For NASCAR car kits.
MANCO NASCAR REGAL
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:26 AM UTC
I dont know if anybody is interested in seeing this or not as it is an older build that I did in 1987. It is a ficticious NASCAR Buick Regal sponsored by the duct tape company Manco which my wife works for. The color was Testors white with Testors glosscote and as can be seen it has yellowed. It was a pretty good model at the time and won first place in the adult division at the Cleveland Craft and Hobby Show contest in October 1987. I detailed in using the Mountain Dew Regal detailing articles in Scale Auto Enthusiast magazine that were published during the 80's. The decals (except for the small sponsor decals) were all homemade.

calvin2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 886 posts
Auto Modeler: 8 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 08:48 AM UTC
Nice looking race car. I am partial to the older nascar anyway. one day I want to build Harry Gant's skoal bandit and Allen Kulwicki's no. 7
Later,
Kelly
ejclide
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Auto Modeler: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 03:30 PM UTC
that is a very nice looking kit. no surprise on the win back in the day. I'm amazed at how much the paint has yellowed. I'm assuming you have a coat or two of clear over it?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Auto Modeler: 256 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 04:37 PM UTC
Aw yes this was a time when NASCAR was strong, the best years in my opinion. Your idea is great and detail work is super. I see why it’s a first place winner. The decal work is pretty good for 21year old printer technology. What did you use to make the window net.

Did you build any other NASCAR cars and do you have plans on redoing this Buick anytime soon. There are some great decal sheet out today…

Mike's Decals

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 06:08 PM UTC
Wow...that brings back some memories! I loved those NASCAR kits when they were first released. I was especially fond of the Regal, since my dad had an '86 at the time.

I may be mistaken, but I swear I've seen this model before. Is it possible it was shown in Scale Auto Enthusiast, as part of that contest's coverage back in the day?

-YL
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 02:17 AM UTC
Thats a pretty amazing build Gary.
Thanks for sharing.
WindSword70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Auto Modeler: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 08:04 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. To answer the questions about the model, it does have 3 coats of Testors glosscote on it and the lesson learned is dont use glosscote on white because it does really yellow after a period of time. This model has always been displayed in my basement so it has not been exposed to sunlight to cause the yellowing.
The green Manco logos and the numbers were cut out of solid green decal sheet. The duck heads and hood logo arent really decals--they are paper cutouts from some of the company advertising literature and held on with contact cement. The smaller sponsor decals are from various decal sheets. The window net was made fron 1/8 inch ribbon. I am not going to rebuild this but I do have more of the old Regal kits to build. I dont concentrate on NASCAR--I like to build many different subjects.
This model was featured in the Scale Auto Magazine enthusiast gallery--I believe that was around 1988. So I accomplished two goals with this model--I won a first place in a fairly large (and my only) contest and I always wanted to have a car model in a magazine. It was cutting edge back when I built it but I think it looks rather crude compared with the car models built today.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2008 - 12:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This model was featured in the Scale Auto Magazine enthusiast gallery--I believe that was around 1988. So I accomplished two goals with this model--I won a first place in a fairly large (and my only) contest and I always wanted to have a car model in a magazine. It was cutting edge back when I built it but I think it looks rather crude compared with the car models built today.

I knew I saw this model is SAE. Thanks for keeping me from having to go through all my back issues...

-YL
 _GOTOTOP