth kits recently reissued by Revell/Monogram have the 3406 CAT engine. Probably easier to swap a inline 6 (the Cummins) with an inline 6 (3406) than to swap in the big V-8 (3408), but would modelling be without a challenge?

As a whole I think the original Pete 359 that this kit is based on was showing its age and not one of Revell's best offerings. Not a bad kit (ala the worst of AMT's fitting pieces), but test fitting of everything is worth the extra time.

Been quietly watching the thread, but started my winter building schedule and thought I'd put in my 2 cents. Of course with today's exchange rate that's worth about 2 cents less. Good looking build so far anyway!
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi guy's
I didn't quit the job, just couldn't find any time to build.
An it's also been a little to cold to use the airbrush.
But now I can build a whole week.
I worked so hard I can stay home for 8 day's
So you may expect an update this week.

Grtz Erikssson.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Looking forward to some progress pics. I know what you mean about the cold!

I have to ammend what I said earlier about the Caterpillar 3408. After talking with a Peterbilt expert on another board recently, I found out that the Cat 3408 was only available in the 359 with the extended hood. The kit has the standard hood, so it is a 359-119, the extended hood is a 359-127.

Jim
Modelbouwerke
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 07:37 AM UTC
Some progress, no photo's. My camera as a zoomfaillure and is under repair.
The chassis is completed. Matt black painted, the gimbals (is this correct?) in Tamiya Metal Gun color. Suspension blue and yellow.
The engine is also completed, sand-yellow (beige) and now the radiator can be placed.
Next I'll start on the interior and the sleeping-cabine.
I'll try to snap some pictures as soon as possible.

Erikssson.
TravisS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2012 - 08:50 PM UTC
Hello guys.

I know this is an old post and no matter how hard i look i can find it through your site lol. I dont use forum much but i figured it would be the best way to figure out some stuff. I had a friend give me this model and he must have started it once but all he did was paint a few things on the frame as far as i can tell so i was looking it over as best as i could tell it looks like its all there i was going to compare pics of your kit to verify. but i was looking and saw part numbers 4 and 5 look like shorter frame rails do u use these at all they are some of the painted stuff and i dont see them anywhere in the book. One of the frame rails that are used is broken in half im going to fix it cross fingers. i guess the but thing is ive never made anything this big and i dont want to get half way though and find somthing missing since they now dont make it anymore. sorry if im pestering u with this question any help would be great just looking into restarting a childhood hobby. Thanks again
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 06:49 AM UTC
Travis, if the kit you're refering to is the Can-Do Wrecker kit, then the shorter frame rails are probably part of the Peterbilt 359 kit that the Can-Do kit is (incorrectly) based on. At least I think that's what you're asking.

Jim
TravisS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Auto Modeler: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
ok i guess that would make sence cant wait to start it just need to finish the truck im working on. Thx for the info to. I was also wordering if the person who started this post ever finished the truck was just wondering
youngtiger1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
Auto Modeler: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Man, that is alot of plastic in that kit. I have been thinking about getting one but everytime it gets nutty price on ebay.

Looks like you doing a good start on this project.

Mike
jim496
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Auto Modeler: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2015 - 04:46 AM UTC
Is kit number 7541 the Peter build are ker still available and how my h is it and how do I order it? Thnx
 _GOTOTOP