_GOTOBOTTOM
The Garage
For general automotive modeling or non-modeling topics.
AutoModeler denizens and favorite genres?
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hey wrenchers! In an effort to see what kind of talent and interest we have over here in Jim's Garage and what we kind-of stick to, subject-wise over here.

I have to say, I'm loving the 70's muscle car era. I always have. When it comes to 1/25, I think the crappy molds of AMT provide the most scratchbuilding opportunities where interiors and engines are concerned. I started modeling cars in 1978 or so. The aftermarket scene was not nearly as prevelant and the "web" was non-existant for me. I used to buy my models in the toy section at the Eagle Foods because that's how far I could ride my bike. The selection was always MPC (Now AMT, of course) and so that's what I built the most of.
I model the uglies today for the nostalgia I experience seeing the sprues I worked on as a kid and because I have the skill to make them look better than they were intended to.
I can't do any of the Tamiya 1/24 kits like Ferraris or NSXs or the like because, crisp molding and tinted glass and hundreds of dollars in PE, Resin and such makes scratchbuilding unneccisary and detailing tedious and expensive.
It may sound silly, but, it's me. I [u]do[/u] like seeing build-alongs with the Tamiya kits. I just don't wanna build one.
I think I want to do a 1/32 big rig or two. I keep coming across them for sale on eBay and, after so many armor/AFV 1/35 builds, I think I can do some big mods and super-detailing on one just for the sheer fun of it. I'd love to do a "what-if" logging tractor cab into a cool heavy stump-jumper.

So chime in. The Garage needs a good thread, this is my attempt. What do you focus on, Auto-subject wise? Trucks? Cars? Bikes? Let's hear it!

Cuhail
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 01:16 PM UTC
I mostly build 1/25 trucks. I got back into modeling last year after being away from the bench for about 17 years. My first truck back isn't perfect (who's models are?), and she's not all that pretty; but I like her. I tried some new things with her, and I'm satisfied with the results. My next one was better.

I'm currently working on a 1/700 Spruance-class destroyer. This is my first attempt at photo-etch railings, and I think I'm going to go blind! It's taking shape, and I'll be happy when it's done.

You mentioned that you build 1/25 AMT cars, and that you want to biuld a 1/32 rig. There is only (1) 1/32 truck tractor on the market right now, and that's the Revell Snap Kenworth T600A. It reperesents a 1986-1989 truck, and builds nicely right out of the box. It is a curbside model (no engine), and the detail is a little sparce; but it does look nice. I just finished up one a couple of weeks ago. One thing to consider is that there are no aftermarket details available for trucks in this scale.

If I were you I'd pick up a Revell USA Snap Peterbilt 359 in 1/25. It builds out nicely, has good detail, is relatively acurate, and will look good with your cars. It has a relatively well detailed Caterpillar 3406 under the hood (which tilts), and there are more aftermarket details available in this scale should you wish to go that route. This kit represents a 1986-ish Peterbilt 359-119. Do shy away from this kit because it's a snap kit. I've seen come amazing things done with this kit.

If you're interested in doing a logging truck you're in luck! AMT is planning on reissuing the Peerless Logging Trailer in 2009. It'll look nice on that Peterbilt I told you about above (have to remove the sleeper though), or just about any other truck tractor.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:09 AM UTC

Thanks for replying Jim.
Thanks for the info on the models out there in the truck section. As I see it, 1/32 without the engine will do just fine as long as I have some good reference pics of an engine. I can scratch it out toot sweet. Hell, that's the fun of it all, right? Well, it is for me.

Cuhail
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 06:25 AM UTC
If you can scratch a 1/32 engine then you've got WAY more tallent them me. I'm still trying to figure out how to modify a 1/25 Caterpillar 3208N to a 3208T. Got some pics, but don't have the tallent. And I'm working from a kit! It's either that or figure out somehow to scratch build a Ford Diesel in 210 hp for my 1987 forn LNT8000. (See the problem is the AMT kit is a 1973 Ford LNT8000 with a Cat 3208N, but the 3208N was not available in 1987 on the LNT8000, only the 3208T.)

Jim
matt
Staff MemberGroup Build Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Auto Modeler: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:01 AM UTC
I'm starting to say "Screw it" and mix 1/32 scale sruff in with the 1/35 militart stuff. I've kinda got this whole little display case T2K dio thing goin' on in my head. I'm plannig on mixing all kinds of stuff into it.... Heck a 1/25 scale diesel could pose as a larger Genset in 1/32.

I seem to be on a Emergency vehicle kick now. Kitbashing some 1/35 &1/32 scale stuff... and gonna do some 1/25 stuff as well... Diecast kitbashes included.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 07:34 AM UTC

reply to jimb

The scratchbuilding is easier than you think.
Just make the basic shape with plastic

Add some bits...

Start tightening it up and carve a manifold.

Some pulleys (I made em from the rings at the end of a guitar string)

Make headers from solder and drop it in.

Now, I didn't go into any good detail there, but, I hope you see that it's not so tough. That's a 1/32 former monster truck (USA-1, Chevy).

