_GOTOBOTTOM
Cars
Discuss all types of automotive modeling here.
Tamiya RX7-R1
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Auto Modeler: 95 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hey there guys,

I really need to take more, and better pictures of this, my own kit and the only picture I have of it is at a show!! LOL

Anyway, it is the Tamiya 1/24 RX7-R1. The kit comes with parts to make it a left or right hand drive, since I am in Canada, and the RX-7 is one of my favorite cars...I of course went with the left hand drive.

Exterior color is Vallejo Copper, over a Black base coat. Gloss coat is Future. First time I have used Vallejo on a car (alot of the car guys shun using an acrylic on a car), and first time I have used Future as a gloss coat (other than to aid washes on armor and to get the decals to adhere better).

I think the Future came out really well....it is not polished, that is the shine from 3-4 coats of Future. May not look it in the photo, the shine is much better in person, but you can see a decent reflection of the lights in the hood, and the ticket in the door. Unfortunately the flash from the camera washed out the copper color of the car, making it look more orange than it is (hence why I need to take more photos). Topped it all off with a custom New Brunswick (my home province) license plate (which I need to get a picture of! LOL).

Hope you like it! Will post more pics when I get them.

Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 04:48 AM UTC

Nice work! I do like the color.

Is it a curbside model, or, is there an engine under that hood? I'd love to see a well-modeled Wankel!

My nephew is an RX-7 nut. He's got a 94 in the garage he's working on. Cool car.

So, yes! More pictures.

Cuhail
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
Looks good Scott. Get a set up with a piece of colored posterboard (light blue is a nice color) set your car on it near a window and use natural light for your photos-not sunlight though-that's a bit too harsh. I too use Future. I use polishing powder that came with my dremel and an old t-shirt to buff them out. Try it you'll be happy.

Mike T
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good Scott. Get a set up with a piece of colored posterboard (light blue is a nice color) set your car on it near a window and use natural light for your photos-not sunlight though-that's a bit too harsh.

Mike T

Awesome advice. I was really happy with how reflective real light is. It made my GTO mirror-like.
There is no real polish on this finish, just rubbed out progressively-

The blue construction paper does make a difference too. But, the natual light is the key.

Pictures are where you show off. Make use of the outside to really show off a paintjob you're proud of.
Cuhail
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Yeah, I have a Wal-Mart special Portable photo booth, and all the lights, just too lazy sometimes to set it up! LOL
Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 05:29 PM UTC
I'm currently working on this kit as well. It does include a motor in this kit which is a nice feature seeing as my Tamiya '82 Skyline 2000RS did not. I like the colour you chose for the outside. I'm actually doing mine Competition Yellow Mica with a black leather interior. Two things I noticed though, you forgot to paint the door handle and the window frame black , as well as you did not put the front turn signals in lol Just wondering as well, do you have issues with wheel clearance in the front on your kit? I've noticed that with the body on I cannot fully turn the wheels and have to keep them straight in order to keep them from rubbing the fenders. Anywho, nice build. Would like to see how you did the motor and underside.
LinkinPark
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 63 posts
Auto Modeler: 50 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 04:42 AM UTC
Nice job scott.
Love the color, BTW what year is it.

Hunter
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Auto Modeler: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job scott.
Love the color, BTW what year is it.

Hunter

It's 2009 now Hunter
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 07:09 AM UTC
There was no year on the box, it is however a Gen III Rx-7.....so it could be anything from 1995? I think is when the Gen II came out, up to today... as I think they are still producing the Gen III, unfortunately the RX-7 hasn't been available in North America for many years, and was eventually replaced in NA by the RX-8.....however I believe the RX-7 is still being produced for the Asian market.

I used to have a Gen I '79 RX7......great car for its time.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
Auto Modeler: 522 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 12:51 PM UTC
Very nice Scott, brings back some memories for me. My first car was a Datsun 240Z. I built the engine to the extreem and did some slight body work to her. On the weekends I used to race all the rich kids in their RX-7's and Scioroccos and the occasional Mustang or Camero. My two boys got me a Hasegawa 240Z kit for Christmas and I wish I had the time to build it right now.

Nice work. Looks great
Hermon
Steve1479
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 164 posts
Auto Modeler: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 05:10 PM UTC
This kit represents an FD (Gen III) RX-7. Due to the fact that the spoiler included in the kit is the stock factory spoiler usually seen on a 1992 thru 1994. In 1995 the RX-7 went on the the second production phase called R2. Just some facts, I import and export cars from Japan into Canada as a side business so I know tons about these fine pieces.

Gen III ( FD Series ) 1992 through 2002
Gen II ( FC Series ) 1986 through 1991 ( My fav gen =D )
Gen I ( SA/FB Series ) 1979 through 1985
 _GOTOTOP