_GOTOBOTTOM
Paint & Finish
For automotive paint and finishing topics.
paints to thick???
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 62 posts
Auto Modeler: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:00 PM UTC
Hi There
I was wondering what you guys/gals would use to sand down paint?.My problem is that I painted my kw model with tamiya primer and then a camel yellow rattle can(to lazy to airbrush).It is building up to thick after 3 coats and the seams are still to grey any advice?.I only have a few places to sand as its not that bad only in several areas.I dont have to strip it just tweak it.Thanks in advance from me(shawn). pics are in my photos I just cant seem to upload them to the forum.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Auto Modeler: 203 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:10 PM UTC
You mght try sandng the paint down with some 600 or finer wet dry, used wet.

An old trick from an old "Yellow Wing" aircraft modeler---- when using gloss yellow, use a flat yellow first over the primer or in place of the grey primer.. You'll need less gloss, and still end up with complete gloss coverage.
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hi
Thank you very much Dave I will try that.I was going to dirty up the truck but not smother it if you know what I mean.
Cuhail
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Auto Modeler: 310 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 04:28 PM UTC

Hey, also, keep in mind the cardinal painting rules:

-Multiple light coats are much more satisfying than fewer heavy coats.

-Always hold the rattle can at least 12 inches away from the piece you are painting.

-Start spraying before your sweep over the model and stop spraying after you completely pass the model. Don't stop halfway. Don't attempt to "spot spray".

-If there are panel lines engraved into the subject, do your passes along those lines first.

-Wait at least 15 minutes between your sprays. After your final spray, let it sit in a dustfree box for (I would say) a couple of days.

Hang in there. Painting is a talent that comes with patience and practice.

Hope I've helped.

Cuhail
carleton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 07:00 PM UTC
HI and thanks Cuhail
I will be back at it on thursday.Day job tommorow involves fixing a real kenworth.Batt cables rubbed thru and caught fire.10-12 thou damage,lots of remove and replace going on.I thought model glue was bad I glued the windshield into that baby tonight and man liquid rubber everywhere.I washed with thinner for 20 min .Lots of laughter from the guys as it was in my hair and on every part of my coveralls.Thanks again for the info and thursday we shall see if I can repair this.shawn
 _GOTOTOP