_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Nismo 350Z WIP
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:18 PM UTC
HOLY SHABOLY...

I'm either blind or dumb, but I missed that the kitmaker network had an auto modeler website. I'm pumped!

Anyway, since I found this place, I'm going to start a build thread of my newest build. I went to my LHS and the signifigant other decided I needed to build this car. So here it is, a 350Z Nismo version, it's going to be done in TS-49 Bright Red.

Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hi Eric

Very cool subject. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
Glad to see you found the site, great subject. You’re a brave man as red is a hard color to lay down. Will you be using any aftermarket PE. Looking forward to your next progress posting.

Joe
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 07:45 AM UTC
Being that my experience with cars is limited, I'm not really sure where to find PE for cars. Can you give me any suggestions? The kit is lacking desperately in the brakes, but I'm not sure there's much else I could do for it. I've seen seat belt kits before that I wouldn't mind using. Just not sure where to pick them up.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
seeing as how I'm sometimes very impatient, I started with the body today. I still have to make a trip to my LHS to get the base color, but here she sits after a couple coats of primer. just waiting to wetsand now.

In case anyone's interested in the condition of the kit, there are a couple bad mold seams on the front bumper and all along the back hatch down the rear bumper. nothing a little sanding can't solve, but just a warning.

I also should have prepped the can of primer a little better. It didn't lay down quite right on the roof. I think next time though I'm gonna try my luck with mr. surfacer 1200 anyway.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hi Eric,

Love those Z's! Built a couple myself. I find that Tamiya's TS spray colors shot through an airbrush are just about foolproof for a great shine. I'm in Van Wert.

Mike T
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
Alright, so here's where the red paint is as of 3 pm today. I spent 3 hours sanding this thing smooth.

and after another 3 hours of polishing, this is where I left off.

I burned through the paint there on the rear right quarter, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that. I REALLY don't want to try to repaint the whole section.

Now I'm off to the interior. It's all painted a base of semi gloss black.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:36 PM UTC
Alright, time for a few more pictures. The kit's just about done. I have to fix the hood unfortunately. I had a little overspray get on it from painting the side skirts, and well, when stupid me tried using alcohol to get it off i smeared up the clear coat. I'm going to mask off everything but the hood and try my best at fixing it. if I can't fix it, I'm going to smooth it out and order a carbon fiber decal sheet!

interior all done up

there's those fun metal transfers the kit comes with. I think they look pretty amazing and realistic.

I was sitting at my computer and just happened to see this, and thought it looked like a cool picture to show off how smooth the body is. I'm happy all my hours of sanding and polishing paid off.

Thanks for looking guys!
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 04:49 PM UTC
Hope it's not to late or save for the next build, but here's a site you may or may not have seen for PE and detail sets.

Chassis and Brake detail

And here is the site...

Model Car Garage

Your paint work looks awesome, nicely laid on. Your interior work is just as good.

Great work,
Joe
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 07:33 PM UTC
woah, thanks a lot for the site joe. There are some definite purchases in my future. I plan on starting the tamiya xanavi skyline, and the brakes are definitely lacking some detail. I'll probably spend a fortune when I start my supra back up that I'm opening up.

So a few pictures I wanted to show last time didn't upload for some reason, so here they are.

I was surprised to find the pre-cut masks to make painting the glass painless!

one of the greatest names in motorsports!

so here's the upclose AFTER I tried to fix the problem (much smaller to begin with). needless to say I failed miserably. It gives me a good excuse to get some carbon fiber and play with it though!

So despite the mishap, I do have some decent pictures. New camera this time, so they're better (last bunch were really grainy....)

I think this will be my trick shot, meaning that I'll use this type of angle outside somewhere to get the most realistic shot I can and see who thinks it's a real car. I think I'm gonna have to lose the wash in the panel lines.

gotta love the wheels. I know I do. I'm surprised how good the brakes came out, considering they're all one piece.

When I get the finishing touches done, I'll get the final pictures up and the outside pics, but until then I need to get my campaign build done that has a deadline this FRIDAY!!! WAHHHH

rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
Nice work on your Z Erick and like the carbon fiber idea, your pictures look better also.
Hisham
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Nice work. The car looks great.

How do you do the "panel lines", like around the doors and hood and such? Do you use a pin wash or a very thin tipped pen?

Cheers
Hisham
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 - 11:02 PM UTC
Looks awesome so far Eric. A shame you burned through the paint, when polishing.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 01:25 PM UTC
thanks all for your comments

The wash was done oddly enough with a wash I got for my aircraft. It's Promodeler Wash, really nice and easy. smear it on, let it dry, and I used a damp q-tip to remove the excess.
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 01:12 PM UTC
i forgot to mention one important thing. This is my first completed car model! I'm happy to finally have one under my belt (on top of all the planes!) now to build a ship and a tank....
 _GOTOTOP