-C
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

reply to Matt

Now where have I heard this before???
Hi Matt! C'mon, ya keep teasing on the 1/25 stuff, but, I never get to see some. Get 'er done!

I'd love to see some of you T2K stuff too.

Good to see ya.
Cuhail
Hwa-Rang
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Auto Modeler: 2,182 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 11:11 PM UTC
I'm definitely a muscle car fan. Mid 60's to very early 70's. Do like to build chrome'n'fins as well.
Inspired by Robert Vaglio's rat rod, I will try to build one in near future. I have quite a lot of spares from my own builds, but mostly from when my father was active in this hobby in the 50,60 and early 70's. Should be fun to try to make something out of all those spareparts.
rv1963
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,888 posts
Auto Modeler: 806 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hey Murph i like this topic and i am mostly into 1/25 and 1/24 1960's muscle cars and some 1950's it's what i went through high school working on in my spare time. I to do not build Tamiya cars because of their inflated price i could build 3 Revell kits and have some money left over for supplies their kits are good but no kit is that good. Thanks Jesper i am glad i inspired you to do a rat rod very cool my next build will be of my 1 to 1 car my 2006 Mustang GT Revell makes a very good kit of this car and also i will be working on a 1955 Chevy gasser rat rod should be interesting.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:51 AM UTC

I'm glad you all are responding. In the future, I want to start some campaigns/group builds around the AutoModeler forums and I think this thread will help everyone here know their neighbors and fellow modelers.
The muscle car subject will always be hot, I think. Plenty of subjects to model and soooo easy to manipulate and alter with kitbashing and scratchbuilding. The largeness of the scales bring all sorts of possibilities to upgrade without going broke on aftermarket items.
Rob. You punctuated my point about the Tamiya kits. Too expensive in this tough economic time to buy the kit. Buy the aftermarket bits, brass and resin. I just can't get into the European/Japanese cars either. I find the owners of most of Tamiya's [u]subjects [/u] in real life are pretentious and snobby and I can't find make myself a fan of such machines. Of course, IRL, I grew up just west of the North Shore of Chicago, so cars like Tamyias subjects drive around all the time....with rich snobby people in them. Yeah, definitely a downer.
So I, too, dig the muscle cars. I understand.

So, who else do we have roaming around AutoModeler?

Cuhail
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
Auto Modeler: 339 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 03:43 PM UTC
While I try to keep an open mind about my automotive modeling subjects, I tend to gravitate to certain types of kits. While there are exceptions in my stash, I usually build Chevy or Mopar musclecars, Chevy pickups and just about any pre-'48 Ford (especially the '40). I will also build a motorcycle now and then, as well as the occasional emergency vehicle. I have crafted my fair share of Impalas, too, since there are so many great kits out there, and I am a big fan of the '60's-era GM B body.

I rarely build anything strictly OOB. Modifications to kits are usually mild, but I have been known to get crazy and chop the top on something just to see how it looks. I will also get into a groove when I'll work only on one type of vehicle for a few months, like police cars, for example.

Things I don't often build: NASCAR, drag cars, monster trucks, Mustangs or imports (German, Italian or Japanese). I don't actively dislike any of those subjects, but they never seem to find their way onto my workbench.

-YL
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 - 05:52 PM UTC
I wish I'd found this sight earlier.
Anyway, my stash is about 50/50 aircraft and cars. I build only American cars and of those probably 99% are 60's and 70's Mopars. My oldest son builds with me and he's getting into the import stuff more and more. My finished cars pretty much dog crap compaired to what you guys turn out, but It's fun and I'm getting better.
Basically I build airplanes till I get sick of them then I'll knock out a sublime green Cuda' or bronze metallic Road Runner etc. I like stuff that goes fast whether it's in the air or on the ground.
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Auto Modeler: 1,620 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 07:29 PM UTC
Who else..."me"...I built all the things I liked as a kid, "sworn to fun, loyal to none...models that is". When I came back into it a few years ago I started with armor{how can you screw up flat paint...well, I did-lol}, built a bunch of those and got burnt out, and started one plane and one ship, then, I built a semi{that was the ticket!}, but the cars still call to me. I want to build all the old cars I had when I was young, the way I had them{that'll be 8 mopars and 3 fords and 5 chevys}. Two years ago my step father gave me back a model squad I built for him eons ago that hadn't faired so well in his keep, so I could refurbish it. The only thing still good was the little bag I made on the front seat with "bosa" on it{the state boys seemed to like bosa donuts I guess, or at least he did}. The illinois state decals are yellowed, I never did the side marker lights{shame on me, but it was a rush job as I recall}, and the trunk and engine need details of any kind...so, I need to build a few cars of my own, get good and then redo his.
I'm not a big PE nut, nor do I run brake lines or anything, but I could learn to one of these days.......to each his own.
When I ever do all the cars I had, "then" I could start the motorcycles{ah, the days of misspent money on toys, and being young and single....I miss the young and single partsand the fact that the toys were 1 to 1 scale!}
 _GOTOTOP